Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I Jealous or is this normal?

(84 Posts)
FridayIsComing Tue 14-Jan-20 00:39:26

Yes i know its a case of attitudes changing over time. I understand this logic. But i cant help but feel angry and hurt when i sit through this new embracing attitude from mil. Its such a negative place to be and i cant snap out of it.

Mbra12 Tue 14-Jan-20 00:34:06

Nearly 50 years ago my parents thought it was horrendous that we might be having sex before marriage. They insisted that we got married immediately. We didn’t as waited until graduation. Roll forward a few years and my married aunt meets another man and lives ‘in sin’ and now they think it is ok. Despite the earlier issues we always got on well with my parents and had loads of fun together. Times and attitudes change.

sharon103 Tue 14-Jan-20 00:20:59

Mother-in-law in those 5 years since you married has perhaps mellowed with age. Maybe she has realised she was harsh on you and your husband and was wrong in her demands but is too proud to admit and say sorry for the hurt she caused.
Times change.

FridayIsComing Tue 14-Jan-20 00:19:25

We dont pander to mil anymore. We do a bit but not so much as before. Mil has reined it in since the arrival of LO. i just dread the whole wedding lead up as it brings up horrible memories. I dont want new sil or anyone to think i am jealous. This is purely a mil problem.

Buffybee Tue 14-Jan-20 00:16:53

I can’t say whether you are hurt or jealous but I would be annoyed with Mil, after all the palaver you'd had to go through for your wedding to suit her and now for her other Son, it’s all fine.
After saying the above, I really don’t think that you should pander so much to your Mil, you and your husband have your own family now and your unit should come first, before anyone else.

FridayIsComing Tue 14-Jan-20 00:16:17

Mil said the line about being happy if they are happy within 5 minutes of meeting her so i dont think she knew her long enough to like her.
I am glad Bil n his wife to be are having a smooth ride. But the deep hurt and obstacles dh n i went through before our wedding and after was horrific all because i was not catholic.
I think mil has learnt to be better about this but i feel i am reliving every difficulty every-time i see how open and accepting she is of her new dil.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jan-20 00:13:48

I think losing her mum probably has softened your mother in laws edges.
Bereavement has a way of teaching people what is important in life.

Hetty58 Tue 14-Jan-20 00:10:44

You can't compare the past with the present situation. Your MIL has become more reasonable (or lowered her standards) since your marriage, that's all.

Maybe you suspect that she gets along better with (or likes more) her new DIL to be? Does it really matter? It could be that she's just learned to keep her opinions to herself though.

FridayIsComing Tue 14-Jan-20 00:03:38

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a difficult situation atm. My DH brother is getting married. He is a good guy and i was really pleased about this.
DH comes from a catholic family. I am a christian with some beliefs but wanting to become more religious especially when i have children but not necessarily Catholic religious. I hope i am not causing any offence with my terminology.
Mil refused to accept our relationship and pulled a number of stunts to try and cancel the wedding. It was a long and tiresome process. In the end we got married 5 years ago and i spent 3 years trying to fit in. Anyway we have a LO now and this has helped relationship with Mil.
This is where it gets complicated.
Dh’s brother is marrying an atheist. Mil meets her for the first time and says “If you are happy and my son is happy then i am happy”. She then happily talks wedding clothes and venues. Not minding if it not a church wedding but saying her preference would be to have a church wedding. Mil doesnt realise o heard this as i overheard on the baby monitor!!
When we got married we had to have a second wedding in a church, three days after our real wedding so mil would be happy!!
Anyway i am livid. I told dh how i felt n he said i am holding grudges and i should be glad his brother is not experiencing the problems we endured just to keep the peace. But he did say he too felt a pang of hurt but his overall opinion is that he is happy for his brother. I am too but i feel sadness for myself.
I feel any progress i made with MIL has become undone. I just wish i didn't care but this is a new level of rejection by mil.
Mil has recently lost her mother so dh is saying this has softened her.
Anyway AIBU to feel hurt or am i in fact jealous? I dont think i am jealous as it is a horrible trait.