Gransnet forums

AIBU

Now I'm CROSS!

(97 Posts)
Craftycat Wed 18-Mar-20 13:00:28

What is the matter with people these days? Does no-one think about others at all?
I went into Sainsbury's this morning to get some shopping for an elderly couple in our road who have been told to stay indoors. Most of the shelves were empty. No eggs,fish, meat, pizza, pasta, loo rolls & plenty more.
I was in Morrisons on Sunday & the queues were up to the door for the checkouts. I put my 3 items (cat food) back & went over the road to Waitrose where it was absolutely fine.
Do people not CARE that by bulk buying they are stopping other people to eat? All the big supermarkets have gone on record as saying they have plenty of stock but it still has to be delivered to the shops for us to be able to buy it.
I know that they are now stopping people from bulk buying but an assistant in Sainsbury's told me they have been threatened when they have tried to stop it.
I did manage to get most of what my neighbours wanted by going to another shop as well & I had a couple of bits in my own larder that I gave them too so they will be OK for a few days but really I do despair at the attitude of some people.
I was brought up being told by my grandparents that during the war everyone looked after each other- where have we gone wrong?

Summerlove Wed 18-Mar-20 13:05:04

At this point I’m not sure how much of it is bug buying, so much as everybody is shopping at once trying to prepare to be isolated for two weeks at a time. People are scared.

If there’s only one of something left, people aren’t going to leave it for somebody else, they are going to take it if they need it.

Perhaps however I am being far too kind to the general population

cornergran Wed 18-Mar-20 13:07:55

Sainsbury is interesting. All the supermarkets are represented here and it has been Sainsbury that seems to have been most impacted. Empty shelves when others have been reasonably stocked. No idea why.

SirChenjin Wed 18-Mar-20 13:18:23

Email from Sainsburys this morning - they're making big changes to the online and click and collect services, shutting instore bakery, fish and pizza counters and the cafes, and the number of items you can buy of anything will be restricted, so 3 for most things and 2 for the things that are experiencing shortages.

grannysue05 Wed 18-Mar-20 13:21:43

I know what you mean craftycat. We have experienced this also. It shows just how selfish society has become. The me/me attitude will come out now as people strive/fight for essential items. The start of breakdown in society as you see in films.

However, I believe in the inherent goodness of a lot of folk, and hopefully this much healthier attitude will prevail.

We have to keep believing that all this will pass. And that we will survive.

ninathenana Wed 18-Mar-20 13:47:16

Not just Sainsbury's that is limiting how much of each item you can buy. Aldi and Tesco are too.
Unfortunately these measures should have been brought in sooner.

Witzend Wed 18-Mar-20 13:54:20

Smaller shops may be a good bet. I nipped into a little shop near my dentist earlier (just had a filling replaced) and shelves were well stocked - they even had loo roll!

gillybob Wed 18-Mar-20 14:05:19

I (and some others) watched in complete shock as one woman took 3 shelves of a cage of fresh milk and swiped them into her trolley . An elderly man and a young woman challenged her and they both got a mouthful of abuse. She went through the self serve checkout completely unchallenged. No point in the shops saying they are limiting bulk purchasing if they are not willing to stop it.

ValerieF Wed 18-Mar-20 14:56:18

I witnessed really bad behaviour today too from customer at a local Tesco. The poor shop assistant was left shaking and she was only trying to do her job and be fair to other customers. I hope these people feel shame! There wouldn't BE empty shelves if people didn't panic so much. Many people simply can't afford to buy in bulk and the ones who do probably have no immediate need for it anyway. Disgraceful

Floradora9 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:24:53

a fiend had her toilet rolls stolen from her trolley . There were no more.

lemongrove Wed 18-Mar-20 15:35:35

ninathenana good post, yes the supermarkets should have restricted goods earlier.Things will ease when there is rationing and they have stocked up again.
We hope!

tinaf1 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:43:13

Assistant in local Tesco last week told me that when she tried to limit one customer from buying 10:bags of rice ? he turned round and told her he hoped she caught the Coronorvirus! Nice
Also heard from my brother that lady in his street under 70 and very fit is going to make use of neighbors offer of getting shopping so she doesn’t loose her parking spot in her road ,
Some people do beggar belief

Greyduster Wed 18-Mar-20 15:44:24

Sounds like the supermarkets need to step up their security if people are using abuse and strong arm tactics. Absolutely disgraceful.

