Gransnet forums

AIBU

Please settle this very silly difference of opinion

(84 Posts)
amberdogxK9 Sun 15-Mar-20 14:00:42

I’m 70 in December 2020.
My husband ( quite confidently) says I’m in my 70th year now and that this is the norm. ?
I say I’m not as I’m in my 69th .
I agree I will be in my 70th year this December - God willing . I’m not touchy about age btw .
He’s 74 now and will be 75 in November and thinks he’s in his 75 th year presumably . I’ve had to drop the subject as it’s so petty . Any guidance O wise sybils of Gransnet ? He won’t argue with you .

POGS Tue 17-Mar-20 17:57:01

Hang on I thought this was is a light hearted thread.

I saw no poster deserving to be called ignorant. Certainly when that poster used emojis to show light hearted banter.

It's just a difference of opinion and hardly discussing life or death.

MerylStreep Tue 17-Mar-20 18:34:58

The Chinese start you at 1 on the day your born.

Bathsheba Tue 17-Mar-20 18:59:26

I agree POGS, using the word 'ignorant' was perhaps a little unnecessary. But actually anno referred to Gabriella's post as ignorant, not Gabriella herself wink

I have to say that I agree with anno's view though in general - you are, of course, in your first year from birth to one, in your second year from your 1st birthday until your second and so on, until at 69, you are in your 70th year, but not yet in your 70s of course.

GreenGran78 Wed 18-Mar-20 17:21:24

Amber, you certainly stirred things up among the GNs, and got us off the subject of (you know what)

I wouldn't give DH the satisfaction of telling him that he is right Just quietly drop the subject smile

Daisydoes Thu 19-Mar-20 17:31:02

And this is the reason people don't post on even light hearted posts.

'ignorant'?

Totally unnecessary.

And I still reckon you are in your 69th year?

i know you aren't, but I don't care ?

Tooting29 Thu 19-Mar-20 20:05:05

DH is right. When you are born you are in your first year until 1st birthday and then you enter your 2nd year as so it goes on

Namsnanny Fri 20-Mar-20 01:54:45

amberdogK9 ….hasn't been back so I'm wondering if she's accepted her husband was right, and gawn off in a huff.

Or she is watching from the side lines, chuckling at how clever she is, setting up a thread that has happily chugged along for two pages and looking like it still has life in it yet! smile

Any other ideas to keep us occupied amberdogK9 through this strange time?

absent Fri 20-Mar-20 03:03:40

This is the same issue some people had with the millennium. There was no year zero. So if you start from year one and work through all the centuries, the last year of the twentieth century was 2000 and the first year of the twenty-first century was 2001.