Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breastfeeding in swimming pool

(202 Posts)
Kiwigramz Thu 16-Jan-20 03:35:20

I am all for mums breastfeeding if they wish. However recently there has been discussion about being allowed to breastfeed in pools.

I think this is completely wrong. Why on earth would anyone want to do this? The baby is likely to regurgitate and I for one don’t want to take in water that has been sicked in.

Surely baby should be fed just before going into the pool. Also we never had this exposure years ago. Breastfeeding should be something personal between mother and baby, a special private time to bond.

AIBU or out of touch with the times?

Maggiemaybe Thu 16-Jan-20 09:55:00

Saying that, I wouldn’t be in there with a baby, but that’s a different matter. I don’t even go in public pools myself these days, and can’t believe I took my eldest to baby swimming in all that muck when she was about 6 weeks old!

SueDonim Thu 16-Jan-20 09:58:59

I don’t think it’s something I’d want to do but given what else is in the water, I don’t suppose there’s any harm. The mum may leak breast milk into the pool anyway, if she’s lucky enough to have a plentiful supply.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 10:07:48

I thought you shouldn't swim just after a meal?

jaylucy Thu 16-Jan-20 10:12:40

I have to wonder why would you want to ?
Some women have the knack of breast feeding sitting down or standing up - I always needed to be somewhere with something to rest my supporting elbow on, especially at the beginning.
I can remember when I was at a relatives house, sitting in the corner of a room, on my own, my son was covered with a shawl and the aunt still asked if I wouldn't rather do it in one of the bedrooms!
Someone commented that you might as well breastfeed in a toilet - wasn't that long ago when , if you were out of your house, that a public toilet was the only place to go and in fact in our local Debenhams, the "Mother's room" was in the ladies toilet, on a plastic chair, behind a grotty curtain and you were expected to change nappies on the floor!

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 10:16:01

jaylucy I remember those days too and am glad that breast feeding in public is the norm now and that shops etc provide decent facilities for nappy changing.

However, in the swimming pool? It just sounds like virtue signalling.

DoraMarr Thu 16-Jan-20 10:22:57

Is this likely to affect you, Kwizigram? If not I think there are many other things you need to be concerned about.

notanan2 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:34:31

Who cares? A lactating woman will be leaking in the pool if shs delays a feed. Bottle fed babies can sick in the pool too. I dont do lengths in the baby pool so what business of mine is it?

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:17:39

Exactly, Notanan, I would never have dreamed of taking a young baby to a public pool - but I defend the right of others to do what they like!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 16-Jan-20 11:28:29

Why on earth would you do it, its just women who want to make a statement and its ridiculous. The noise, the splashing and its not exactly a clean environment for baby. I am afraid its all about mum and I can if I want.

vampirequeen Thu 16-Jan-20 11:38:29

I don't have a problem with mothers feeding their babies but I have my doubts about the health aspects for the baby.

Madgran77 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:38:33

I am all for breastfeeding and have no patience with all the fuss about breastfeeding in public ...why on earth shouldn't a baby be ded when they need to be, what's the problem. However I do find it strange that anyone would want to/consider breastfeeding whilst in a swimming pool ...what's in the water (starting with chlorine) would put me off but also the splashing noise and everything else!! Why on earth not get out and sit at the side ?

Madgran77 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:39:49

..fed ...not ded!!

notanan2 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:41:06

Why on earth would you do it
Maybe because you often have to pay for babyswim classes per term and dont get a refund if you spend the wholr class in the change room rather than have a quick mini feed there and then so the baby gets through the class without getting frantic with mum spirthing everywhere???

Or maybe its the unpleasant conclusion you jumped to??

notanan2 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:42:18

Why on earth not get out and sit at the side ?
Theres no less noise or chlorine on them there??

Farmor15 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:43:56

My daughter started bringing baby to pool and “baby swim” classes at about 2 months old. I went with her a few times and she would see that baby wasn’t hungry before going in the water and afterwards could feed her in changing cubicle or in cafe nearby. Can’t see why you’d need to feed in actual pool.

notanan2 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:44:26

They get chlorine in their mouth when theyre swimming! People saying they shouldnt be fed there because there might be some chlorine on / around mum are seriously reaching.

notanan2 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:45:58

Guess what Farmor, your daughter does whats right for her baby, but babies are not all the same. Some have bigger spread out feeds. Some have smaller more frequent feeds. Some feed for comfort when they are in a new environment....

Bibbity Thu 16-Jan-20 12:05:42

People piss in a pool. So if you don’t want to digest others fluids you shouldn’t got swimming.

Also that’s what chlorine is for.

My boobs leak a lot. Even 6 months on. So if I’m going in a pool so is my breast milk. Enjoy.

No it’s not easier to leave. That involves getting out. Potentially with other children. Who won’t want to leave. Getting freezing. Then trying to feed and then getting back in.

I would love for my baby to have one decent feed every few hours. She much prefers to have loads and loads of little snacks. At 6 months old she’s not grasped the unreasonableness of this.

Baggs Thu 16-Jan-20 12:06:23

Well said, notanan and maggiemaybe. I was going to mention the thing about possibly having an older child in the (baby) pool and just being there with the wee one, keeping watch, as you do.

The OP does not really give a clear picture of the circumstances. There are circumstances where breastfeeding a baby at (or beside) a swimming pool would be the most natural thing in the world for a mother to do. I said at, not in.

Baggs Thu 16-Jan-20 12:07:10

Bibbity too ?

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 12:21:22

When I've taken DC or DGC to a pool the rules are usually one adult to one small child or baby Maggiemaybe formsadetynreasons.

A mother may not be keeping a keen eye on a non-swimming toddler or other small child if she was breastfeeding the baby.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 12:21:55

Oh goodness.

for safety reasons

Bibbity Thu 16-Jan-20 12:23:08

Our pool has a family swimming time. It allows for a smaller ratio of adult and children.

Most BF mothers are great at feeding and keeping other children alive. What with having to do it multiple times a day ?

Calendargirl Thu 16-Jan-20 12:27:28

I keep seeing references to a ‘baby’ pool. We don’t have one where I live, it’s just one pool.

Chestnut Thu 16-Jan-20 12:28:40

As I said........
NO EATING OR DRINKING IN THE POOL AREA

A simple rule that everyone should adhere to and that includes mums.