Gransnet forums

AIBU

Guilt over my Mum

(59 Posts)
Septimia Fri 07-Feb-20 11:05:36

I had my parents next door and then in another part of the same house.

I was fortunate that we all got on well most of the time.

But there were times, especially after my dad died and my mum was on her own, when I could have screamed.

Girls are often too much like their mums, I think, and so they tend to clash. Nothing to feel guilty about. I hope a bit of space will help you both.

Acer Fri 07-Feb-20 10:49:58

You know in my experience mums tend to bring their offspring up in a way they would be expected to be treated. What was your Mother’s relationship with her parents like ?

Greymar Fri 07-Feb-20 10:27:09

We have kids having kids and now we have olds having older. It's very difficult.

Nansnet Fri 07-Feb-20 10:23:40

dortie145, you have no need to feel guilty. You are, in fact, very lucky to have an elderly parent who is still well enough to take care of herself. There may come a time when she does need more help, and that will be the time to do whatever you're able to do for her.

I've spent several months at a time staying in my parent's home, when my mother was ill, before she passed away. And then again with my father due to illness/operations/recovery. Quite honestly, as much as I love him, I could never, ever, live with him permanently. We would drive each other insane!

As Hetty 58 said, you need your own space, and I'm sure your mother does too. We all get set in our ways as we get older, and we have our own routines, which are disrupted when you have someone else living under your roof. Much better to live separately, and be able to offer help when required.

I'm sorry for your circumstances, that it was necessary for you to move back in with your mother, and hope that things will improve for you. Thank your mother for all the help and support she has given you, but tell her you feel it's time that you moved out, so you can both have your own space again. Hopefully, your relationship with each other will then improve.

Katyj Fri 07-Feb-20 10:13:35

I understand completely, if you stay things will only become unbearable. I love my mum to bits, but could not live with her, and can only tolerate visiting twice a week, age changes them as it does us, it’s just the way it is. Move out, without guilt, it’ll be better for you both. Good luck .

Susan56 Fri 07-Feb-20 10:03:46

Don’t feel guilty.I am the main person when it comes to helping my mum but we could never live under the same roof.I hope that when you move out you and your mum can have some better times together?
Hetty,I totally agree with both your posts.

Hetty58 Fri 07-Feb-20 09:40:52

And - have you noticed that our mums are experts at making us feel guilty - whatever we do!

Hetty58 Fri 07-Feb-20 09:32:49

dortie145, yes, some (not all) people do everything for their mum. Some of us just aren't cut out for it - or don't have the sort of relationships with our mums that would make it possible.

You need your own space and that's quite understandable. Perhaps she does too. Screaming rows and drinking too much doesn't sound healthy - so leave with a clear conscience!

dortie145 Fri 07-Feb-20 08:57:42

I moved in with my Mum 88 through necessity 18 months ago. I had no money, no job and a dodgy car, and she has helped me enormously financially and can afford to do so. I am 64, she does not need care, and still drives. We do not get on however and the screaming rows and drama reminiscent of my childhood are getting me down. We both drink too much, probably because we are unhappy. I am moving out to a bed sit at my age! I dont have to go but for my sanity and to keep remnants of our relationship going I feel it's the only solution. She is ok with it but I feel guilt at being so dysfunctional! I see other people doing everything for their Mums but despite her age she doesn't need me really