Gransnet forums

AIBU

On first meeting a new Boss/Co worker etc : What you see is what you get !

(32 Posts)
Yorksha Thu 26-Mar-20 09:43:39

I find the ' what you see is what you get' quote as arrogant. They're trying to intimidate you in a way of showing authority. This person isn't nice. And is probably trying to hide feelings of insecurity. I would find it hard to show respect to such a person. Definitely not management material.

CleoPanda Thu 26-Mar-20 09:43:25

I always feel that’s it’s coming from a selfish egotistical type. In other words, “I’m a pretty horrible person but I don’t care and have no intention of changing”. The sort of person who makes you want to run away as quickly as possible.

jaylucy Thu 26-Mar-20 09:31:47

Quite frankly, if someone says that the first time I meet them, they won't be seeing me again!
There seems to be some people that think that supposedly old fashioned values, such as respecting other people's opinions, thinking before you open your mouth and just basically being kind no longer matter to anyone .
In my experience they will often say very spiteful, nasty things about anyone and I often wonder just what has made them so bitter and twisted - as I walk away from them, that is!

MissAdventure Wed 25-Mar-20 17:25:07

I've rarely had a boss who held true to "what you see is what you get". If only!

EllanVannin Wed 25-Mar-20 17:20:38

Defensive I'd say, for want of something to say because of their lack of experience in introductions and how to present themselves.

Gemini17892 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:35:49

In my experience people who say WYSIWYG use it as an excuse to be rude.

Bridgeit Wed 25-Mar-20 16:04:55

What you see is what you get

Why do some folks when first meeting a previously unknown person feel the need to say this
What are they trying to convey?

Also: Take me as you find me
Don’t mess with me
Like it or Lump it

I can never decide if it is assertive , defensive , a threat or arrogance
Example : A new boss introduced himself to me stating ‘ I’m always nice to begin with’ to which I replied ‘ And so am
I was old enough to be his mother , possibly his Granny!