Gransnet forums

AIBU

B&Q staying open

(34 Posts)
Washerwoman Tue 24-Mar-20 13:51:25

Ok I get that essential plumbing and electrical parts still need to be available but a friends relative works in B&Q and says it's been mental.Everyone buying paint,DIY materials,plants ,compost etc so they can crack on whilst at home.Stores absolutely packed.But really whilst I'm here st home sticking strictly not seeing our DGC who live around the corner even though they have been keeping apart as a family for days so have to wonder ?Don't get me wrong DH and I will stay home for as long as it takes but surely so many shoppers in theses stores isn't right.It isn't food.It isn't medicine.Surely it should be online only.Or has anyone heard that's what it's going to be.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:24:56

Fortunately Hetty my family all live in isolated areas and are steering well clear of others, that’s what I meant by not being concerned, I was going to offer help to my immediate neighbours, but if they have plenty of family still popping in as usual then I won’t.
I have to protect my own, I was perfectly willing to help, assuming that they would be as careful as I am , but they aren’t.

notanan2 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:27:00

I believe in Italy DIY stores cancelled/stopped all decorative/garden orders to focus on essential DIY like plumbing supplies

notanan2 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:28:30

People ordering paint/wallpaper/garden stuff while THEY cosy up at home are incredibly selfish. Warehouse & delivery workers would like to be reducing THEIR social contact too you know.

notanan2 Tue 24-Mar-20 17:30:02

But there are people stuck with broken doors, cookers, toilets etc who do still need hardware stores.

CanadianGran Tue 24-Mar-20 18:03:01

I would love to be able to do on-line orders for pick up only.
My DH is retired and constantly involved in a project. This week he needed wood stain, a tarp, and some brackets in order to carry on his project.

I went in his stead, use tap to pay so didn't touch anything at the till, and stayed a distance away from cashier. I wish I didn't have to , but he says this project was already underway. This is a tough one. If I had the choice to pick up and pre-pay I would.

notanan2 Tue 24-Mar-20 18:09:08

This week he needed wood stain, a tarp, and some brackets in order to carry on his project.

Unless his project involves getting you somewhere to cook or a toilet to flush, thats not a "need"

notanan2 Tue 24-Mar-20 18:15:18

Nobody needs woodstain. angry

Its not just about you and your trip there and back. Its about the people leaving their families and putting themselves at risk so that emergency supplies are still available.

Woodstain! angry

M0nica Wed 25-Mar-20 09:42:20

Thankfully I live in a fairly law-abiding part of the country.

Taking cycling up as a form of exercise while in quarantine seems a very sensible idea. We have a lot of walkers and cyclers going past our house. Once a day it includes me.