Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be fed up with some posters who cannot accept others have different opinions?

(168 Posts)
aprilrose Mon 24-Feb-20 06:06:39

I am about to go to work so dont expect me back soon.

However, I have to ask - is it unreasonable to get fed up with some posters who seem to feel that they have to have the last word on anything and everything? Who constantly need to preach some political or social agenda, no matter what the topic? Who cannot accept others do not necessarily care about the things they care about and feel the need to "educate" you into sharing ( or at least expressing their views out of fear)?

Surely we are all old enough to recognise we have differences and we do not all share one brain cell, one life experience and one set of opinions on things?

I would love to just be able to declare my views sometimes and not have to meet with the "shock and horror" of others who think I am being too hard, or not caring for the rest of society . I am not sharing their views or their bigger picture.

Why cant we have our own views, listen to others, realise some may have different views and opinions and accept that? I dont mind a debate any time but to throw rude words , phrases and comments like " you are uneducated, you are stupid , you are an idiot and to belittle people I feel goes too far. Am I over reacting? Maybe I should just give up GN?

Yehbutnobut Mon 24-Feb-20 12:28:25

If that’s true ... I expect ball us remainers and left wingers share your opinion. Can’t answer for the ‘other side’ though.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 12:32:23

Doodle I’ve already posted what the factual inaccuracy was.

Greymar Mon 24-Feb-20 12:43:03

Where is all this belittleing and insulting going on?

april rose seemed to have some firm opinions yesterday that BJ was genetically suited to being a leader. They were opinions presented as facts.

This morning off we go on a anti Corbyn post and this oddity.

I dunno? Its all rather weird.

Doodledog Mon 24-Feb-20 12:52:14

Doodle I’ve already posted what the factual inaccuracy was.

Okaaay. Well, I have now trawled through your posts on this thread, and found a vague reference to something (presumably on a different thread) about Johnson's grandfather. Is that it? If so, then frankly I am no wiser.

Should we have to read every post on every thread before we can join in without being spoken to as though we are stupid?

Greymar Mon 24-Feb-20 12:57:45

Where has someone spoken to you as if you are stupid?

maddyone Mon 24-Feb-20 13:04:27

Whatever anyone thinks about Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn is quite obviously an opinion. Likewise whatever anyone thinks of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex is obviously an opinion, there were a few quite spirited threads about them recently. Some things are facts, BJ is the Prime Minister at present, JC is the Leader of the Opposition, at present anyway, but another fact is that soon someone else will be the Leader of the Opposition. We all know this obviously, so why is it difficult to understand the difference between fact and opinion. I don’t understand why there’s any confusion.

Namsnanny Mon 24-Feb-20 13:44:23

Doodledog ...I agree with every point you have made. Especially what constitutes a fact is open to debate....according to the sources etc.
People all to easily overlook their internal bias to search out 'facts' that support prejudices.

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 13:57:51

To some extent, yes. And yet ... if the USA Senate has been told that the US will build the replacement for our nuclear Trident- and our own Government has not been told- and this is published by several reputable sources- then it is fact. We can discuss it- but we can't deny fact.

Even IDS is now saying that we need experts to solve the Brexit mess as there is trouble ahead- those who understand the 'facts' and not the rhetoric.

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 13:59:56

People are entitled to have their opinion- but if their opinion defies proven facts- then anyone is entitled to challenge, politely, but robustly if facts continue to be denied.

Is the earth flat? Yes, I believe it is (not).

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 14:02:57

Take that awful woman on Question Time the other day. It is a fact she is a Tony Robinson supporter and involved in far right politics. It is a fact she was planted by the QT selector, who has close links to the far right. And it is a fact that the opinions she spouted and ranted- were false. We can debate whether, as I believe, that rant was full of hate and racism. I say it was.

Callistemon Mon 24-Feb-20 14:12:49

Faced with someone who believes that the earth is flat and puts forward every argument for that view, it is difficult not to laugh in the end jura, or to escape.
However, that harms no-one but themselves.

rosecarmel Mon 24-Feb-20 14:18:09

It doesn't seem to matter much to some that when facts are presented, along with evidence, it still isn't enough to "convince" them- Even though convincing others isn't necessary- So why attempt to? Doesn't forcing facts, or opinions, come across like promoting an agenda opposed to just having a discussion of even a debate?

MerylStreep Mon 24-Feb-20 14:33:50

Trident. and our own government has not been told
If anyone's interested that is not true. The 2 governments had agreed when they were going to make the announcement but nobody told the man in the Senate ( the one who made the announcement)
As stupid and unbelievable as that sounds, that's the truth.

