Gransnet forums

AIBU

Spell my name right!

(140 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 16-Feb-20 13:37:27

In my generation you were probably named either Susan or Ann (or Anne) Bad enough to be one of five in the same class with the same name but every time I give my name I have to spell it.
I blame my mother and just put up with it but I get irritable when, after knowing or communicating with someone for some time, they keep using the other spelling.
It seems rude to point it out but they are rude to not use the right spelling of my very common name. I want to say No, there’s no E, it is not spelled any old way at random. Each of us is either Ann or Anne, roughly half and half so it’s not odd to have the E or to not have the E.

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 16:08:48

Don't mention Jacquelines!

Jacqui, Jacquie, Jackie, Jacky and now, I realise looking at the Christmas cards, Jaki!

AGAA4 Sun 16-Feb-20 16:10:11

People often say my name wrongly. It is a very short name eg Jean but I have been called Jane, Joan, Julia. None of them are my name!

Wheniwasyourage Sun 16-Feb-20 16:13:06

My first name has at least 6 different versions, and so I often have to spell it. When we married I took DH's surname, not realising that the Scottish ways of spelling it are different from the English way. If we send off for anything from England it always comes with the English spelling unless it is an order made on a computer form. Obviously computers don't have so many pre-conceived ideas!

I agree that is very annoying when you have made a point of spelling out a name and then find that it makes no difference.

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Feb-20 16:29:28

I once sent my SIL a birthday card, she posted the card straight back to me with Anne crossed out and replaced with Ann.

How rude of your SIL, Marydoll!

Most people can cope with Maggie. I do have one very good friend though who has written it as Meggie, Maggy, Maggi and even Magi. I really don’t care as long as she keeps in touch. smile

Cherrytree59 Sun 16-Feb-20 16:31:27

Had friend at school who when asked her name, she always replied Jayne with a y.

As there were several other Janes/Jaynes at the school, she was often referred to as 'Jayne with a y'.

It is our not so unusual surname that people seem to have trouble spelling correctly.

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-20 16:32:29

OK, Callistemon, How about Jacquay?

My friends used to ask if she was Quackers! grin

whywhywhy Sun 16-Feb-20 16:36:31

My mam was called Anne Hannah and when my gran died she discovered that she was actually Ann. She decided to stay with Anne.

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 16:41:55

I haven't come across that one merlotgran
It sounds a bit Eastenders
Rickay!

dragonfly46 Sun 16-Feb-20 16:46:30

My name has an A at the end. Without the A it is a completely different name so I always make sure people get it right the first time!

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-20 16:52:45

It sounds a bit EastEnders

grin grin

I am talking about the family Margot Leadbetter!

Kalu Sun 16-Feb-20 17:10:10

Of course Margot would pronounce Jacquay as Zhaquay a la français ?

BlueBelle Sun 16-Feb-20 17:20:32

I have a friend Ann without an e a friend Anne with an e and a Carole with an e
My sons name can be pronounced two ways and even when I say it to someone (the correct way) they reply with it the incorrect way, gets me every time

SalsaQueen Sun 16-Feb-20 17:27:18

Mine's Lynne, but I get emails and letters for Lyn and Lynn. Some chump even addressed a letter to Linda. I returned that letter as "not known at this address.

shysal Sun 16-Feb-20 17:33:28

I know someone who doesn't even get her husband's name right. When she signs cards it is sometimes Alan and sometimes Allan! I hate the thought of getting it wrong myself but can never be sure.
I have several Carol/Caroles and Katharine/Catherine/ Kathryns to send to and have them all spelt correctly in my address book. I think it rude to not make the effort.

Chewbacca Sun 16-Feb-20 17:35:43

Funnily enough SalsaQueen my "D"H never got my name right either. Not once. Another reason he's an ex.

BBbevan Sun 16-Feb-20 17:48:46

My name was very unusual in the 50/60s It is getting rather more popular now. There are two spellings. What really annoys me is when you send a card or letter to someone and they reply using the other spelling of my name. I have two nieces, now in their 50s. Since they were born I have sent them birthday and Christmas cards. They still can’t get my name right. I find it quite rude really.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Feb-20 17:48:48

Well chew is quite an unusual name to get right ???

SalsaQueen Sun 16-Feb-20 18:08:28

Chewbacca Your husband didn't get your name right? Bloody hell, that's definitely grounds for divorce

MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-20 18:21:35

I answer to various variations on my name.
Whenever someone has suddenly panicked, discovering that they might have been calling me the wrong name for goodness knows how long (this started happening when I got an email address with my correct name!) my response was, and still is, that as long as it's polite, I really don't mind what people call me smile.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 16-Feb-20 20:05:51

This is more about what’s heard rather than what’s written but nearly everyone in my mother’s family has two names - the name on their birth certificate and another family name that’s completely different but not necessarily a pet name. My mother worked with her sister: at work her sister called her by her proper name and in private by her family name, and would never get it wrong. It confuses the hell out of other people.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 20:22:31

Yes Calli I agree!
And what about:

Lindsey
Lindsay
Linzi
Linzy
Linsey
Linsay
Lyndsey
Lindsay
Lynsey
Lynsay

??

Willynilly Sun 16-Feb-20 20:40:18

I have a very unusual Christian name, and it’s rare to find it pronounced properly....very irritating when I was younger, but I don’t care much now.
I suppose I’m more comfortable with it/myself now.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Feb-20 20:56:51

My dad had 2 first names, one used by his family and one by his friends. He also had a name which was derived from his surname. 3 names all for one man, depending on who was calling!

I asked him one day if he minded?

He replied ‘I don’t mind what I’m called so long as it’s not late for dinner’.

?

Callistemon Sun 16-Feb-20 21:01:54

Urmstongran grin

I only know a Lyndsey (female), a Lyndsay (male) and a Linzi!!

GagaJo Sun 16-Feb-20 21:02:43

People frequently spell my name wrong. I wouldn't mind, it's a matter of one letter, BUT the pronunciation is different, too.

It's got so bad that I now shorten it myself, despite disliking the shortened version. But in theory, that way it can't be spelled wrong. Some STILL manage to though. Urgh