Gransnet forums

AIBU

Happy National Puzzle Day!

(36 Posts)
Cambia Wed 29-Jan-20 07:17:39

This has to be my favourite day. I know there is a day for everything nowadays but I like this one!

My favourite time is to sit down with a cup of tea (or glass of wine), switch the radio on and do my jigsaw. This always gets pushed back to the end of the day as a treat but today I have the excuse to start early,

Anyone else out there addicted to jigsaws?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:37:43

Fannycornforth just looked at the jigsaw, lucky Dad! It looks amazing, I think though that I’ll have to start selling some of mine to make room.

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Dec-20 08:53:15

I think that I'm going to get my dad the Cloudberries Celestial Map jigsaw.
He is a newcomer to jigsaws (lock down).
If I order it today (Amazon) he will get it tomorrow. He'll also be the recipient of a heated throw - so many GN recommendations!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 22-Dec-20 08:35:14

I’ve just completed the last 1000 piece jigsaw from a box of 4 Christmas puzzles.

Very nice.

Now, shall I redo another one from my pile of puzzles in the spare room or leave it until next week?

Susan56 Tue 22-Dec-20 07:55:42

We have been doing a complicated Christmas jigsaw for the last week.We were convinced a piece was missing even though it is a brand new jigsaw.Over the last few days we have spent ages trying to fit the missing piece.This morning while waiting for the kettle to boil I decided to have another go and found the ‘missing’ piece straightaway!I am sure fellow jigsaw addicts can understand my joy!

Greyduster Tue 22-Dec-20 06:51:07

DH’s jigsaw board is always out, but they don’t interest me much (though I will look over his shoulder and pop a piece in when I’m passing by! Much to his annoyance!). I like general knowledge crosswords (no good at cryptic), Codeword, and a few other internet word games.

CanadianGran Tue 22-Dec-20 06:41:47

We enjoy them, but usually 500 pc is the max. I did buy one for Christmas, so we can work on it together. We tend to pick away at it while having a beer/cider after i am home from work, but of course we will have a bit of extra time over the holidays this year since we are not entertaining.

They are relaxing and satisfying.

EmilyM Tue 22-Dec-20 00:13:03

I really love puzzles, great brain training.

Cambia Wed 05-Feb-20 11:24:27

@Spottybook
Have seen Cloudberries but they look really hard! My online jigsaw supplier has them, so will have another look. Might be a good challenge. Thank you.

Cambia Wed 05-Feb-20 11:17:24

Spottybook I have seen the Cloudberries but they do look hard! My online jigsaw supplier does them, so I shall have another look! Thank you.

LullyDully Fri 31-Jan-20 08:28:38

I looked at the Cloudberry puzzles. They look like a real challenge, all that merging colour. Not sure Mr LD would cope with that.

agnurse Wed 29-Jan-20 20:09:28

We don't have any jigsaw puzzles right now but growing up, we had a whole drawer full of children's jigsaw puzzles. My favourite was a Muppet Babies puzzle that had them at a playground.

grannypiper Wed 29-Jan-20 19:11:48

Oh i didnt know about national puzzel day. I was just thinking yesterday that i must make a start on the jigsaw i was given for Christmas.

Washerwoman Wed 29-Jan-20 18:59:57

I started doing jigsaws in the winter several years ago and now I'm hooked.Some days are just too busy get stuck in but when I do I can get absorbed for several hours.And now I've sorted out the lighting will do one in the evenings if nothing on TV interests me.Only problem is half the dining table taken over for weeks but I have it on a mat that we can move if we are entertaining.They are stress busting and replace the hours I spend gardening in the summer as way of thinking if nothing but the task in hand.The Cloudberrries sound interesting. Will take a look.

lemongrove Wed 29-Jan-20 17:01:56

I enjoy all kinds of puzzles, and do jigsaws regularly by app on ipad, much better than on the table IMHO.
Very addictive they are too.
Fave puzzle game is Monument Valley, have completed both games 1 and 2 now and several add ons.Waiting patiently for MV 3 now.

Pantglas2 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:25:54

Thank you lullydully. I do enjoy pitting my wits (and coming off worse, mostly) on those Daily Mail puzzles to keep the grey matter in reasonable fettle!

spottybook Wed 29-Jan-20 14:33:22

Cambia

At the risk of sounding like an advert I have just discovered Cloudberries (cloudberries.co.uk, sorry tried cutting and pasting the link but it didn't work). They have really unusual puzzles, quite expensive as puzzles go but the designs are really colourful and they are good quality. I am off on holiday soon to the Far East and trying to get one finished before I go. Not sure if I will manage it though.

LullyDully Wed 29-Jan-20 14:03:36

pantglas do try the Pitcherwits. It takes a bit of thought but makes sense when you understand the ' culture's of it. If you get stuck Danword can always help out to jog your brain.

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Jan-20 12:41:19

Perhaps there's a jigsaw festival near you, Callistemon that would take your DH's jigsaw and spare him the pain of breaking it up? They seem to be really popular now no idea why.

dragonfly46 Wed 29-Jan-20 12:30:32

I love any sort of puzzle particularly logic ones. I also like word games and playing against other people.

Cambia Wed 29-Jan-20 12:27:15

Callistemon you are right! Posted under AIBU by mistake!

Callistemon Wed 29-Jan-20 10:23:30

I wondered why this is under AIBU?
I can understand if a poster has an OH who will spend all day 'puzzling' and ignoring other tasks grin

DH just completed a very difficult one with help from me and doesn't want to break it up but I want some room to sew!

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jan-20 09:49:58

My stepfather adores doing jigsaws. He doesn’t like television so, like the OP, puts the radio on and loses himself doing one for an hour or so mid morning and often in the evening too. He has one of those huge Velcro boards that folds the jigsaw up snugly between sessions. I bought a similar board a couple of years ago I just haven’t got around to borrowing one of his jigsaws yet!

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Jan-20 09:40:45

I love a jigsaw, but used to hate breaking them up again afterwards.

Then I went to my first jigsaw festival last year, to see what the attraction was to looking at jigsaws assembled by others, then having one broken up so you can buy it.

I still don’t get it, to be honest, but it was full of puzzle enthusiasts, some of whom were back for a second or third time that week, and it raises thousands each year for local charities.

Since then I’ve been assembling 1000 piece jigsaws for the festival, and currently have on our spare bed half a dozen or so on cardboard sheets, carefully wrapped in cling film and waiting to be delivered.

ninathenana Wed 29-Jan-20 09:35:59

I must have 20-30 jigsaw puzzles, some of which I've done twice. Time for another charity shop donation I think. Though I will undoubtedly come home with replacements.
I don't leave one out and do a bit in passing I have no room for that. I sit and work on it for 2-3 hrs at a time, mostly on a weekend.
I also love a crossword or a word search.

sodapop Wed 29-Jan-20 08:51:10

Another puzzle fan here, not jigsaw as I am too impatient but I love word games/puzzles.
I usually have a few games going on line at any one time.