AGAA4 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:45:47

I heard that the 24 hour Tescos are going to close 10pm - 6am to restock. A good idea if this is right

Fiachna50 Wed 18-Mar-20 16:01:45

Craftycat, same where I am. Our local Foodbank put out an appeal for certain items. I cannot find any on the list anywhere. I have also heard that people were helping themselves to Foodbank donations. How low can you go? Our local Asda and M&S had plenty milk, bread and fresh items. A manager in B and M was telling me they had put out pallets of tinned beans at 9.30am and they were gone in half an hour. He said don't even mention toilet roll. My eldest is taking two toilet rolls into work. A colleague was down to her last and could not buy any anywhere. We keep hearing there are no food shortages, then where is it? Ive had no hand gel available for over one month, I did manage to get some bar soap. The panic buying needed stopping way back at the very beginning. Now, nobody can get anything and I suspect alot of it is going online to be sold or into shops to be sold at extortionate prices. During WW2 you would get the jail for racketeering, and rightly so in my opinion. No thought given to young parents with children, elderly or disabled people. I also think some of these people are going round different shops by car. Where on earth are folk storing all this food/toilet roll? I have a few extras but nowhere near what I see other folk buying.

EllanVannin Wed 18-Mar-20 16:11:55

Give the small shops a chance, they seem pretty stocked if people are that desperate. They might be dearer but it's as broad as it's long when people are prepared to shell out for hundreds of toilet rolls and tinned foods.
Makes you wonder if they're for resale at a higher price !!

Willow500 Wed 18-Mar-20 17:28:50

My DIL works for a local Tescos - she was texting me this morning saying how disgusted and upset she was at the behaviour of some of the customers in the store - she said it had been trashed as people panic bought so much stuff. The latest was salt!! FGS why - are people believing the rubbish about gargling with salt cures COVID-19? Baby milk powder and nappies - a friend's daughter who has just had a baby was unable to buy the newborn formula! My youngest GD works in the big store in the same town and it's the same there.

I have had e-mails from all the main supermarkets as well as BM Stores all giving the same message that there is plenty of stock if people just buy what they need but it seems it's not getting through to some angry

I don't understand the mentality of someone buying bulk loads of milk - where do they store it - I can only get one 4 pint bottle in my fridge! I couldn't get any yesterday either hmm

phoenix Wed 18-Mar-20 17:36:10

Just back from trying to do a "normal" mid week shop.

No fresh chicken thighs or breasts, no mince, toilet rolls, ha! Kitchen rolls the same (expect lots of blocked drains).

They did have notices in place, restricting some goods (tinned food, pasta) to 4 items per person. I only needed 2 tins of tomatoes, so that is all I bought.

The cashier told me that they had fully stocked shelves when they opened.............

callgirl1 Wed 18-Mar-20 18:00:08

I`ve just had an email from Tesco, outlining the new rules about bulk buying, no more than 3 of anything per customer, but there`s nothing to get 3 of if reports are anything to go by. My grandson and his fiancee are getting worried, they only have enough baby milk powder for 1 more week for Grace, and can`t find it anywhere. Asked at the doctor`s surgery, were told "Amazon", but apparently it`s an outrageous and impossible price on there.
I`ve just checked through my online order for this Friday, they`ve crossed off bleach, washing up liquid and kitchen roll, plus the chocolates my daughter wanted, but I think she`ll live without them. Oh, and Mia`s catfood is unavailable in her favourite flavours, hopefully she`ll stoop to eat a different sort!!

SirChenjin Wed 18-Mar-20 18:22:49

A relative works for Tesco and despite the advertised restrictions customers are taking umbrage at the fact they can’t buy eleventy billion loo rolls (relative used a less polite description of them as you can imagine). Who are these people who behave this way??

CraftyGranny Wed 18-Mar-20 18:26:37

Fiachna50, go onto Ebay and search hand gel and toilet paper, I saw a 30ml bottle of hand gel for £49, but they are offering free delivery!

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-20 18:37:16

It may not matter too much to our membership, but the latest news from younger females in the family is that there's a shortage of 'sanitary products'. Just how low can you sink?

Patsy70 Wed 18-Mar-20 18:44:25

My granddaughter, now in 6th form, works for Tesco some evenings/weekends and a huge delivery of hand sanitisers disappeared in 15 mins. I did a normal weekly shop in Lidl on Monday, where it was very civilized and nobody appeared to be buying in large quantities. As we are now prohibited from going out, I will try online shopping, but Tesco have no slots available for the next few weeks! Looks like I'll have to ask my children, who have offered their services and live nearby, when we run out of stuff.

SueDonim Wed 18-Mar-20 19:04:31

I didn’t go to a supermarket today but I went to the ironmonger for a battery and they had loo rolls and disposable gloves in stock. The little petrol station had milk and vegetables in their shop so they’re both worth trying.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 18-Mar-20 19:08:04

I am doing my neighbours’ shopping and felt obliged to explain why I had bought two of most items.