Gransnet forums

AIBU

..to find the behaviour of Brexit MEPs rude and embarassing

(76 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 29-Jan-20 19:44:27

After watching the behaviour of the Brexit party MEPs today I feel embarrassed to be British - childish, appallingly rude and immature, I just hope the EU doesn't think they represent the British people.

trisher Fri 31-Jan-20 12:52:29

With Farage &co yes. Remember the links this party has and stop pretending they are just a bunch of innocent flag wavers. They and Boris have the support of the far right and then consider what the message was www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/tommy-robinson-endorses-boris-johnson-1-6378266

GrannyGravy13 Fri 31-Jan-20 12:17:22

I feel as if I have fallen down the rabbit hole "a la Alice in Wonderland" .

Flag waving is akin to a Nazi Salute.......really?????

Callistemon Fri 31-Jan-20 12:10:51

It's such a long time since I've waved a flag.

This is reminding me of Basil Fawlty

trisher Fri 31-Jan-20 11:02:45

I'm sorry but when I wave a flag my arm is usually bent at the elbow and waved in front of me, or my whole arm moves rapidly from side to side. I seldom raise one arm at an angle and wave from the wrist.

merlotgran Fri 31-Jan-20 08:51:01

Itallics don't seem to be working today.

merlotgran Fri 31-Jan-20 08:50:29

^so many give the Nazi salute at Last Night Of The
proms trisher^

Really??

I'm always glued to the Last Night and I didn't spot anything like that.

Anniebach Fri 31-Jan-20 08:36:27

so many give the Nazi salute at Last Night Of The
proms trisher

Iam64 Fri 31-Jan-20 08:21:01

I heard Beethoven's 9th at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester's Halle last night. What a glorious and moving way to say farewell to Europe. Many tears in the hall, which was packed.

I'm sad we're leaving but even more sad that threads like this feel like a grumpy Groundhog Day. I'm convinced that as a country we made a huge mistake in voting leave. It's time to move on, to accept our different points of view and frankly to stop hurling insults.

janipat Fri 31-Jan-20 01:12:50

Oh come on trisher right hand dominance is a universally accepted fact. Using the right hand to write, wave or use an implement ( scissors, knives, crochet hooks etc ) is just "normal" to the vast majority of people. You really do clutch at straws, met any protestors who would starve or dehydrate if they couldn't partake of McDonald's offerings recently? I'm a remainer so no bias here, and I wouldn't spit on Farage if he was on fire.

Dollymac Thu 30-Jan-20 23:30:32

Look, I am quite open that I voted remain
The leave campaign was somewhat 'lacking in clarity ' and I'm trying to be kind here...
Farage, Widdecombe et al were lacking in grace and manners
Enjoy your Brexit, but we don't know what the actual deal is yet, do we?
Let's wait and see

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 23:25:31

I don't suppose that many right handed people waving a flag or waving for a bus or taxi realise that they look as if they're giving a Nazi salute

Must remember to use my left arm or stick out a foot.

Opal Thu 30-Jan-20 23:01:59

Oh please trisher, by all means disagree with what they did, but likening flying the British flag to a Nazi salute? That's just farcical, get a grip.

Eloethan Thu 30-Jan-20 23:00:32

Well, if it all does "fall to bits" as you hope quizqueen, there will be repercussions for everyone when the super powers hold all the cards and there is no united European presence to maintain standards of health and safety and employment rights.

I think their behaviour was childish and embarrassing - and they had no right to use the British flag to put on such a ridiculous display of bad manners.

SusieFlo Thu 30-Jan-20 22:56:51

Disgraceful behaviour.

MawB Thu 30-Jan-20 22:48:31

I’ll leave a candle burning, as I am very sorry things have come to this. I will not however waste my energy or my breath bemoaning the dire straits we may find ourselves in.
We should be better than that.

kelleensc Thu 30-Jan-20 21:30:16

I am from the US and I feel embarassed EVERY DAY by Trump (and I'm a member of the same party he says he represents). I've often wondered if the rest of the world sees us all as a laughing stock. Honestly, I do not pay much attention to Brexit because of our own three-ring-circus.

Trump is such a bully, narcissist, rude, disrespectful, selfish, hypocrital, uncivil, etc. My favorite adjective is "idiot". I could go on.

I have to admit, I'm with the Democrats on the impeachment, and I hope they are able to call witnesses. It turns my stomach that this is called a "trial" when members of the supposed impartial "jury" have already said they've made their minds up. UGH

I guess this behavior is everywhere in one form or the other.

trisher Thu 30-Jan-20 21:04:50

I don't suppose many of them realised that raising their right arm to wave their flag had elements of the Nazi salute. Pathetic.

mcem Thu 30-Jan-20 19:56:23

Some dignity was restored by the dignified exit of green/snp MEPs.
Auld Lang Syne was moving as was the piper playing Flower of Scotland.
There's a growing movement - Leave a light on. I'll join them in expressing regret at leaving EU by placing a candle in the window tomorrow evening.

Nezumi65 Thu 30-Jan-20 18:17:14

Get ready for rocketing food poisoning rates www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-chlorinated-chicken-us-trade-deal-boris-johnson-pompeo-trump-a9310081.html

At least something will be going up I guess wink

POGS Thu 30-Jan-20 17:29:00

I feel the same about the behaviour in the EU Parliament by some of our MEP's yesterday as I did about the MEP's who wore Bollocks to Brexit T. Shirts ,both were childish, crass and did the UK no favours.

Very embarrassing.

I also have found it embarrassing to hear and read the equally crass, childish, ignorant name calling that has been regularly used by some to attack those who voted in opposition to themselves after the EU Referendum.

The level of spite and anger for the past 4 years has exceeded normal behaviour and I worry the rot that has set in is now become so normal we no longer challenge the behaviour.

Nezumi65 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:05:49

It always makes me think of this youtu.be/PSG6C29Q-qc

May have to play it on repeat tomorrow.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:57:59

little Englander mentality

I'm sure Nathan Gill et al from Wales were there joining in
sad

Nezumi65 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:54:53

not embarrassed at all proud that they waved OUR union jack flag, proud to be British, Bye Bye EU

This little Englander mentality (let’s face it Brexit is an English obsesssion) makes me embarrassed to be British.

At least my offspring can all get Irish passports (I can’t, but can’t leave the UK anyway unfortunately).

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:42:16

No jane1956 there was nothing to be proud of in that display. The Union flag belongs to all of us, not just Brexiteers.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jan-20 16:39:22

DH and I voted differently but he, too, thought it was an immature and ill-mannered display after the kind words from the rest of the members there and said that at least they turned his mike off before he embarrassed himself more.

However jubilant they felt, they could have waited until they got to the pub and Nigel had his customary pint in his fist.