Gransnet forums

AIBU

Now I'm CROSS!

(98 Posts)
Craftycat Wed 18-Mar-20 13:00:28

What is the matter with people these days? Does no-one think about others at all?
I went into Sainsbury's this morning to get some shopping for an elderly couple in our road who have been told to stay indoors. Most of the shelves were empty. No eggs,fish, meat, pizza, pasta, loo rolls & plenty more.
I was in Morrisons on Sunday & the queues were up to the door for the checkouts. I put my 3 items (cat food) back & went over the road to Waitrose where it was absolutely fine.
Do people not CARE that by bulk buying they are stopping other people to eat? All the big supermarkets have gone on record as saying they have plenty of stock but it still has to be delivered to the shops for us to be able to buy it.
I know that they are now stopping people from bulk buying but an assistant in Sainsbury's told me they have been threatened when they have tried to stop it.
I did manage to get most of what my neighbours wanted by going to another shop as well & I had a couple of bits in my own larder that I gave them too so they will be OK for a few days but really I do despair at the attitude of some people.
I was brought up being told by my grandparents that during the war everyone looked after each other- where have we gone wrong?

rubysong Wed 18-Mar-20 19:09:13

I can't understand the run on hand sanitizer. Unless it is an alcohol based anti viral product there is no point. In any case you are better with soap and water.

tickingbird Wed 18-Mar-20 19:09:21

Too scared to stop people bulk buying.? Hire more security then.

tickingbird Wed 18-Mar-20 19:12:43

Lots of these selfish swines will be profiteering and selling stuff on. They make me sick.

endlessstrife Wed 18-Mar-20 19:13:45

Everywhere looks like it’s been burgled where I live! Even the corner shops. People who buy in bulk haven’t thought it through. Whilst their “ stock”, is sitting gathering dust, someone else can’t wash their hands. It may be the latter ends up infecting the former.

nanny2507 Wed 18-Mar-20 19:17:11

it probably wont help but some chemists sell baby milk x

phoenix Wed 18-Mar-20 19:56:58

Couldn't get liquid soap when out today.

We don't have any "spares"in the cupboard, but will just have to empty half of the bathroom one into the downstairs loo one.

rosenoir Wed 18-Mar-20 20:10:46

I topped up my liquid soap with body wash which I had a lot of from christmas gift sets.

SirChenjin Wed 18-Mar-20 20:54:40

Washing up liquid works just as well if you’ve run out of soap - it’s any form of detergent plus the mechanical action of washing that gets rid of the virus

sassenach512 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:26:19

I heard that somewhere too SirChenjin apparently the covid virus has a fat layer surrounding the cell which washing up liquid can destroy as it contains a degreasing chemical in it, so it's a good stand by if you're caught short

Chewbacca Wed 18-Mar-20 21:38:21

Between 07.00 - 08.00 was supposed to be for over 70s only at Sainsbury's this morning but I was there at 07.05 and the shop was heaving with people of all ages. Even at that time, there were no cleaning products, no washing up liquid, no rice, pasta or tinned vegetables. Even the fresh vegetables were very limited but that was possibly thanks to the chap with a trolley loaded with bags of fresh carrots, potatoes, onions and fruit. I'd wondered what on earth he was going to do with it but apparently, freezers are now in short supply too.

whywhywhy Wed 18-Mar-20 21:42:23

I'm using Christmas gift sets for soap.

callgirl1 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:55:38

Nanny2507, my daughter rang a small chemist on the edge of town, they had 1 tin left, agreed to put it aside for her to collect after work.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 22:04:03

What are people meant to do? We all face the problem of possible having to go into total seclusion for a fortnight at a moments notice. We need to have enough food and the right mix of food to cover that eventuality.

I certainly haven't been bulk buying loo paper, but yes, I have a couple of extra bottles of handwash, some tinned fruit, extra tomatoes (4 tins) and would have a couple of extra tins of mixed beans in water, if I could find any.

I am merely making sure that we can have a healthy diet, so important now, and deal with every eventuality that may reasonably affect us in the next three months.

As I said, what are people meant to do?

grannyactivist Wed 18-Mar-20 22:13:07

Today my husband did some shopping for one of my clients and seeing that there was plenty of loo roll he bought a (big) bag so that we can split it between all of my clients.

A couple of hours later I got a call from the sister of one of the men I support. She has a young family at home and works full time in a busy hospital 120 miles from her very elderly ill and frail parents and her older brother who needs additional help - the poor woman is completely frazzled. In conversation about how we could help I mentioned to her that we would get her brother some food shopping and basic household staples, such as toilet rolls. She was completely shocked when I said we bought toilet rolls today, and told me that the toilets in her hospital have NO toilet paper!

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 22:39:41

Well, that is either bad planning by the hospital or patients and their visitors are stealing them.

gillybob Wed 18-Mar-20 22:44:38

It’s making me so angry that older people are buying baby milk for themselves.

Chewbacca Wed 18-Mar-20 22:54:28

Eh gillybob? Older people are buying baby milk formula for themselves? Whatever for? Giving them the benefit of the doubt; could it be that they're getting it for their family's babies?

gillybob Wed 18-Mar-20 22:57:33

Oh yes chewyi promise you, argument today in Asda . Baby milk has lots of protein and “can keep me going for a few weeks .....and I can use it in my tea as well” .

Bathsheba Wed 18-Mar-20 22:59:23

Would it not be possible to programme supermarket tills to refuse to accept an item if the maximum had been reached? So if you've already scanned two cartons of UHT milk, say, and try to scan a 3rd the screen will say 'You have reached your maximum purchase for this item' and not allow it to be added.

Of course I have no idea if the amount of work involved in programming the tills like this would make this difficult to do - but this is happening with the online ordering system. You simply cannot add more than the proscribed maximum to your basket!

gillybob Wed 18-Mar-20 23:05:53

I said this tonight in Asda Bathsheba I was shopping for my dad and 2 other elderly people in his close .

People with far more than they need but then I couldn’t even get a few basics .

Chewbacca Wed 18-Mar-20 23:14:41

I'm both disgusted and gob smacked gillybob; quite how anyone can literally take the food from a baby's mouth is staggeringly shocking. Id lije to think thatbtheyll feel some shame but i doubt it.

In regards to reaching maximum number of items in supermarkets, there was an incident today in one of our Tesco stores. 2 middle aged men tried to get 5 restricted items through this afternoon but they were told by the assistants that they could only take 3, as per the notices on each shelf. After much shouting and swearing at the young female assistant, the security guard was called and he ended up getting thumped by one of the men. Police were called and arrests made. And I think that this is only the beginning. How long will it be before the first super market heist or looting I wonder?

Chewbacca Wed 18-Mar-20 23:16:09

Id lije to think thatbtheyll

I'd like to think that they'll feel some shame

note to self: proof read before posting

gillybob Wed 18-Mar-20 23:21:12

I don’t know chewy? I really don’t . I was shopping tonight for my dad and a couple of elderly people in his little close . There was very little to be had , not even any eggs or milk on Asda’s shelves.

We have a couple of blue paper rolls (think engineering grease) at work that I will take round tomorrow . I’m in despair. I really am.

sassenach512 Wed 18-Mar-20 23:51:19

I suppose we should be grateful we don't have guns in this country Chewbacca they're queuing to get them in the US, imagine confronting someone taking too many tins of beans and they pull a gun on you shock

Sallywally1 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:33:57

Yes why has it taken them so long to introduce rationing. This mentality is the same in the GP surgery I work in. Patients are ringing up for repeat medication even though they are not due. This means there will be a shortage of medications for everyone else.