Gransnet forums

AIBU

Now I'm CROSS!

(98 Posts)
Craftycat Wed 18-Mar-20 13:00:28

What is the matter with people these days? Does no-one think about others at all?
I went into Sainsbury's this morning to get some shopping for an elderly couple in our road who have been told to stay indoors. Most of the shelves were empty. No eggs,fish, meat, pizza, pasta, loo rolls & plenty more.
I was in Morrisons on Sunday & the queues were up to the door for the checkouts. I put my 3 items (cat food) back & went over the road to Waitrose where it was absolutely fine.
Do people not CARE that by bulk buying they are stopping other people to eat? All the big supermarkets have gone on record as saying they have plenty of stock but it still has to be delivered to the shops for us to be able to buy it.
I know that they are now stopping people from bulk buying but an assistant in Sainsbury's told me they have been threatened when they have tried to stop it.
I did manage to get most of what my neighbours wanted by going to another shop as well & I had a couple of bits in my own larder that I gave them too so they will be OK for a few days but really I do despair at the attitude of some people.
I was brought up being told by my grandparents that during the war everyone looked after each other- where have we gone wrong?

varian Fri 20-Mar-20 19:28:52

It is not just a Sun article. If you are over 70 and are not self isolating you are being selfish and irresponsible and putting yourself and others at risk.

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-over-70s-will-be-asked-to-self-isolate-potentially-for-months-11957770

annep1 Fri 20-Mar-20 19:45:55

Restrictions are not enough. People just make more trips to the shops.
Rationing is needed.

Pennypie Fri 20-Mar-20 20:10:27

Hi Varian,

Your link is to a sky article, which is 5 days old and is not the government's official guideline which currently is that over 70s should social distance.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

It doesn't affect me as I am under 70, but I feel it is important that people are aware of the current situation; things are scary enough as it is.

Pennypie Fri 20-Mar-20 20:16:12

With regards to the op, our Tesco delivery arrived this morning and the driver said a lot of the bulk buying has been carried out by people, to sell on at a profit, which is unbelievably disgusting.

M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 21:12:20

The extreme ransacking of supermarkets seemed to be limited to big cities. In the quite highly populated area I live in - South Oxfordshire - supermarkets are cleared out of some items like loo paper, baked beans and tinned tomatoes, but there are not the huge hordes descending like locusts that you see on television.

Anyway, in a week or two, the credit card bills for all this overstocking will come in and all of a sudden people will stop shopping and starting eating and using their stockpile.

Pennypie thanks for the reference to the government document. I always understood that over-70s had to socially distance but quite a few people on GN are convinced that social isolation is required. I was actually beginning to feel a bit defensive I was doing exactly what was required of us.

Mind you social distancing becomes easier as every day goes by. Every single organisation I am involved with has cancelled all activities until the Autumn and their staff are working from home. What was a very full diary is absolutely empty. Holidays are cancelled, social engagements postponed. Now all pubs, reaturants, sports centres and everything else are closed. I am glad we grabbed the chance to have one last meal out, this lunch time. It will be a long time before we eat out again.

Summerlove Fri 20-Mar-20 21:52:15

It doesn't affect me as I am under 70, but I feel it is important that people are aware of the current situation; things are scary enough as it is.

It does affect you.

Everyone of every age should be social distancing.

The attitude in the U.K. by so many beggars belief.

Other countries with fewer cases are doing more.

Saying that guidelines don’t start til x date will not save people. Covid-19 doesn’t follow govt guidelines on distancing.

Pennypie Fri 20-Mar-20 22:14:18

Hi Summerlove,

I totally agree everyone should social distance, and I absolutely have been practicing this myself, even though 1 am under 70.

Self isolating, however, is a different matter, and is only required for those who have symptoms, or who live with someone with symptoms.

There is a big difference between "social distancing" and "self isolating".

The BBC has an excellent article explaining this difference:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729

Summerlove Fri 20-Mar-20 22:52:22

I understand the difference between the two, thank you.

The reason things are being forced to shut down is because enough people were not social distancing.

“If the pub is open, I’m going” attitude.

Too many people waiting for guidelines to start will have made this worse.

Summerlove Fri 20-Mar-20 22:54:07

Also, it’s not only the over 70s who should socially distance.

It’s literally everyone.

Pennypie Fri 20-Mar-20 23:18:48

"Also, it’s not only the over 70s who should socially distance.

It’s literally everyone"

Exactly, I totally agree.

