Gransnet forums

AIBU

.....to ask people to read the thread?

(60 Posts)
Lucca Mon 30-Mar-20 09:43:08

I don’t understand how people so often post the same thing as has been said many times before! I skipped a page by accident the other day (Pinot Grigio ? Dirty spectacles ?)and marydoll quite rightly pointed out that I was repeating what she had said. But then someone is on that thread again asking for the answer.....grrr! Not to mention the shepherds pie cottage pie thread with 83 identical explanations..... the asking for advice threads where you get “I think you should speak to a solicitor”. And three posts later “have you thought of seeing a solicitor “
Rant over ...

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Mar-20 09:45:07

People often immediately answer a post clearly not having read it but by making assumptions as to what the post said. But I can’t say it bothers me too much.

Marydoll Mon 30-Mar-20 09:45:48

Lucca, I told you that I shared your pain!!

?????

I spent ages uploading the maths puzzle explanation and most people ignored it and came back with random answers.

gillybob Mon 30-Mar-20 09:54:44

Guilty as charged Marydoll . But viewing it on my phone “I couldn’t see that the man was wearing shoes or was carrying sausages .....m’lord” grin

Baggs Mon 30-Mar-20 09:55:26

I think it is unreasonable to expect people to read a thread, especially a long one. Quite often posters are just answering the opening post and aren’t really interested in what everyone else has said. This is perfectly alright as far as I’m concerned.

anniezzz09 Mon 30-Mar-20 09:56:40

Lucca I know what you mean. Once threads run beyond 3 pages, they're not worth continuing with, as you say the posts become repetitive and people seem to spout from their prejudices rather than considerations and then the old guard are there to bolster each other and have in group conversations. One of them will appear now to immediately deny what I've said!! Ha, ha, pinches of salt, regular breaks and a sense of humour are needed. grin

JackyB Mon 30-Mar-20 10:00:55

Again we should at least plead for the OP's posts to be coloured in green, as so many answers come after they have thanked for the advice and updated on the situation.

I agree with Lucca wholeheartedly and hope I haven't been guilty of this "crime". If I have, then sorry.

Lucca Mon 30-Mar-20 10:07:59

Bags....I’d have thought particularly now people have ample time to read the whole thread !!

Lucca Mon 30-Mar-20 10:08:17

Sorry Baggs

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Mar-20 10:21:41

Some people just want to be part of something, ie the thread, or just to chat. It doesn’t bother me at all. People often repeat what I’ve already said and again, it doesn’t matter. If there was a shrug emoticon I’d be using it. smile

I do agree with you, JackyB. All the OP’s posts are highlighted on Mumsnet and it’s so useful. I wonder why it’s not the case here?

Doodledog Mon 30-Mar-20 10:23:48

No, you are NBU. It is my pet hate online. I see online communication as very similar to 'real life', and you (one) can't just butt into a conversation without bothering to listen to what others are saying.

It happens a lot across the Internet, though. Someone goes to the trouble of posting a considered response to a question, and three posts later someone else comes along and ignores it, so they may as well not have bothered. There is no conversation, just a series of statements going round in circles.

I don't understand why it is unreasonable to expect someone to read a thread before replying confused. It's basic manners, as far as I'm concerned.

Sussexborn Mon 30-Mar-20 10:27:48

I read the first page or two and then the last two perhaps. Really up to the individual what they choose to read and that’s likely to be things of interest to them.

With the posters who just post the same old, same old I skip their pearls of wisdom as they become boring and tedious often attempting to disrupt proceedings because of their prejudices.

I hated maths at school. The teachers were sneering bullies who liked to humiliate girls who struggled with mathematical concepts so see no reason to be bullied in to doing maths now.

There are definite cliques in Gransnet and boasting slipped in to posts which I would imagine leave lonely and isolated people feeling quite low.

Calendargirl Mon 30-Mar-20 10:29:33

On my I pad, the OP is coloured green.

Can’t say I agree with you Baggs about not reading the thread. If you don’t read the thread and corresponding replies properly, it’s no wonder they go off track and huge rants not applicable to the OP.

But if they go on for ages, I just don’t read them as they can get boring.

Also huge long original posts, especially if they’re copying stuff from the media. I ignore them, which of course we all are free to read, participate or not.

Baggs Mon 30-Mar-20 10:30:22

^ Bags....I’d have thought particularly now people have ample time to read the whole thread !!^

I daresay they might have but they also have freedom to do what they choose rather than what someone else think they should do. Not reading a whole thread is harmless.

Baggs Mon 30-Mar-20 10:31:47

Other posters are not responsible for my feelings about how thread should be nor anyone else’s. Freedom and tolerance matter.

Eglantine21 Mon 30-Mar-20 10:33:12

It doesn’t bother me when people chip in. Except the ones that beat the same old drum regardless of the opening post.?

I once posted with a problem that had arisen with a friend. I could see it had two sides to it so I said at the start that I would take the majority view.

In that case it was helpful that a number of people gave their individual take on the situation. Especially the ones that gave me a hard time. It helped me see it from the other person’s point of view.

Marydoll Mon 30-Mar-20 10:37:55

Baggs, I think what Lucca may be referring to was the maths puzzle, which was solved and the calculation explained, and people were still posting with what they thought the answer was.
If posters had read the whole thread, they wouldn't have wasted their time.
However, another way of looking at it, is it resulted in a great deal of interaction between posters. smile

phoenix Mon 30-Mar-20 10:40:18

The OP is green, but it would be helpful if replies posted by the person who started the thread were also green,iykwim.

Lucca Mon 30-Mar-20 10:43:06

Baggs “Freedom and tolerance matter.” Indeed they do and I am sorry if I gave the opposite impression!

Meanwhile there is a loooong thread displaying anything but tolerance !

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 10:45:08

carrying sausages grin gilly

Um, possibly guilty if it is a long thread, sometimes I have answered the OP.

The maths one was annoying but perhaps posters just wanted to try and work it out for themselves
Then get it wrong grin

Baggs Mon 30-Mar-20 10:45:10

If posters had read the whole thread, they wouldn't have wasted their time.

It’s never a waste of time to do a mathematical problem Marydoll

Callistemon Mon 30-Mar-20 10:47:51

I've just done it on the knitting thread.

If it's worth saying, it's worth saying twice (or three times, or four or more)
Sometimes I have even been guilty of repeating myself on the same thread.

I will try, honestly

Baggs Mon 30-Mar-20 10:50:42

Exactly, Calli. Also people are free to waste their time in any way they choose

vena11 Mon 30-Mar-20 10:57:57

I don't post much but I do read but I seem to always read things and then realise there are a few pages so I don't bother saying anything. No point in repeating what others have all ready said. Mind you in my house I have to repeat a lot of things over and over grin

Pittcity Mon 30-Mar-20 11:03:34

Same in this house Vena!