Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be fed up with some posters who cannot accept others have different opinions?

(168 Posts)
aprilrose Mon 24-Feb-20 06:06:39

I am about to go to work so dont expect me back soon.

However, I have to ask - is it unreasonable to get fed up with some posters who seem to feel that they have to have the last word on anything and everything? Who constantly need to preach some political or social agenda, no matter what the topic? Who cannot accept others do not necessarily care about the things they care about and feel the need to "educate" you into sharing ( or at least expressing their views out of fear)?

Surely we are all old enough to recognise we have differences and we do not all share one brain cell, one life experience and one set of opinions on things?

I would love to just be able to declare my views sometimes and not have to meet with the "shock and horror" of others who think I am being too hard, or not caring for the rest of society . I am not sharing their views or their bigger picture.

Why cant we have our own views, listen to others, realise some may have different views and opinions and accept that? I dont mind a debate any time but to throw rude words , phrases and comments like " you are uneducated, you are stupid , you are an idiot and to belittle people I feel goes too far. Am I over reacting? Maybe I should just give up GN?

rosecarmel Thu 27-Feb-20 00:34:51

Speaking of helium ..

President Trump's campaign is suing the New York Times for libel over an opinion piece ..

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 23:28:03

? You shouldn't over-react...

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 23:27:31

Helium walks into a bar and orders a beer, the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve noble gases here." He doesn't react.

rosecarmel Wed 26-Feb-20 23:24:46

You is smart, you is ..

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 22:55:53

*stamina hmm

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 22:53:40

..and stammina... ?

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 22:52:33

No just optimism...

welbeck Wed 26-Feb-20 22:49:38

i'm lost.
just wasted 25 minutes reading all this, trying to make sense of it, to the bitter ! end, in the hope something would be resolved.
do i suffer from completionism,
or procrastination to do something i'm not keen on, but feel a duty...
lack of autonomy to decide to walk away... and act upon it.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 21:52:53

...Errrm ok dear...hmm

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Feb-20 21:50:03

Gotcha!

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 21:49:25

anniezzz09*Better come clean *

(facepalm)

Why???

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Feb-20 21:43:57

Dude? Peeps? Are you American by any chance? Under 40? A wind up merchant? You've certainly got an axe to grind. Better come clean because I'm not sure anyone agrees with you. You're out to make trouble.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 21:29:08

Dude, this forum is flooded with bullying- Flooded-

Ah, you must be brand new here...

rosecarmel Wed 26-Feb-20 21:08:48

Dude, this forum is flooded with bullying- Flooded-

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 18:32:36

Where is the demanding? And unlike the real world we can choose to ignore/switch off. So there is no demanding is there? ?

Chestnut Wed 26-Feb-20 18:04:10

Vegansrock chestnut by your definition there are two groups of “pack dogs” since one bunch of posters take one point of view, another group opposing. To pretend there is only one “group”, when in reality there are no “groups”, only individuals who agree and another bunch of individuals who disagree. To pretend that only the ones who disagree with you are somehow “pack dogs” I would deem offensive.
I am not pretending anything. I didn't mention any particular groups of posters, whether left or right, or whether they agree with me or not. All I said was:
The term 'pack dogs' is pretty accurate when applied to a group of posters who attack one poster in particular and criticise her comments.
I think that is clear enough to understand. It can sometimes appear to be a group effort when several posters start attacking someone who has expressed a viewpoint different from their own.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 18:03:44

Demanding an arguement is abusive.

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 18:01:19

Bullying is a subcategory of aggressive behavior characterized by the following three minimum criteria: (1) hostile intent, (2) imbalance of power, and (3) repetition over a period of time.[2] Bullying is the activity of repeated, aggressive behavior intended to hurt another individual, physically, mentally, or

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 18:00:39

That's an opinion of course but where is the bullying ?

grannyactivist Wed 26-Feb-20 18:00:05

1) Play the ball and not the person.

2) Accept that those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still (doffs hat to Dale Carnegie for this one).

3) Be kind.

That's it really. To be kind is what we all (I suppose) taught our children.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 17:59:31

Some people get a little buss out of deliberately misunderstanding posts.

Others clamour for that attention, or chance browbeat.

It's very immature.

Greymar Wed 26-Feb-20 17:49:32

Plenty of examples of bullying on this thread

Where?

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Feb-20 17:45:42

I wouldn't be one to judge, I usually find that's the best way.

ananimous Wed 26-Feb-20 17:21:41

Plenty of examples of bullying on this thread, take a look, I hardly think even someone unqualified could miss it.

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Feb-20 17:08:14

That's pretty prescriptive ananimous. Unless you are a qualified psychologist or similar, it's very dangerous and unhelpful to throw the label narcissist around. It's very misused and misunderstood.