Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Lady Garden

(203 Posts)
Buffybee Sat 25-Jan-20 09:07:48

Apparently, The Body Shop are sponsoring a display this year at the Chelsea Flower Show, as a feminist space, with plants and sculptures echoing the 'curves of the female form'.
What they have come up with, is a large sculpture of 'women's bits' with a few plants in front.
Call me old fashioned!
But I think this sort of thing is offensive and pathetic and am surprised that the RHS is 'enthusiastic and supportive' about it.

Stella14 Sun 26-Jan-20 13:17:13

I like the idea. The female form ( all aspects) have never been celebrated enough. I can’t imagine why anyone would find it offensive!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 26-Jan-20 13:35:57

?? Stella14

Mollygo Sun 26-Jan-20 13:47:50

Fennel that’s so funny! The sculpture reminds me of Princess Beatrice’s wedding hat.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jan-20 13:52:10

grin

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 14:02:33

grin frankie74

Phloembundle Sun 26-Jan-20 14:08:27

I find both male and female bits revolting and think they should be kept private. I don't look at mine so I certainly don't want to see anyone else.

nanamac77 Sun 26-Jan-20 14:24:53

I suspect that the majority wouldn't even know what it was meant to depict if there hadn't been all this slavish publicity. What a bore.

Phloembundle Sun 26-Jan-20 14:28:41

Mine is my "widge".

Nanny41 Sun 26-Jan-20 14:33:19

Buffybee,thank you for the photo I didnt know what everyone was talking about.I think it is a publicity thing and not tasteful at all.Why would visitors want to see the female anatomy,in a lovely flower show and Chelsea at that!

hollysteers Sun 26-Jan-20 14:35:37

As a sculpture, it’s rather stark and barren, but if it actually had plants growing out of it, like pubic hair, could be effective. Why not just a cave then?
I agree with everyone who says there should be a male equivalent, I’m fed up being patronised by feminazis.

icanhandthemback Sun 26-Jan-20 14:39:08

It seems a lot of fuss about nothing to me. I think we should take the time to label the clitoris and educate the menfolk ?

Silverlady333 Sun 26-Jan-20 15:11:02

Fennel that made me laugh!
Ladies I used to be a nurse in Gynaecology and Colposcopy OPD. I have seen more ladies vagina's inside and out than I care to mention.
Let me just tell you vulva's are like noses, we all have one and they are all slightly different! For those with a bushy bush sadly it will probably not remain that way forever. The vaginal hairs turn grey much as the hair on our heads and sort of become thicker (a bit like catgut) but more sparse. We should all be familiar with our vagina's (with the use of a mirror). How will you ever know if there are any outward changes that we should be aware of?
I doubt many men will even know what they are looking at on that display at the RHS lol. Perhaps this will educate them!
Someone mentioned FGM which is absolutely dreadful and every woman should be aware of it in order to educate our sisters who think it should be done.
There is nothing wrong with the female genital anatomy, to some it is a mystery because it is all tucked away and out of sight but it shouldn't be!

TwiceAsNice Sun 26-Jan-20 15:25:23

I’m not shocked at all but think it’s really ridiculous and pathetic and would not encourage me to go and look at any of the displays

Greeneyedgirl Sun 26-Jan-20 15:45:56

I would like to second what Silverlady has said. As with any other part of the body it is good to familiarise yourself with what is normal for you so that you can spot changes easily.
It is the culture we have grown up in that makes us so coy about our bodies.

juneo Sun 26-Jan-20 15:54:46

Ha ha! I don't really like the sculpture,but I have enjoyed reading all these comments!! ?

M0nica Sun 26-Jan-20 15:59:01

notthatoldyet The vagina is not dirty or offensive and plants are beautiful. If it means conversations about smear tests and female genital mutilation are not considered offensive i am all for it

I cannot see any connection between what you say and the design of this garden. The people coming to the show and seeing it are unlikely to be woke enough to draw the wide connections you see.

The whole concept is hackneyed and unimaginative.

Riverwalk Sun 26-Jan-20 16:12:02

..... but internally,the female bits look repulsive.... ?, can smell repulsive, breeding ground for germs, way too much surplus material, not a single redeeming feature in fact

Oh, dear!

I'm really surprised, and saddened, at the negativity towards the female form by many posters.

I've no idea if the Lady Garden has any artistic/horticultural merit - suppose I'll have to go and find out!

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 16:22:25

It could be worse I suppose...

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 16:24:22

Or is that better? confused A whole garden celebrating the wonders of the labia, vagina and clitoris in plant and carved form grin

grannydarkhair Sun 26-Jan-20 16:54:45

I'm with Greeneyedgirl, Silverlady333 and others. I trained as a nurse, then worked in social care for 27+ years, have seen many a "lady garden". I really can't believe how many of you are disgusted, etc. by the design of this garden. How can anyone be ashamed of any part of the human body? The latest reports show that the cervical screening rates are at their lowest for over 20 years. Surely if something like this garden or the video reminds or encourages even one woman to go for a smear test, then it's worth it.

NanTheWiser Sun 26-Jan-20 17:13:25

Maybe next year they could do a complement garden based on male genitalia, and plant it out with penis cacti - Trichocereus bridgesii fma. monstrosa

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 17:22:31

Lordy! shock

The gardening world is all about fertility, sex and reproduction - a few bits of genitalia shaped things is nothing new.

gillyjp Sun 26-Jan-20 17:37:23

Not disgusted just bored. Just told my DH about it - his response: 'wasn't intending going this year anyway'. Pretty sure we know where the queues will be at said CFS! Tiresome stuff - can't they think of anything else to draw the crowds? Best thing would be, as someone earlier on in this thread remarked, to have a giggle like Charles & Camilla would no doubt do.

M0nica Sun 26-Jan-20 18:09:00

No negativity to the female form, just cannot see the point of this garden.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jan-20 18:17:34

I has achieved its mission; to open up dialogue.