Gransnet forums

AIBU

Eating at the cinema

(140 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 09-Feb-20 08:51:49

I was at the cinema last night and the young man beside me was eating crisps non stop for the first hour or so. The smell was awful not to mention the noise.

I've no objection to people quietly eating some sweets or chocolate or whatever but aibu to find this constant munching and guzzling and bringing in smelly nachos, hot dogs etc really annoying.

He and his girlfriend had bought the crisps somewhere outside the cinema and brought them in in their rucksack as they don't sell crisps at the ticket desk.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 19:44:54

Perhaps its lacking in people who visit somewhere that sells sweets, chocolate, popcorn, hot dogs and crisps, and then complain when people eat them.

Beswitched Sun 09-Feb-20 19:47:59

Did you read my op misadventure?

notanan2 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:49:11

aibu to find this constant munching and guzzling and bringing in smelly nachos, hot dogs etc really annoying.

Your OP.
HTH.

notanan2 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:50:18

People eat nachos and hot dogs in place that sells nachos and hot dogs

Shocker.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 19:50:25

Yes, but I don't think crisps bought from outside make any more noise than the things they sell inside.

Duvetdiva Sun 09-Feb-20 20:55:41

Shortly before the film is due to start at Vue cinemas an announcement is made reminding us to turn off our phones, to stop talking and to sit back and enjoy the film. It works!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:10:05

Loved 1917 and ate fruit pastilles throughout. I hope there was no sound but there is something compulsive about them while enjoying time at the cinema. I never eat them outside a cinema. I wouldn’t eat sweets with wrappers and I always open the packet before the film begins.

notanan2 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:16:20

Lovetopaint, the things I like to eat in the cinema are things I dont like to eat in other contexts ?

E.g. bonbons

MissAdventure Sun 09-Feb-20 23:20:37

I'm afraid I'm a crisp fan.

They sell warm, freshly made crisp things at our cinema.

Maggiemaybe Sun 09-Feb-20 23:39:46

Fruit pastilles. Ah yes. Perfect cinema sweets, imho. Or even eating in bed sweets.

I really am craving fruit pastilles now.

Hamp75 Mon 10-Feb-20 01:30:56

I don't understand why people have to eat at all. Its why there is an intermission when they come round with the ice cream. It especially annoys me that its not just a bag of popcorn. People sit down with a bucketful of the stuff each! I try to avoid sitting anywhere near anybody else when I go but thats not easy these days when you have to buy an allocated seat. I also hate people who talk through the previews for coming shows. If someone around me talks during the main film I do shush them and they usually stop.

JackyB Mon 10-Feb-20 08:31:57

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. It's a topic which comes up very often on the Kermode and Mayo film programme.

sodapop Mon 10-Feb-20 09:02:23

Love it JackyB should be compulsory

Smurf44 Mon 10-Feb-20 10:16:22

I agree with all the posters who think it is unnecessary to eat nachos, chips, noisy crisps, popcorn etc and drinking large cups of coffee or glasses of wine continuously during a film. I have no objection to folks eating a few quiet sweets - fruit pastilles are an excellent example, but not a whole meal!

I wonder how cinemas would feel if the local McDonalds, Prezzo, Subway, Pub etc started showing films? Cinemas should be for watching films and Restaurants/Pubs should be for eating and drinking. One can only wonder how clean the cinema seats are after previous visitors have spilled their drinks or food over the furniture and floor! ?.