Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’ll swing for him!

(64 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 12:04:53

AIBU to ask that DH shuts the back door in this weather. I’m sat here with a cold (or worse!), shivering, clutching a hot water bottle when suddenly the temperature drops.

He has only gone outside and left the @#&@£(+# back door wide open ???

And it’s me who pays the energy bills.

pinkquartz Wed 26-Feb-20 12:07:10

I have a friend who helps me when I am ill who does the same.
I get upset.
You have my sympathy.

Sussexborn Wed 26-Feb-20 12:12:32

We have a side door which I often find left open. It does lead to an enclosed passage but amazing how quickly the temperature drops.

Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 12:15:44

And how long it takes to build up the warmth again ?

Urmstongran Wed 26-Feb-20 12:18:48

Bit like my husband ybnb! He must have been born in a barn. Mind you, unlike me, he doesn’t seem to feel the cold.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 26-Feb-20 12:25:02

Other than an inner automatic sliding door(send H the bill )not a lot.

endlessstrife Wed 26-Feb-20 12:50:51

Tell him the next time he does it, you’ll shut him out there, and he can only come back in when he’s convinced you he won’t do it again ?

Oldwoman70 Wed 26-Feb-20 13:02:14

Another vote for locking the door and leaving him out there for 30 minutes - with the bitingly cold wind today he won't do it again!

SirChenjin Wed 26-Feb-20 13:04:41

I’d just lock the door behind him the next time he does it - it’s not as if you haven’t asked him politely on numerous occasions to close it.

jenpax Wed 26-Feb-20 13:28:30

Oh no! I was guilty of the same thing this morning! Lugging heavy food waste bin in one hand and in other bin bag of recycling for bin collection! I left the back door open while I dragged the stuff to the end of the drive??‍♀️

DanniRae Wed 26-Feb-20 14:04:00

My bl**dy husband does exactly the same thing. I get the living room nice and warm and suddenly the temperature drops. I know instantly what has happened......he has gone into the garden and left the patio door open. Ggggrrr!!!! I usually stomp over to the door and slide it shut as noisily as I can. BUT I have never thought of locking him out - next time I will close the door quietly and lock it! That'll learn him as we say around these parts grin

TrendyNannie6 Wed 26-Feb-20 14:07:49

Lock him outside lol

Parsley3 Wed 26-Feb-20 14:08:32

My husband is the same. He doesn’t close the door because he is coming back in again !!!!!

paddyanne Wed 26-Feb-20 14:12:19

Its me who does it here ,I dont feel the cold ,usually in bare feet and short sleeved tops at home and when nipping outside for something .My GD started going without shoes outdoors because she saw me doing it and her mum was furious.OH follows me around shutting windows and doors and complaining he's freezing .My mother always had windows open when we were small she said it stopped infections spreading .

Kalu Wed 26-Feb-20 14:27:42

Oh dear, I do this on occasion and DH does exactly the same as yours paddyanne?

I nip out the back door to do something which would only take seconds then I notice something which catches my attention, forgetting the door has been left open. I often return to a closed door and another, for goodness sake you’re letting the cold in. Must do better.

SalsaQueen Wed 26-Feb-20 14:45:50

When he goes out (to his shed or wherever), shut the door and lock him out grin until he's a bit more thoughtful grin

Callistemon Wed 26-Feb-20 15:24:42

It was the front door the other day.
The thing was - he'd come indoors again!!

Ginny42 Wed 26-Feb-20 15:49:16

I live in a barn anyway! grin

Barmeyoldbat Wed 26-Feb-20 16:12:11

I think a lot of men are missing the heat gene. Mr Barmey not only leaves the back door open when he is working outside but has tried unsuccessfully, to be controlling with the heating.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 26-Feb-20 16:15:30

Fit a spring loaded door closer that will close the door after him, if you’re lucky it will smack him on the backside as he goes out!

ayse Wed 26-Feb-20 16:16:11

My DH is just the same, leaving the door open in all weathers. It makes me very cross but there seems to be a totally blank look when I complain.

What is it about folk who don’t shut doors when it’s cold. I also pay the heating bill. Grrrr!??

vampirequeen Wed 26-Feb-20 16:21:30

Today I opened all the windows to let some fresh air in. I don't feel the cold like normal people. I only realised I'd left them open for longer than I'd intended when my poor DH turned blue.

annep1 Wed 26-Feb-20 16:30:41

It's annoying when the door is left open in freezing cold weather no matter who pays the bill.

MiniMoon Wed 26-Feb-20 17:45:36

YANBU!

I live with a man who doesn't know how to shut a door, any door.
I'm constantly springing up out of my comfortable seat to close the door.
Perhaps it's because he was brought up on a farm.

anniezzz09 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:21:20

Yep, same here, my husband would like to live in a field I always say. His hands are always icy but he says he hasn't noticed. He doesn't close drawers either.