But people over 70 do not have to "self isolate" unless they have symptoms, or live with someone with symptoms.
People are being told on this thread that they should "self isolate" if they are over 70, and this is incorrect.
"Social distancing" is what we should all be doing, regardless of age.

Summerlove Fri 20-Mar-20 23:42:21

Did I say they have to self isolate? If so, I don’t remember

My point was that Monday is a false deadline. People doing what they wish until then is foolish.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 08:21:24

Summerlove it is not just 'people doing what they wish'. It is people setting themselves up for the three months restrictions so that they can follow them closely.

Our day for restriction was based on the fact that my car was booked in yesterday morning for a safety-based recall. The nearest main dealer is over 20 miles away and the job took two hours so we knew we would be going into the local town to look round the shops (and buy curtain fabric) t while away the two hour + wait and would have a last lunch out, in what proved to be a nearly empty pub.

We will be going out for a drive each week in our cars to ensure they stay operational and our driving capacity is not impaired by a long lay-off. I want to be driving in a safe car.

We have used the time available this week to plan the garden and buy seeds and other garden sundries from the garden centre, decorating and DIY materials and the curtain fabric.

The reason we were given a weeks grace before the restrictions really bit was to enable people to plan their withdrawal and set themselves up ready to keep busy and mentally well over the next three months.

Classic Sat 21-Mar-20 11:23:26

Everyone is being nasty to people with more than a basket full of shopping. But think about it, imagine you have 4/5 kids, or elderly or sick family or neighbours. You want to get as much of your normal 2 weeks worth of shopping, and you dont want to come back later when the kids are off school. So you have a large trolley full, and people are staring at you, making nasty comments and the checkout girl is refusing to sell you items. Not every one with a full trolley is hoarding or bulk buying. Please would people stop and think before being nasty to those with a large trolley.

henetha Sat 21-Mar-20 11:34:50

I can't find eggs anywhere at the moment. How can people stockpile eggs with their limited shelf life? It's madness.

prestbury Sat 21-Mar-20 17:14:12

The main stream supermarkets may be constantly running out of stocks, caused by panic buying but there are alternatives.

My small market town has had the likes of Tesco, Aldi, Morrisons et al ransacked by panic buying. People on local facebook groups bemoaning the fact that they cannot buy staples such as bread.

I would suggest that people start using the small shops within the towns, bakers, butchers and greengrocers who in the main are well stocked and although products may not be as cheap as a supermarket they are generally better quality.

I went into a small bakery at around midday last Wednesday for two unsliced loaves, commented how quiet the shop was considering the shelves were full of freshly baked products. The assistant said that they had very few people through the door and were considering baking less and opening for shorter hours. The deli and cake shop next door was also empty. Why are these types of town centre shops not be used as much at the moment?

In answer to henetha if possible for items such as eggs, consider giving your business to local farmers if there are any in your area. In my area farmers and small holders are pleading with the public to buy their eggs as their normal avenues of pubs and restaurents etc are no longer and they cannot stop hens laying.

Summerlove Sat 21-Mar-20 18:32:05

But given a weeks grace period means nothing to the virus.

A virus doesn’t know there is a grace period.

Most places going on lock down do so immediately, without grace period.

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 19:36:06

Well, it is all academic as far as we are concerned we are now doing all the things that are strongly advised, or strongly advised against for the over 70s as stated in the Guidance on social distancing for everyone in the UK published by Public Health England and last updated yesterday.

It is a document I will be consulting every evening to see if any upgrades have been published during the day. With that as my guide, I have no interest in anyone elses interpretation of what we are meant to be doing.

Summerlove Sat 21-Mar-20 19:43:15

You’ve missed my point I think

M0nica Sat 21-Mar-20 19:50:53

Well we were doing most of them for the last 10 days anyway and all of them as soon as it was practicable to do so. All quite within the rules and the weeks advance warning would not have been given if it was considered to significantly increase the risk of us catching the disease. In this as in most things I look to the government and Public Health England for any advice I need - and heed it.

pensionpat Sat 21-Mar-20 21:01:59

We are self-isolating and enjoying it. It is only Day 2 though! I have been a little worried about fresh things - milk, bread, fruit. My son said he would get things for us, but I don’t want to be a nuisance. And they may need to self-isolate at some point. Today I found a solution. I’ve arranged to have a milkman. So if necessary we can take things to them, leaving the bags outside of course.

Summerlove Sat 21-Mar-20 21:03:02

It’s not just about “catching” it. It’s about spreading it.

Summerlove Sat 21-Mar-20 21:03:36

Photo didn’t load