Gransnet forums

AIBU

Eating at the cinema

(139 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 09-Feb-20 08:51:49

I was at the cinema last night and the young man beside me was eating crisps non stop for the first hour or so. The smell was awful not to mention the noise.

I've no objection to people quietly eating some sweets or chocolate or whatever but aibu to find this constant munching and guzzling and bringing in smelly nachos, hot dogs etc really annoying.

He and his girlfriend had bought the crisps somewhere outside the cinema and brought them in in their rucksack as they don't sell crisps at the ticket desk.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 09-Feb-20 09:11:18

Absolutely agree. It’s further evidence of people only caring about themselves and their needs. If you’re that hungry, why not eat nearby before or after (most cinemas are now in a complex of some sort) rather than eat the rubbishy hot dog or nachos, just seen as a quick buck by those running the cinema. And why do people have to eat all the way through anyway?

Grandad1943 Sun 09-Feb-20 09:18:34

My wife and I went to see the film 1917 a week ago at our local "Laugh and Scratch". We then had to put up with two older women in the row behind continually eating popcorn, crisps and talking throughout the film.

I can understand that having a bag of popcorn etc is all part of the cinema experience these days, but chatting while the film is playing is really annoying to all around those carrying out such.

Why go to the cinema if all you wish to do is talk, especially when that conversation has nothing to do with the film.

H1954 Sun 09-Feb-20 09:20:02

Yes, I find that SO annoying too! We, that's us as a couple never eat in the Cinema and when I take my young grandchildren they don't do it either! This also prevents any cross contamination as you never know what the little ones have touched on the way in! Yuk!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 09-Feb-20 09:33:25

Grandad1943 You must be a very tolerant person to have put up with the talking behind you. I think I might have had to say something. Tho my dh would not.

Doodledog Sun 09-Feb-20 09:41:02

I'm another who hates the smell and noise of the cinema experience, and I agree that it is a symptom of the 'me first' society that we have become.

I was at the theatre recently, and the man behind us explained the plot loudly to his poor wife all the way through, with a recap in the interval. People were glaring at him from all around, but he was oblivious. He also had a crackly cellophane bag of wrapped sweets, which he ate noisily as he spoke.

I can understand people with special needs (diabetics or similar) needing to eat, but otherwise, adults should surely be able to sit quietly for a couple of hours without needing food?

dragonfly46 Sun 09-Feb-20 09:48:42

We went to see Bob Dylan recently.
The couple behind us talked constantly throughout. I thought they were young but at the end it turned out they were quite elderly. Why pay all that money for seats if you just want to talk.
I was also amazed that during the concert people were walking to the bar, going out and getting nachos and other food.
I am afraid I remember the days when you weren't allowed into the theatre once the play had started.

rafichagran Sun 09-Feb-20 09:53:52

I agree the smell of some snacks are vile and I find it irritating, but if it is sold at the cinema you cannot blame the patrons for eating it.
Talking during the film is another thing, its inconsiderate and bad manners.

TerriBull Sun 09-Feb-20 10:06:39

We were also at the cinema watching 1917 a couple of nights ago, and again there were a couple of people who came in with a container the size of a bucket, popcorn I believe. We shared a modest packet of Maltesers between us. Cinemas, I imagine, rely on the revenue from their very over priced products. When I've taken grandchildren to see one of their Disneyesque movies I buy their chocolate buttons somewhere else, I did the same with my own children, the markup for such confectionery is ridiculous. I agree with others about the smell of some of the food, it's very overpowering. Cinema outings have become such a food fest. Oh for the days when a lady at the interval appeared with a portable tray of small tubs of ice creams, a dim and distant memory now.

