Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC reporting onm Covid

(2 Posts)
Tooting29 Wed 25-Mar-20 18:51:58

Am I being unreasonable in expecting the BBC to report the news in an even handed manner. Since COVID19 I have become increasingly frustrated at news bulletins and Today on radio 4. Whilst I appreciate this is serious I feel the constant questioning of the government actions etc confuses the message to the public and leads to uncertainty and undermines the huge effort that it actually happening. I wish they would act as a public information service which under the BBC charter they are obliged to be in an emergency

Hetty58 Wed 25-Mar-20 19:11:29

I'm all for public information. We could do with simple public information films, as we've had in the past. It seems that many people either don't understand, or choose not to understand, the present rules.

There's a lot of extended family visits going on here (not one person, but whole families) so I suspect the word 'household' is misunderstood to mean 'family' regardless of who lives where.

I do welcome the questioning of government actions, though. They seem to have done too little, too late, to avoid an overwhelming disaster.

I feel that they could have done so much more to limit social contact. The crowds in shops and on the tube are totally unacceptable.

Their delay in support for the self-employed has caused unnecessary working. Their slow response to meeting the needs of the very vulnerable is quite horrifying.

People around here (not me and my family) are confident in ignoring the rules and carrying on as normal. They know there will be little enforcement and very small (£30) fines. They have no respect for the government (I'm in London) and think it's a fuss about nothing. I really do despair!

Just when we urgently need the services of the NHS and police force, we have to face up to the fact that they've been underfunded and run down for over a decade.

Yes, some of us are making a huge effort, others are not. We needed lockdown two or three weeks ago. It's a little late.