MaizieD Mon 24-Feb-20 15:02:11

Doesn't forcing facts, or opinions, come across like promoting an agenda opposed to just having a discussion of even a debate?

How can you have a discussion or a debate (a debate being, as I understand it, an exchange where people make a case for something in order to get others to support it) without any recourse to facts?

MaizieD Mon 24-Feb-20 15:04:17

Come to think of it, how can you form an opinion without any recourse to facts (or fake facts)?

timetogo2016 Mon 24-Feb-20 15:12:26

Spot on April.
Some people think their opinions are 100% accurate and your opinion is meaningless.
Leave them to it I say.

Greymar Mon 24-Feb-20 15:25:05

Thats the whole point!!! It was an opinion given as a fact.

jura2 Mon 24-Feb-20 15:26:00

mryl ''Trident. and our own government has not been told
If anyone's interested that is not true. The 2 governments had agreed when they were going to make the announcement but nobody told the man in the Senate ( the one who made the announcement)
As stupid and unbelievable as that sounds, that's the truth.''

link please- are you a member of the Cabinet?

But even so- if that is fact - you do remember that we are a Parliamentary Democracy? Should MPs really find out this kind of massive news from the Press?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 24-Feb-20 15:37:18

I agree with you OP. Some people just like to air their views for the sake of it (or start an argument for fun - my late father was like that) and must have the last word.
I believe that in How to Make friends and Influence People there is a chapter on how to disagree with others without becoming disagreeable. Sage advice.

Fennel Mon 24-Feb-20 15:49:44

My view is that if we really want to get to the truth of a subject of debate we need to have as many views as possible. Even though they might seem to conflict at first.
We all need to open our minds to the fact that we might be wrong. Only when all views are taken into account can we reach the truth, whatever it is.
I'm a Pisces so it's easier for me - I can usually see the other sides, but can't make my mind up.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Feb-20 15:55:54

Take that awful woman on Question Time the other day. It is a fact she is a Tony Robinson supporter and involved in far right politics. It is a fact she was planted by the QT selector, who has close links to the far right. And it is a fact that the opinions she spouted and ranted- were false. We can debate whether, as I believe, that rant was full of hate and racism. I say it was.

Yes I saw that Jura and was disgusted. It wasn't simply what she said, but the way she said it.
The question is, should that sort of thing be publicised or not?
By tweeting about it, is the BBC encouraging others to spout hatred, or are they doing a public service by drawing our attention to such people and the dangers they present to a civilised society?

Not read the whole thread, but in answer to the OP, I think if you want to air your opinins onan open forum, you have to be prepared not only for the fact that some people will disagree with you, but also that some of them will hide behind anonymity to be unnecessarily unpleasant. Unless they breach forum guidelines, there's not much you can do about it.

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 17:29:12

The truth is not always up for debate. Some things are true because they are true. Some people on GN simply cannot accept that.

Fennel Mon 24-Feb-20 17:29:43

Jane I agree with your last paragraph.
It's something in our human nature that's difficult to resist.

aprilrose Mon 24-Feb-20 19:55:02

Thank you all for your replies. I did not expect so many. Thank you also to those who offered support. I am glad of the support, sometimes ones confidence is shaken when an incident occurs and it is unexpected.

However, I noticed one or two posters who immediately jumped to some conclusions .
I do not want to go into detail and identify posters or anything but I would say:

a) my question was not prompted by anything on the politics board. yes I have engaged there on occassions. I expect that forum to be contentious - although I will admit the insults are sometimes uncalled for and unjustified even in that environment . My own view is there is no need to make personal insults to have a discussion and differences of opinion can be just that, except for some that seems difficult.
My question was prompted by an incident on another forum - one of those quite backwater forums where you do not expect to be preached at or pushed into a political stance because the whole forum is about something entirely different. It was finding myself being cornered insuch a place that prompted my slip in confidence and the question.

b) fwiw I am not right wing at all ( only those who seem to be extremists themselves might say that I suspect. I am actually quite middle of the road. I do feel it was not justified by some to make that suggestion at all and it was not relevent to what I asked about.

c) I think some of the opinions expressed here were not ideal because they seem to have picked up the wrong end of the stick entirely as I mentioned in (a) and (b) above.

However, I have read all the replies. I am grateful to you all. I thank you for your opinions and thoughts. I thank those who offered support and advice. I value all your replies. Thank you smile

suziewoozie Mon 24-Feb-20 20:00:03

If you say so april