Grammaretto Sun 09-Feb-20 10:07:35

It is such a spoiler for me too. I tend to only go to an independent cinema, where I'm a member, and the type of people who go to those films don't eat noisily or talk. they wouldn't dare
However I took DGD to see Frozen2 at the odeon with its super-comfy airline type reclining seats complete with a table I'm not kidding you and popcorn holders (or maybe for drinks) A far cry from the fleapits when I was a girl.
Those fleapits were smelly with cigarette smoke though and you were likely to find chewing gum on the armrest!
It's just Other people I'm sorry to say. They are a nightmare wink

RosesAreRed21 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:10:21

That drives me mad too, along with people talking throughout the film (i ask myself why they are there because they certainly not watching the film) and the third thing is people who are sitting in from of me constantly checking their phone as the bright light in the darkness almost blinds you

Grammaretto Sun 09-Feb-20 10:11:26

www.odeon.co.uk/cinemas/edinburgh_west/140/

Oopsminty Sun 09-Feb-20 10:15:31

We'd gone to see Les Mis

Packed cinema

The 50 something woman sat next to me was with a much older lady

Probably in her 80s

Half way through, younger woman proceeded to open her bag which had a full picnic in

I sat there as she unwrapped her egg sandwiches ... yes ... egg

Then the flask of tea appeared with all the hoohah that entailed

I still have no idea how I managed to remain silent

CarlyD7 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:15:45

Yes, I went to see David Copperfield last week and had to move twice before we settled - first seat was in front of 2 ladies who were constantly whispering to each other and pulling food out of their bag from very crackly packaging; the second was in front of a couple who had a large bucket of popcorn each. I know that cinemas make most of their money from selling food and drink, but why oh why can't they invent food (and packaging) that's quiet to eat? No wonder the volume on films is turned up SO LOUD !!!

harrigran Sun 09-Feb-20 10:15:56

I agree about the food and talking in the cinema, extremely irritating.
People are thoughtless and uncaring, why pay for entertainment if you want to talk through it and fiddle with your phone as I saw at last visit.

Grammaretto Sun 09-Feb-20 10:16:49

It happens at the theatre too, I am sorry to say. I don't think we have progressed much from the days when Nell Gwyn sold oranges to theatre goers in the 17th century.

hicaz46 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:17:18

The Everyman cinema in Altrincham, near to where my daughter lives actually serves burgers, pizzas and drinks and brings them in and serves you at your seat when they are cooked, during the film. We were astounded when visiting with our GC. The rows are especially spacious to accommodate the waiting staff delivering meals!

Nvella Sun 09-Feb-20 10:17:32

I went to see the David Copperfield film last week and a family arrived with four children aged from about 6 to 2. It was a completely unsuitable film for them and within a half hour or so the older ones were on phones (lighting up the cinema) and the toddlers were running around the aisles. People asked them to control the children (including cinema staff) but they did nothing.

TerriBull Sun 09-Feb-20 10:20:49

I love the Everyman Cinemas for a really nice experience, we have one a couple of miles away from us, comfy sofas and you can bring in a glass of wine, bought in the foyer with you, side tables provided. However, some of their screens are quite small, and with films such as 1917 for example, a big screen experience is a must, so in that case we do opt for our local multiplex Odeon, cheaper, but a greater proliferation of "munchers"

Caro57 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:23:48

Don’t mind eating so long as it is quiet, non smelly and the wrapping also quiet. Went to a Fleetwood Mac tribute at the Lowry a while ago and some girls behind us where very noisy - laughing and talking. They were evicted at the interval- most satisfying for all those around!!

GrannyAnnie2010 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:23:56

Am I the only one who carries a can of (food safe) air freshener in my bag to use when strong-smelling food is consumed in my close vicinity?

Oldwoman70 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:28:00

I haven't been to the cinema for years - mostly because of the behaviour of other patrons! I want to watch a film not listen to people eating and having a conversation.

Nansypansy Sun 09-Feb-20 10:28:06

I’m embarrassed ?... when I go to the cinema with a friend I usually take a box of Maltesers .... I went with my son and ex husband recently and we even had a drinky drink with the outside bought popcorn ? .... and some people in front of us also had tinnys ?

chris8888 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:29:17

It does spoil the film when you are next to someone constantly eating. I also hate the phones, yes people have them on silent but they light up when a message or txt comes through. Turning them off seems almost impossible for some.

Beswitched Sun 09-Feb-20 10:36:44

The phones are a nuisance. Some people think they're discreetly checking them and don't seem to realise the light is hugely distracting for everyone sitting behind them.

Also people drinking large buckets of coke and then disturbing everyone in their row when they inevitably have to make a couple of trips to the loo angry