Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tattoos Look Scummy

(61 Posts)
granniechrissie Sun 08-Mar-20 20:23:37

AIBU to think most tattoos look scummy. I think tattoos look really scummy and I think most people agree but I just to afraid to agree.

Lavazza1st Sun 08-Mar-20 22:07:12

There are some extremely talented tattoo artists and I've seen some absolutely exquisite floral tattoos which are a real piece of art.

As with anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so much is down to personal preference. I don't have any tattoos, but it's mainly because I hate needles and also can't commit to one design. I get bored too easily. Another problem I foresee is that sometimes a tattoo can look like a dirty mark from a distance and also can restrict what clothing choices people make. I think it a shame when people tattoo the whites of their eyes black and go blind or disfigure their facial features.

Still, most people these days have a tattoo and I definitely dont think they look scummy.

Calendargirl Sun 08-Mar-20 22:11:37

Lucca

I think the word ‘common’ is as relevant today, in certain circumstances, as it was in 1955.

rafichagran Sun 08-Mar-20 22:15:38

Dirty and scummy, never had my tattoo described as that before. I have heard all the descriptions including tramp stamps and slag tabs. I have a very small tattoo in the small of my back. It means something to me, and is in no way common.
I am very clean, I take a pride in my appearance, hold down a good job, and my partner and I take a pride in our homes. Yes plural he has a home on another country.
I think you are out to make trouble OP, and as for you saying people agree with you, what arrogance. It's not even half term yet. Sorry but your post gives the impression of someone who lacks maturity.

tanith Sun 08-Mar-20 22:16:43

If you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all. I think most people could really care less. If people want tats it’s their business.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 08-Mar-20 22:20:24

Yes you are being unreasonable, and very judgemental!, and I don’t care if you think they are scummy, I have them and far from scummy thankyou very much, and I don’t agree people are afraid to say they don’t like them, you sound to me as if you want to stir up trouble, how about live and let live

BlueBelle Sun 08-Mar-20 22:23:09

Not many grannies use the word scummy

MissAdventure Sun 08-Mar-20 22:24:50

There is room enough for everyone to do what they like.
Tattoos, no tattoos.
What does it matter to anyone else, what one person chooses to do.

NanaandGrampy Sun 08-Mar-20 22:58:46

Good point Bluebelle?

Gaunt47 Sun 08-Mar-20 23:12:38

I don't mind them, yes it's up to the person concerned. But what does make me shake my aged head is seeing tatts on shoulders and arms of brides. They're wearing the pretty white dress and the flowers and the lovely hair and tatts just look wrong somehow.

MissAdventure Sun 08-Mar-20 23:17:29

The tattoos they do on the reconstructed nipples of some breast cancer survivors look great. smile

Hithere Sun 08-Mar-20 23:22:51

I am cracking up with OP's judgement.

If you looked at me, you wouldn't guess I have chosen body modifications (it is a whole new world, not just tattoos)
They haven't impacted my career, studies, choice of husband or kids.
I am a highly qualified professional with high level education. I even speak more than one language!

One thing is saying you do not like tattoos (they are not for you), judging others for having them makes you "scummy"

Who has time for this? Life is way too busy.

Dollymac Sun 08-Mar-20 23:23:58

My daughter has three tiny tattoos, her decision
She has a very responsible career and is a brilliant mother
She doesn't look 'scummy' I'm not even sure what that means, do you mean people who have tattoos are scum?
What a dreadful generalisation and what a shocking thing to say about someone

BradfordLass73 Sun 08-Mar-20 23:55:27

granniechrissie Which one is "scummy" ?

Ancient Briton
Maori elder
Samoan tribal tattoo

Spangles1963 Mon 09-Mar-20 00:33:50

I know I will be accused of being sexist by saying this,but I quite like them on men,but not on women. No idea why.

May7 Mon 09-Mar-20 00:49:09

Thank you OP
I think my tattoos look really ScRummy

MissAdventure Mon 09-Mar-20 00:51:15

grin

absent Mon 09-Mar-20 06:14:29

Where I live tattoos are a powerful cultural heritage and phenomenal works of art. As an old wrinkly person I have chosen not to to do it, but my daughter and son-in-law have quite a few. One of my daughter's is a unique, carefully researched reference to her Irish heritage and others are just beautiful. My son-in-law is of Maori descent and his are also skilful and meaningful.

mumofmadboys Mon 09-Mar-20 07:39:46

To say tattoos look scummy is like saying dyed hair looks tarty!

Grannyjay Mon 09-Mar-20 07:47:09

What a spiteful comment granniechrissie! I don’t have any as it’s my choice just as it’s the choice of many hard working respectable people who choose to have them. Honestly some gransnet bloggers to get out more!

Chewbacca Mon 09-Mar-20 07:56:03

I'm more judgemental of using the word scummy than I am of tattoos.
I personally don't want a tat, but I've seen some that are like works of art and the owner's of them have been proud to show them to me and explain their significance. Their body; their choice.

Kandinsky Mon 09-Mar-20 08:02:13

Maybe it’s a generational thing, but I always associate tattoos with masculinity. I don’t know anyone female around my age with a tattoo, but I know a few men.
Unfortunately, in my area, there is a bit of a snob factor around tattoos. ( the poorer part of town has the most tattoos ) So in a nutshell - women with tattoos are thought of as chavvy.
But I’m sure if you live in Brighton every other women in the street has them, depends where you live I guess.

TerriBull Mon 09-Mar-20 08:20:27

In my mind, I've often thought that too OP. I wouldn't necessarily say it to anyone, although I did have a few choice words, we both did, to our son when he got a couple on his arms and asked us both what we thought our response wasn't complimentary. My late mother would have had ten pink fits if she'd known, "low class" is how she described tattoos, I did explain to her at one time they were more universal these days and not just the preserve of axe throwing Hell's Angels. It's a subject that will always divide, pieces of art they may well be, but why would anyone want an indelible image on your actual body, it doesn't enhance it in any way, the body if you are young and toned will always look better au naturel, and if you aren't, then they somehow draw attention to the inevitable sagging and acquired weight, making it look so much worse. To me they just look dirty and with evening wear awful. It's the pretentious tosh such as "the co-ordinates" of where her children were born - Angelina Jolie, just why would anyone need such arbitrary information on their back???? or some rubbish in Sanskrit............ who is well versed in such an ancient language confused The state of Beckham's hands these days, urbane man image he may be trying to cultivate, but with those paws and copious amounts of them everywhere else, he just looks like some grizzled individual who operates the dodgems at a travelling fair. I know there's always the inevitable "this means something to me" said son had the first one done to remember his late brother by, but I don't get that either, sorry, you will always carry special people in your heart without having meaningless dedications to them inscribed on your body.

Having said all that I don't put the cultural tattoos of say Maoris in the same category.

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 08:31:04

Very good post TerriBull (I especially liked the bit about Beckham looking as if he should be operating the dodgems)
grin

Auntieflo Mon 09-Mar-20 08:40:12

I have a tattoo.

A very tiny one, done to target my radiotherapy treatment.

I didn't choose to have one, it was done to help save my life.

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 08:43:46

Completely different scenario though Auntyflo ( hope you are fully recovered now.)