Gransnet forums

AIBU

Breastfeeding in swimming pool

(201 Posts)
Kiwigramz Thu 16-Jan-20 03:35:20

I am all for mums breastfeeding if they wish. However recently there has been discussion about being allowed to breastfeed in pools.

I think this is completely wrong. Why on earth would anyone want to do this? The baby is likely to regurgitate and I for one don’t want to take in water that has been sicked in.

Surely baby should be fed just before going into the pool. Also we never had this exposure years ago. Breastfeeding should be something personal between mother and baby, a special private time to bond.

AIBU or out of touch with the times?

Baggs Thu 16-Jan-20 05:31:07

It wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't have done it with my first child because she was a champion up-chucker, and by the time you've got to offspring nos.2&3 you're much happier feet up, baby well wedged in with cushions, in a comfy chair and nodding off while baby sucks.

I kind of get why some women are fairly demonstrative about their breastfeeding. There are some very silly ideas about where it should or shouldn't be "allowed", especially when you consider the amount of unnecessary cleavage and bosom that is apparently acceptable in everyday life.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Jan-20 05:52:30

Nonsense why on earth would you do that just because you can Surely babies should be fed in a calm atmosphere how would the little thing concentrate on what it was doing if it’s watching kids jumping and screaming and splashing and maybe getting splashed in the face itself
Absolute nonsense
Why would you want to stand up in water to feed your baby
I couldn’t care less where women feed they babies but a swimming pool is no more appropriate than a toilet

Pantglas2 Thu 16-Jan-20 06:05:48

It doesn’t sound very comfortable or hygienic does it? Your boobs would have chlorine on them for a start .....! And the whole bodily fluids thing in the pool......that’s a no from me!

Calendargirl Thu 16-Jan-20 06:47:19

Would not want it no. Our aquacise class is for 16 years and older so that would exclude babies. And many swimming sessions are lane swimming, don’t see how that would fit in with breast feeding,
Another daft idea.

LullyDully Thu 16-Jan-20 07:14:56

Never thought of this idea. I did it on a few public lavs in my time.

ladymuck Thu 16-Jan-20 07:20:44

Humans are animals. Animals suckle their young. Personally, I find it distasteful to do so in public, but so many women are 'making a statement'. The novelty will wear off if we ignore it.
However, doing so in a swimming pool is surely not a wise thing to do, for the baby's sake.
I doubt these women are concerned about the baby's welfare though, they just want to draw attention to themselves.

annsixty Thu 16-Jan-20 07:22:40

I have no problems with breastfeeding in public when necessary but I like discretion, a shawl etc.
This would not be possible in a swimming pool.

GagaJo Thu 16-Jan-20 07:39:08

I don't care when or where women breastfeed. If the baby is hungry, feed it.

People pee in pools. You might not see them doing it, but they do.

We need to support other women. Not pull them down.

Yehbutnobut Thu 16-Jan-20 07:39:46

Not in the actual swimming pool itself surely? Yes, if there are seat or loungers around the edge.

Oopsminty Thu 16-Jan-20 07:49:52

People pee in pools.

Exactly. And they cough up phlegm and spit it out. I know this because I ended up with a lump on my arm once.

The water in a pool is not something I'd like to drink

A boob, coated with pool water is not something I'd like my baby to suckle on

Maybe I'm just fussy

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jan-20 07:58:08

People pee in pools

You're right, they do. And sometimes even poo in it yes, I've actually seen it happen. So why would I want to allow my baby to suckle on a breast that's covered in chlorine, urine, faeces, skin cells and possibly snot as well? Sometimes, what seems like a good idea, really isn't.

timetogo2016 Thu 16-Jan-20 08:21:24

Well put LadyMuck.
Couldn`t have put it better myself.

sodapop Thu 16-Jan-20 08:34:53

I have no problem with public breast feeding and can't see how it could possibly be distasteful
To feed whilst actually in the pool seems unhygienic and unnecessary.

TwiceAsNice Thu 16-Jan-20 08:41:38

I breast fed my children in lots of different places but made sure the area was clean and comfortable. I’m not sure a pool comes under this heading. Surely you shouldn’t do it for safety/hygiene reasons. I think women should feed anywhere they like but use some common sense

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 08:52:06

Kiwigramz, you are way out of touch!

I remember it being discussed at least a decade ago so it's nothing new. The conclusion was that banning it was sex discrimination.

Your comment really made me laugh;

'I for one don’t want to take in water that has been sicked in.'

Aren't you aware of all the other, far worse, bodily fluids etc. in public pools? I wouldn't use one - I'll keep to my own pool.

For anyone who wants to resurrect and carry on discussing, maybe update themselves with the 2010 Equality Act:

www.laleche.org.uk/breastfeeding-at-a-swimming-pool/

grannypiper Thu 16-Jan-20 08:54:15

Some women are just attention seekers, no doubt waiting for someone to ask them to refrain from feeding their baby in the pool so she could take to SM and be outraged

GagaJo Thu 16-Jan-20 09:10:23

Her baby. Her choice.

Attention seeking for breastfeeding? A bit like rape apologists are part of rape acceptance, comments like that are allowing OTHERS to dictate to mums where and when they should feed.

I reiterate, her baby, her choice. Look away if you don't like it.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 09:27:06

Why are women the worst sex discriminators? They shamelessly criticise and put down other women - far more than men. It's just pathetic!

Daisymae Thu 16-Jan-20 09:27:14

Why would anyone want to do that? I don't think that it's acceptable in a public pool.

Chestnut Thu 16-Jan-20 09:33:07

I think it's the worst place possible to feed a baby for all the reasons already mentioned. Sitting on the side is bad enough but I can't believe any woman would be stupid enough to feed baby in the water. Why would they even want to, they can find a chair somewhere surely?
Isn't there a blanket ban in pools anyway?
NO EATING OR DRINKING IN THE POOL AREA
That should cover it.

annsixty Thu 16-Jan-20 09:36:40

Chestnut ?

Sussexborn Thu 16-Jan-20 09:46:30

I agree with Chewbacca on this. Why would you subject a baby to all this just to prove that you have the right to do it!

The mother of my middle brothers baby was a total exhibitionist and would catch a bus (not her usual mode of transport) pull off her top and breastfeed her daughter with both breasts on display to the world!

endlessstrife Thu 16-Jan-20 09:48:23

Why would you even want to? What’s the point? Surely there’s the before and after swimming, to feed your baby. I remember when I did my lifeguard training, learning that the top 6 inches or so of water is just a cocktail of muck, sterilised muck, but muck all the same! Swimming pools are not as clean as we would think, fine for kids over about 6 months. On the one hand, new mums are overwhelmed by all the stuff you have to do to protect their babies, and then the next thing, it’s perfectly fine for them to be in that sesspit we call the pool! Mad!

Maggiemaybe Thu 16-Jan-20 09:52:28

I dare say if you’re in the pool with a couple of small children and the little one needs a quick feed, it’s a lot easier just to give it there and then rather than all having to get out and shiver at poolside.

I don’t see the problem. It’ll probably only take a few minutes, the baby will take in less water while feeding than when “swimming”, and nothing’s going to be on display that isn’t already.