Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bloody football!

(90 Posts)
phoenix Mon 06-Jan-20 19:57:15

Evening all,

Just come through to the sitting room after supper, and find that from 7.30 until 10.00 BBC 1 are showing bloody football!

That's not what I pay my licence fee for. Fortunately Mr P isn't a football fan, so it won't be on here.

The rest of the BBC offerings for this evening aren't exactly inspiring either.........

Suppose I'd better get the tin helmet out and duck behind the sofa, and wait for those who are pro the game to start saying that there isn't enough football on tv etc.

Greyduster Mon 20-Jan-20 10:39:29

I am not a football fan - I think the professional game is a huge bore - but all the men in our family are and I have two big beefs about it.
a) that with all the money that is sloughing around in the game, none of it seems to even trickle down into the grass roots game that encourages youngsters to get out, do some useful exercise and be part of a team; no money for ground improvements, equipment, kit.... it’s a struggle for some teams to keep their heads above water.
b) our professional team has gone up into the premiership now and rather than only Saturday afternoon and some Tuesday evening matches b*******g up the week, we now hardly know which day of the week a match will be played on. Not unknown for Friday and Sunday to come into the equation too.
I confine my spectating to junior league football. Much more entertaining and no prima donnas - yet.

ladymuck Mon 20-Jan-20 10:33:44

The thing I find most annoying is when it is on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time. What on earth is the point of that?

Witzend Mon 20-Jan-20 10:31:53

Not just football, it’s all the other stuff we’re just not interested in, too

Luckily there’s a mass of stuff I’ve previously recorded and often haven’t got around to watching. Plus good old catch up. We’re currently catching up with Wisting (BBC4) and The Trial of Christine Keeler, which IMO is brilliant.

We do quite often find something worth watching on BBC4 plenty of interesting documentaries, but what I often fancy most is a really absorbing drama. Anything insufficiently absorbing will unfailingly have me nodding off on the sofa.

whywhywhy Mon 20-Jan-20 10:00:25

I’m not a football fan and wish that there were more craft programmes on TV. I also love quizzes and VERA!

Lovetopaint037 Mon 20-Jan-20 09:56:56

They pay so much for football coverage that they milk it for all they can. Not only the game but the inquests after. Come on, get off the schedule is already overdue and now we have to endure more examination of the game.

Billybob4491 Wed 08-Jan-20 06:54:39

Evie, you wouldn't think that football is like watching paint dry if you were a supporter of my team!

Smurf44 Wed 08-Jan-20 04:01:38

I fully agree that there is FAR too much football on TV. When the BBC news finishes at 10.30ish on a Saturday evening, they immediately show Match of the Day, which is bad enough. But I am really annoyed when I wake up on Sunday morning to watch the BBC News around 8am and find that the BBC are showing a repeat of previous night’s Match of the Day from 7.30 am! Why does anyone need to watch the same wretched match again only 9 hours later? Presumably these matches are on Catchup and footy fans have the equipment to record these events! Sunday gets even worse with matches often played mid-afternoon and then the evening finishes again with yet another match after the 10 pm news. I really am beginning to feel like a second class BBC viewer as I hate having all the football matches (male and female) forced on me which often ruin normal programme schedules. I’m glad I’m not alone in this, but the BBC don’t seem to care! BTW, I do like a good quiz programme - eg Pointless etc.

Stella14 Tue 07-Jan-20 19:14:21

I’ve always hated football, even the sound of the commentators made me cringe! Then, last Summer, out of curiosity, I watched the England Women’s Team in the World Cup. They were so good, I couldn’t help but appreciate the skill involved. Subsequently, I have become a Liverpool Football fan (My husband’s city and team). No one could be more amazed than me! My ex husband would never believe it. I spent the 29-years of our marriage determinedly avoiding it! I absolutely love watching Liverpool play now, and I know more about the players etc than my husband who is only a moderately committed fan.

As for the BBC, IMO, it really is time that the licence fee was scrapped. It is essentially a tax on people, many of who can ill afford it, whilst their Chief Executive, other senior people and the ‘stars’ rake off millions from it.

Magrithea Tue 07-Jan-20 18:39:24

These days there are plenty of other channels (and you don't need Sky to get all of them) so there's surely something to watch? Or get a Firestick and start on The Crown!

My DH is a footie fan but won't impose it unless his team are playing. I grew up with 3 brothers and a Dad who were all fans so learnt to love the 'beautiful game'!

Evie64 Tue 07-Jan-20 18:04:00

Football - like watching paint dry! Now Rugby, that's a different matter altogether, all those big beefy fellas grin. You don't see them falling over and calling for the magic sponge do you?

