Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tattoos Look Scummy

(60 Posts)
granniechrissie Sun 08-Mar-20 20:23:37

AIBU to think most tattoos look scummy. I think tattoos look really scummy and I think most people agree but I just to afraid to agree.

FlexibleFriend Sun 08-Mar-20 20:31:01

I don't agree and no I don't have any but then again I'm not judgmental.

aggie Sun 08-Mar-20 20:38:37

No , I don't think they are , some are overdone , but that is the wearers choice . I do'nt have any but that is more out of not liking pain !

GagaJo Sun 08-Mar-20 20:41:40

I don't like them. But I don't care if others have them. Not my body, not my choice.

HOWEVER, I do think people that have facial or neck tattoos are making life hard for themselves.

Txquiltz Sun 08-Mar-20 20:42:09

I am trying to develop more acceptance for them. I think in the young, they signify rebellion....remember we rebelled to with mini skirts (for shame!) ☺️ It is much harder to accept adults with faces, necks and arms obliterated by them. I am very tolerant if it is a military insignia (not sure why). A 60 year old getting a tulip on the wrist I cannot understand. When I find I am being too judgmental, I just think how silly and ugly a tattoo becomes with age.

Grannybags Sun 08-Mar-20 20:43:19

I don't have any either but I don't agree. I appreciate the work that goes into them. Some of them truly are works of art!

Calendargirl Sun 08-Mar-20 20:44:14

Yes, I think they look awful. Dirty, scummy, common, but we’ve had threads on this before. I know lots don’t agree with me, but each to their own.

boheminan Sun 08-Mar-20 20:49:14

Oh no! Not this againhmm this subject always brings out the nastiest face of GN

Missfoodlove Sun 08-Mar-20 20:51:55

Some are what are known as “job stoppers” on the hands face and neck.
I really dislike them.

I wore platform shoes and flares as a 14 year old, when my daughter saw a picture of me in this garb she had a lot to say!!!
I responded by telling her that I didn’t have to don those clothes for more than a few months, the tattoo on her back is there forever.
She is now so sorry she had it done as an 18 year old student.
She totally understands the analogy now.

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 21:10:21

Does that mean you have tattoos Boheminan then?
I dislike tattoos, but it’s a personal thing, and if any more than the random single tattoo on a person, it becomes a bit odd looking.
Why do footballers/Celebrities/ Anyone else have whole armfuls and legfulls of them, I mean why??
Anyone who has neck and face tattoos either works in a tattoo parlour or behind the scenes at Argos presumably, which other employers would want them.

NanaandGrampy Sun 08-Mar-20 21:15:15

‘Scummy’ ???

I’m not a huge fan but I don’t think they look ‘scummy’.

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 21:19:57

I don’t know what scummy means either.

boheminan Sun 08-Mar-20 21:29:12

From memory I'd say this is the 5th thread on this subject - it's boring. All previous ones have ended up vindictive - although my being scummy is a new concept to me.
Yes, I do have 4 tattoos - but I'm not a murderess, I'm kind to animals, hurt no one, never wear beige and I can laugh at myself. I'm in my 70's, and my tattoos are of my own design, all mean something personal to me, none are wrinkly or disfigured - and none are actually on show - so the general offense, vapourising and pearl clutching that the subject always brings on here is hardly fitting.

I'll leave the room for you all to shoot me in the back.

lemongrove Sun 08-Mar-20 21:35:20

Why would we boheminan ? It’s just our own take on the subject, there’s bound to be those who love them/those who
Dislike them etc but I can’t see anyone on GN attacking you personally because you choose to have them, but nor does it make those who dislike them ‘pearl clutchers’ either.

Tangerine Sun 08-Mar-20 21:37:49

Some tattoos are like works of art. The people who put the tattoos on people must be very talented.

I don't like to see them on people's neck or faces because I think it can make it hard to get jobs. However, that is a personal view and it is up to people what they do.

I wouldn't mind having one if it only lasted perhaps a year or two. The thing is they are permanent and it's awkward if you change your mind.

Each to their own.

etheltbags1 Sun 08-Mar-20 21:41:09

I understand it is illegal to refuse someone employment because of a tattoo. Why should they, I don't have one but some look artistic. My late mil once said you can tell who lives on a council estate because the women all have tattoos ans multiple kids. So prdjudiced

Doodledog Sun 08-Mar-20 21:48:15

Why do you ask if you are being unreasonable, granniechrissie? Do you think you are unreasonable?

Also, why would people be afraid to agree with you, and how do you know what 'most people' think?

Or are you trying to stir up trouble?

rosenoir Sun 08-Mar-20 21:51:43

I have 3 and my nephew has been a successful tatoo artist for 10 years.

Old skin is unattractive with or without tatoos.

Tangerine Sun 08-Mar-20 21:52:45

Yes, etheltbags!, I think you're right. It is very likely illegal to refuse someone employment because of a tattoo.

The trouble is it is often difficult to prove why someone refused you employment. Lots of people are refused employment for lots of wrong reasons and I suspect having visible tattoos could be one reason.

Tangerine Sun 08-Mar-20 21:53:25

Sorry, etheltbags1, I wrote your name wrongly in my last post.

Scentia Sun 08-Mar-20 21:53:51

I think you are entitled to your opinion, but as someone who loves tattoos and has more than a few. I cannot say your statement is reasonable, no!

Lucca Sun 08-Mar-20 21:59:30

“ Dirty, scummy, common”. Common?? Can’t believe I am seeing this word used in 2020. My other would bet let me wear knee length white socks as they were “common” a snobbish concept in 1955 and so much worse now. I don’t personally like tattoos but my DIL has them and is a delightful human being.

JuliaM Sun 08-Mar-20 22:01:17

No, l dont have any body art or piercings myself, other than the usual ear piercings for a pair of pretty earings, which l had done when l was 15. As Nurse, l worked a stint in the local skin graft clinic of our NHS hospital, and one of the consultants there used to remove Tatooes by shaving off the layer of inked skin in the same way as skin was harvested for a skin graft, it was the only way to get rid of the inking. This did leave some nasty scars and was very sore whilst it healed. What a lot of people dont realise is that their designs and expensive intricate pictures they choose to adorn their bodies with, will one day become a wrinkled blurr as their skin ages and looses its elasticity in later years, they are then stuck with this mess for good, especially with things like full sleeve art that is simply far to larger area of skin to remove safely.

Fran3669 Sun 08-Mar-20 22:02:37

Yes, you are being unreasonable or, of course, you could just be undeniably ignorant and prejudiced against people who choose to express themselves via a different medium than would be your first choice.

Some tattoos are works of art; I have a client who is a tattoo artist and she has artists in residence at her studio. It doesn’t mean I’m going to get one but I can appreciate the beauty of the designs.

Scummy? Possibly.
Misguided? Possibly.
The wearer’s choice? Absolutely.

I would sooner be considered ‘scummy’ than ‘judgemental’.

Summerlove Sun 08-Mar-20 22:02:44

I don’t agree, and am not afraid to say so