Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not be holding an Exit Party .

(88 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 30-Jan-20 22:38:49

I will not be celebrating leaving the EU.
Are any of you going to Party the night away ?

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:52:48

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JenniferEccles Fri 31-Jan-20 23:43:18

Hurray!! We are free!!

I had my doubts at times that it would never happen but here we are out at last!!

Bellanonna Fri 31-Jan-20 23:08:44

I can hear fireworks too. Kind of expected it. Luckily it’s raining so shouldn’t last too long.

annsixty Fri 31-Jan-20 23:05:20

Huge firework display going on somewhere very close.
Someone is very happy locally.
It is as loud as New Years Eve.

52bright Fri 31-Jan-20 23:01:00

No celebrations here. Just resignation and hoping we don't have cause to really regret what we are doing.

Smileless2012 Fri 31-Jan-20 22:56:13

Thanks Opal I'm still awake and determined to see the new era insmile

Opal Fri 31-Jan-20 22:16:56

Cheers to you too Smileless, and all of us who are celebrating smile

Smileless2012 Fri 31-Jan-20 22:13:24

Too knackered from our 29 hour journey from DS's house in Aus. to our own on Tuesday for a party, but quietly celebrating my relief that at long last the referendum result has been honoured and implemented, and we are leaving the EU.

For all of you partying, enjoywinecheers!

mcem Fri 31-Jan-20 22:07:11

To paraphrase cunco's earlier post, I object to the stereotype that all of us who are 60+ are gullible Leave voters!
In the same vein it's not true that all Leavers are gullible and ill-educated (but anyone gullible and ill-educated probably voted Leave!)
And while I 'm having a mini rant I 'll add that I 'm fed up of patronising posts pointing out that "we aren't leaving Europe but are leaving EU."
We don't need a lesson in geography and are generally able to deal with the 'shorthand' expression.

Evie64 Fri 31-Jan-20 21:05:26

Jennifer Eccles, excellent, go for it! grin

dinks13 Fri 31-Jan-20 16:43:59

Definitely having a party here!!!!

DillytheGardener Fri 31-Jan-20 16:40:24

I anticipated an argument with Mr D, so I’ve gone to meet a friend in London to avoid the topic entirely.

Cunco Fri 31-Jan-20 16:32:39

Ellianne Absolutely right. I only mentioned university degrees to counter, using conventional standards, the stereotype that Leavers are stupid. I think the persistent use of such stereotypes accounts for much of the anger felt by many Leavers - and perhaps for a degree of 'triumphalism'. Personally, I think it better if we avoid both.

annsixty Fri 31-Jan-20 16:22:36

I have only read the last page here but how sorry I feel for all us uneducated bods with no degrees.
It is a really good job we have lots of intelligentsia to make our minds up for us and to tell us just where we are wrong.
I feel sorry for the carpenter, the marine and the lifelong housewife.

annodomini Fri 31-Jan-20 15:44:57

No celebration here. I'm a fan of The Last Leg (Channel 4), which is having an extended show tonight. A good (if wry) laugh is what I'll be needing.

GrandmaMoira Fri 31-Jan-20 15:31:23

A Brexit party would be a wake.

janeainsworth Fri 31-Jan-20 15:25:06

Yes we do vegan, thank you.
But although we reached the point of no return when Boris Johnson won his majority last December, today is the day we formally leave the EU and it is the day which will be commemorated as such in the future.
That’s why it feels significant for Remainers and Leavers alike. sad

Barmeyoldbat Fri 31-Jan-20 15:12:53

I will be joining a vigil in Cardiff to mourn the leaving, so no celebrations here.

vegansrock Fri 31-Jan-20 14:49:11

People do know that nothing will change until next year - and we don't even know what that change will be yet?

vegansrock Fri 31-Jan-20 14:47:00

You can always join Nigel Farage and his no music, no fireworks, no alcohol, no bongs party with speeches from the great man and Julia Hartley Brewer. They know how to party. Free brexit flags and pitchforks for all.

merlotgran Fri 31-Jan-20 14:24:24

A rather opiniated acquaintance posted on facebook that tonight they're having a Brexit dinner with friends. The menu will be:

Chicken and Leek soup
Steak and Kidney Pie
Apple Crumble.

I was rather tempted to reply that the reason I voted to stay in the Common Market in 1975 was because I was sick to death of that boring menu and wanted to see some French cheeses in the supermarkets (amongst other things)

Common sense prevailed however. WW3 would put Brexit in the shade! grin

Urmstongran Fri 31-Jan-20 14:09:01

Agreed Ellieanne but some posters do bang on about the intelligence (or lack of it) in those who voted Leave. I daresay Cunco was just trying to illustrate a point!

Ellianne Fri 31-Jan-20 14:01:46

Well said Cunco. But I don't think one needs a university degree to prove oneself capable of making up one's mind like you say. My gathering tonight will have a carpenter, an ex marine, a lifelong housewife, all of whom are as perceptive and decisive as I am with my BSc. You can't measure everyone on academic achievement alone.

tickingbird Fri 31-Jan-20 13:52:42

TBF I have far more important things happening in my personal life. If I remember I’ll watch the tv at 11pm. Only time will tell if we’ve done the right thing.

JenniferEccles Fri 31-Jan-20 13:45:56

I have seen a few comments on different threads from people who say they are sorry to be leaving Europe.

We are not, we are just leaving the EU.

Despite the opening credits on HIGNFY our country won’t be drifting off westwards ? !!