NotAGran55 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:15:24

I’m a Reading FC season ticket holder and I LOVE ? ‘my boys ‘
I hate the summer when the season is over and feel lost on Saturday afternoons sad

gillyknits Tue 07-Jan-20 17:14:23

We arched The Choir, Aylesbury Prison and it was really worth watching. I didn’t expect to empathise with young criminals but it was quite moving. Poor Gareth really had his work cut out and looked very frazzled by the end. For me that was better than any football match.

Waltz Tue 07-Jan-20 17:13:45

I love football but only watch if I want to,my husband will watch all football,either I watch on another tv or he does.The tv licences is a joke anyway.

Xxjanexx Tue 07-Jan-20 16:59:29

I do like football...I wouldn’t say I’m glued to the screen when it’s on.
My husband is a Leeds supporter who was playing last night!
And living in Dorset I keep a eye on Bournemouth!

But I agree the wages they receive is absolutely ridiculous and a lot off them are mamby pamby.
I’d love to hear what the older football players think about the way it’s played today.

Saggi Tue 07-Jan-20 16:50:48

Watford fan here Charlie 2753.... so I’m ‘off’ it a bit at moment. Hubby supports Spurs so spends every minute of day shouting at ( on screen) or about,Mr. Mourinho..... to anyone who’ll listen. I like footie, but have to admit it’s all a bit overload.

Greciangirl Tue 07-Jan-20 16:47:59

Thank goodness for On Demand T.V, Netflix, Catchup T.V,
Films, documentaries.
I fear I would go mad if football dominated the telly.
Fortunately, I can and do resort to the above channels when needed.
Hate football with a vengeance.

TwiceAsNice Tue 07-Jan-20 16:43:31

Hate football. Will be glued to the Rugby though. You can’t be Welsh and not like Rugby. Welsh are the best of course!?

Pearlsaminger Tue 07-Jan-20 16:31:56

You’re welcome. Though I’d have Adrián back in a heartbeat haha grin

Can only wish the best for him - which is what he deserves.

We’re playing Liverpool in a couple of weeks - that one will be interesting. ?

Hoping to burst your bubble with a few claret and blue ones of our own. Hope it’s on TV too ?

For the people who hate the football in the evenings - don’t blame the game, blame the TV channels. I‘D rather not go out on a cold Friday night to see my team - I’d rather watch them on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm.

But when the TV companies are paying £1m+ to show the games at certain times of course the clubs will alter them. Who’d pass up a million plus for a few hours of the build up chat, the game itself and the after comments? All the teams do it. The leagues are not run by the FA now but by Sky, BT Sports, BBC, ITV and now Amazon.

Foxyferret Tue 07-Jan-20 16:19:23

I am fed up of all the soaps which dominate the channels most evenings. Never watch a soap and don’t want to, think how many hours they take up per week. As soon as a soap makes way for a sporting event, people go mad and get annoyed but how often does this happen? Not so many times and for me, it’s a nice change from all the soaps. I also love Wimbledon and am glued to it for 2 weeks.

Grandma70s Tue 07-Jan-20 15:49:39

I am baffled by football. How on earth can anyone get so worked up about who manages to kick a ball into a net? It’s hardly an achievement.

Luckily the only person in our family who gives a hoot is ten years old, and doesn’t live with me.

Chardy Tue 07-Jan-20 15:41:17

About 20 years ago I realised how watching the 2 main soaps dominated my evenings, so like any other addiction, I went cold turkey and gave it all up.
DD and I do a bit of craft while watching a lot of sport, predominantly on Sky (there isn't a lot of football on BBC, just a share of the FA Cup and a couple of odd matches, unless there's tournament on). In fact we watch little of the rest of TV, except quizzes and the odd exceptional drama. This week's cricket has been brilliant.

blondenana Tue 07-Jan-20 15:11:49

I hate football and not happy at missing Eastenders, and it's not even repeated like it used to be
There was an hour of Coronation Street, so i bet football will be in ITV on wednesday
I don't watch a lot on BBC1 but i also think it could be on a separate sports channel

Phloembundle Tue 07-Jan-20 13:58:57

TV is crap. I use Netflix as there is so much good stuff. BBC iplayer and sounds also have interesting progs.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 07-Jan-20 13:50:03

I am not a sports fan neither was late DH.We would however make exception to when England got as far as the world cup finals.With so many channels I am never at a loss for what to watch and there are always my recordings.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Jan-20 13:40:44

With all the channels we have now, even without Sky, Netflix, etc, and the many ways we can record, download, cast what we want when we want, I don’t see what the issue is. I only watch sport when the Olympics are on, but others watching something I don’t doesn’t affect me, apart from when it’s DH. And if he can put up with my viewing habits, I can certainly put up with his football.

As a Corrie fan, I know that many more hours are given over to soaps than to sport, and I for one think there are way too many episodes per week now.

What’s normally on BBC1 at 8 o’clock on a Monday?