Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’ll swing for him!

(65 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Wed 26-Feb-20 12:04:53

AIBU to ask that DH shuts the back door in this weather. I’m sat here with a cold (or worse!), shivering, clutching a hot water bottle when suddenly the temperature drops.

He has only gone outside and left the @#&@£(+# back door wide open ???

And it’s me who pays the energy bills.

Yehbutnobut Thu 27-Feb-20 16:26:46

Bijou hugs xx

Cid24 Thu 27-Feb-20 16:45:44

My hubby is just the same, drives me mad!

Juliet27 Thu 27-Feb-20 16:50:10

I work in a school and the outer doors are frequently left open. I mumbled about it as I closed one of them today and a colleague said ‘ but didn’t you know were responsible for heating the town’.

rosenoir Thu 27-Feb-20 16:58:51

Although I am a clean and tidy person I cannot seem to close drawers and doors. I am sure that when I go into my bedroom later the wardrobe door and several drawers will be open, it must be me as I live alone.

HiPpyChick57 Thu 27-Feb-20 17:48:52

Lock him out and then go and have a long soak in the bath. Find something that annoys him and keep doing it.

pengwen Thu 27-Feb-20 18:01:40

I was in a waiting area of the new theatre in our area.Every time someone came in or out the door it did not shut properly.
It was freezing.
Automatic doors would be so much better.
(I left the back door open today whole I hung the washing out) ,I was letting in some fresh air!

Namsnanny Thu 27-Feb-20 19:32:58

Now at the risk of sounding obsessed with 'things that need to be put back in their home' ...…..the telephone is never and I really mean NEVER put back in its holder, but infuriatingly left just beside on the work surface!
Same with the scissors, fruit (beside not in bowl) veg, knives, post, toothbrush in fact anything that needs putting away.

Bijou flowers

Alittlemadam Fri 28-Feb-20 21:04:36

Unfortunately this is me i just love fresh air DH moans its cold

BlueSky Fri 28-Feb-20 21:36:14

Bijou I was thinking the same thing as you, although I'm lucky to still have my DH! Of course he does annoying little things just like I do but I feel for people who have lost their partners. flowers

LightAmber Sat 29-Feb-20 19:18:16

OH will happily light the fire and then go out through the garage and leave the garage wide open and the door to the garage helpfully propped open. Wind hurtles through that gap and send the temperature dropping like a stone. Ours is an old house so is difficult to keep ”mildly warm” (most rooms hover between. 17°c and 19°c if the sun is out! But frequently are 12°c first thing in the morning, so I wear thermals!) so we don't need any extra help to reduce the temperature!

Will he learn! hmm

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 19:29:35

I have a lovely thermal curtain across the living room door. It insulates against any draughts or sudden drops in the hall temperature when the door outside is opened. (Nobody except me closes the porch door before opening the front door - or vice versa - inconsiderate beings!)

TLWOOLY1 Sun 01-Mar-20 23:14:23

I simply can’t believe how many of us have the same problem! We can only afford to heat the living room so whilst it’s very toasty in there, it’s like the arctic in the hallway and I’ve lost count of the amount of times he leaves the living room door open! I’ve taken to shouting “door” every time he leaves the room. It’s funny when he jumps because he forgets I’m going to shout it ? You have to take amusement where ever you can get it!

Namsnanny Mon 02-Mar-20 23:12:36

TLWOOLY1 … yes so many!! I'd love to hear the reverse of the situation from the men!! smile

Still mystifies me though, how is it that closing a door passes them by?

JuliaM Mon 02-Mar-20 23:36:39

I have a nice deliberately cool utility room where the big catering fridge, freezers, washing machine and tumble dryer live, plus wall cupboards where cleaning products are kept. The big problem is that DH thinks he’s being very clever and tidy if he shoves ANY item from the weekly shop into these wall cupboards, with the rest of the wash powder, window sprays and bathroom cleaner etc. Not only does this make things like cakes and bread taste ‘soapy’, l have to hunt around for things that l cannot find in the kitchen but know l bought recently, and let all the cold air into the main kitchen whilst doing so! Tonight whilst preparing tea l needed a stock cube, couldn’t find them anywhere, finally DH found them in the cupboard we keep the paint brushes and toilet rolls in, Grrr!