Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tattoos Look Scummy

(61 Posts)
granniechrissie Sun 08-Mar-20 20:23:37

AIBU to think most tattoos look scummy. I think tattoos look really scummy and I think most people agree but I just to afraid to agree.

TerriBull Mon 09-Mar-20 08:52:28

Yes I agree LG, completely different. I remember being in Israel over 30 years ago and sitting at a beach cafe where some elderly people were at an adjacent table, we couldn't help notice their tattooed numbers, survivors! an all too shocking reminder of the terrible days they'd been forced to live through.

Lucca Mon 09-Mar-20 08:59:26

Auntieflo me too ?

And I’m sad to see snobbery is still thriving

Yennifer Mon 09-Mar-20 09:03:25

Scummy is a horrible word to call someone just for having a tattoo!

Auntieflo Mon 09-Mar-20 09:12:12

Lucca hope you are well.

I know it's a different scenario Lemongrove, but I only posted because it all comes under the same heading of Tattooes. (Sp?)

lemongrove Mon 09-Mar-20 09:12:44

There is a world of difference between choosing to have a tattoo ( a pretty motif) and being covered in them as lots of
Footballers/ celebrities seem to do, resulting in them looking like ‘the illustrated man’.

Oldwoman70 Mon 09-Mar-20 09:20:03

Isn't it down to personal choice? I don't have tattoos and never wanted them, my closest friend had several - that didn't make her "scummy".

I once asked her if she thought she would one day regret having them done - her reply was why would she regret a time she had the cash to do what she wanted.

Lucca Mon 09-Mar-20 09:21:20

Auntieflo thank you yes I am well thank you ?

Lucca Mon 09-Mar-20 09:28:23

Oops overload on the thank you

henetha Mon 09-Mar-20 10:13:02

It depends. Some tattoos are pretty, or artistic, or cleverly done. I'm not mad on fierce looking ones on the face or neck,
but even so would not describe them as scummy.
It's a matter of personal choice. Each to his own.

TerriBull Mon 09-Mar-20 10:48:59

I always remember words of wisdom from Ozzie Osborne, in that fly on the wall series his family did quite a while ago. Ozzie, being the bona fide quintessential heavy man of rock, and covered in them, advising the young teenage Kelly who wanted, and did go on to have loads herself "if you want to be really different don't have any" words of wisdom, there is simply nothing edgy or different in a time when every other man and his dog has one!

Okay so maybe one or two tucked away somewhere is no big deal. Can never understand why someone puts a huge one on their back, expensive I believe, and you don't get to see it [confused I] know someone who did that and the back became inflamed and his wife complained about the inking staining their white sheets shock he was a 50 something professional man at the time, the tattoo wasn't anything that resonated with his life, just some random giant eagle. A mid life crisis quite likely, when his kids got to late teens he asked them to stop calling him dad, too ageing apparently, first name only, a severe case of pretentious moi! David Dimbleby got over the mid life thing and then was struck down by "an old life crisis", still maybe he had the QT initials woven into his somewhere just to remind him lest he should forget what he once did for a living hmm