Gransnet forums

AIBU

Veganism

(279 Posts)
Bbarb Tue 25-Feb-20 13:55:56

Am I being unreasonable in my concern of the brainwashing my GCs are getting at school by teachers who are encouraging them to shun meat? Not just meat either, but animal products such as eggs and milk and leather shoes.
I would go as far as mentioning some of them are having these ideals forced into their little brains and giving them (well my g daughter) bad dreams of little lambs being 'tortured to death' so that greedy humans can flourish.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Mar-20 18:37:28

Markets will always adapt to demand. Of course, delays will happen. This discussion is about veganism. There's no call for personal insults.

Riverwalk Wed 04-Mar-20 18:45:17

I'm vegan but never eat avocado, quinoa or kale myself. I just don't like them

I don't know your reasons for being vegan Hetty but just wondering what your thoughts are on 'philosophical' vegans who don't eat avocados.

Hetty58 Wed 04-Mar-20 19:22:09

The way I see it, veganism is a philosophy. People can be vegan for various reasons, religious, health conscious and/or against animal cruelty.

I don't buy products or invest with funds/firms involved with animal testing, don't use wool or leather, won't eat honey - in fact anything that exploits living creatures - as far as practically possible.

I still shop sometimes in places that sell meat and/or animal fibres as it's just too difficult not to.

I cook for the meat eaters, vegetarians and allergy sufferers in my family. My cat eats meat (she has to - being a carnivore) and my dog eats salmon. I'm practical about things. Avocados are just too rich for me and give me stomach ache!