Gransnet forums

AIBU

Terry Nappies

(68 Posts)
granma47 Tue 07-Apr-20 08:28:38

I have watched an article on breakfast tv about mums unable to access disposable nappies and there being a nappy bank to help out. Perhaps it is time to start donating terry nappies to these mums to start a new but old trend or is that just me being unreasonable.

Tangerine Fri 10-Apr-20 14:21:51

I believe there's a modern version of reusable nappies where they fit snugly like disposable nappies and don't leak but can be washed and used more than. These are, I think a good idea.

Someone once criticised me over 30 years ago for using disposable nappies so I asked her if she would want to go back to washing home-made sanitary towels. She laughed and agreed she wouldn't.

I guess a lot of people don't want to go back to terry nappies. I'd perhaps use the modern version which I described in my first paragraph. I shall never have another baby so shan't worry.

SueDonim Fri 10-Apr-20 13:30:59

We walked past a farmyard yesterday that was moving slurry. The stench of ammonia certainly cleared my head ? and put me in mind of lifting the lid on the nappy bucket in the mornings.

We lived in a house with no central heating at one time and I had to break the ice on the bucket in winter. My poor hands. ?

Sussexborn Fri 10-Apr-20 13:03:00

I had a large extended family and there were always babies nappies to be changed so I soon learned how to put them on securely and used stay dry fabric liners and, if budget allowed, disposable liners.

We went on a day trip to France and I decided to try disposable nappies (1974). They leaked really badly soaking my jeans and top. I smelt of pee for the whole day. Could have been worse!

By the time DD2 came along in 1981 I used disposables in the day and double Terry nappies at night with one way liner. It did mean changing the water in the nappy bucket every day and using a Napisan solution. A small pack of Napisan now costs a lot more than the large tubs used to cost.

timetogo2016 Fri 10-Apr-20 13:02:52

I only ever used terry nappies and that was over 34 years ago..
And how ironic that only just yesturday i was having a good clear out and found a nappy pin i kept.
Please don`t ask whyi kept it as i also have my both sons baby teeth and their first cut of hair.
We mothers can do some strange things.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 12:50:01

In the 60's I'd bought a bucket to go on the stove and all nappies were boiled---after sluicing of course and running through in cold water.

I also had a mangle in the yard, don't know where it came from but it was so very handy not only for the nappies but everything else too. Once on the line they never took long to dry and were white as snow with Persil.

Then I had a twin-tub, but still fell back on the old mangle to squeeze every drop out. Washing was hard work back then as was ironing before we were able to buy a proper iron rather than the one that heated on the stove.

BlueSky Fri 10-Apr-20 12:27:01

Agree Lucca but when I had my kids in the '70s it was just terry nappies, not sure they had disposables which were too expensive and in any case. We didn't have a washing machine or a dryer! How on earth did we cope? But it was lovely to see them blowing on the line on a windy spring day!

Deedaa Thu 09-Apr-20 22:39:20

I should add that when DD bought her reusable nappies she got a grant from the council towards the cost. It was about £30 I think.

chattykathy Wed 08-Apr-20 19:21:09

My daughter has used cloth nappies and cloth wipes with all 3 of her children and has a) saved a fortune and b) has done her bit for the planet. For those who say it makes no difference because of the detergent used to wash the nappies, you're not considering that disposable nappies will be in the ground for decades! She regularly reminds me that the disposables I used on her 36 years ago are still there ? (hangs head in shame)

varian Wed 08-Apr-20 18:31:22

My first child was born fifty years ago today. I always used terry nappies except when travelling. I loved hanging them out on the clothesline on a lovely sunny breezy day. I still have one, just about disintegrating now, which I use as a floor-cloth.

Deedaa Wed 08-Apr-20 18:26:45

DD always used re usable nappies for her two. I looked after them when she went back to work and spent many an afternoon sitting putting them back together in their coloured wrappers. Much less obtrusive than the old terry ones when they were hanging up to dry because they are made up of small pieces. The washable baby wipes are very good too. A wet one cleans a bottom much better than the disposable wipes.

Fennel Tue 07-Apr-20 17:16:17

My second son was born in 1963 and always had a mind of his own.
I have a clear memory of him, aged about 18 months, pulling off his terry nappy in disgust and saying
"I big boy, I no wear nappies, I go to toilet".
And he did.
I'll have to tell him about that.
His older brother was in nappies at night until he was about 5.

Callistemon Tue 07-Apr-20 17:06:18

jacq10 I remember that type and bought them when we went on holiday, what a disaster!

jacq10 Tue 07-Apr-20 16:29:44

Disposable nappies were first invented and produced in Britain in the 1959 by a mum of six children who lived about 10 mins away from where I live in the north of Scotland but the first I heard of them was in 1973 when I was nursing my dying mother at home with cancer. DD was 11mths and I was heavily pregnant with DS and the day before the funeral one of my cousins popped round with a packet for me to use the day of the funeral. As far as I remember they were like large sanitary towels and I wasn't really impressed. I couldn't have afforded to keep using them anyway so continued with the terry squares when DS was born. I think that children back then seemed to have been potty trained early probably because the terry nappies were needed for subsequent children.

LullyDully Tue 07-Apr-20 16:28:08

I would have used them if I could and don't begrudge the youngsters. We used them on holiday and they leaked. In late 70s early 80s.

GagaJo Tue 07-Apr-20 16:24:17

Disposables for my daughter and grandson. She was potty trained at one, he's in the middle of being trained at 2.

Evoha16 Tue 07-Apr-20 15:45:52

We had one cold tap in our first house - took an age to wash those nappies - but I’d give anything for those safe days now - and the smell of Fairy Snow soap powder - no fabric softer needed

Witzend Tue 07-Apr-20 13:07:57

Dd who had no. 3 in early January, invested in reusable nappies this time - colourful outers with inserts, and finds them fine, at least for the moment. And is thankful that she hasn’t had to go nappy-hunting lately. But she has a garden to dry them in, plus a Lakeland heated rack and a tumble dryer for emergencies.
They’re not exactly cheap and apparently people are selling these 2nd hand.
She’s now using washable bamboo wipes too, and finds them very good.

I used terry nappies for dd1, in the good old ‘kite shape’. I don’t know whether she was an especially ‘wet’ baby, but as she got bigger I would put her in double nappies at night, and they were still soaked in the morning!

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 13:05:49

And working to the last minute? I started my maternity leave at 28 weeks, 1974, because that was when you left work. Don’t recall any discussion about it. Probably because back then, certainly in our rural area, can hardly remember any new mums went back to work.
Having a baby meant leaving work and becoming a ‘proper mum and housewife’.
How times change.

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 13:01:23

Hetty

Re schools supervising toilet training. When my children were young, they could not attend the council run nursery at three years old if they were still in nappies. Another reason to have them trained.

sodapop Tue 07-Apr-20 12:50:02

I'm sure you are right LullyDully Terry nappies were so uncomfortable.

There were no disposable nappies when my children were babies, I remember the smelly bucket and trying to get them dry when it was raining. No tumble driers and only twin tub washers. I had a zinc tub to boil the nappies on top of the cooker. It was good to see a row of white nappies blowing on the line but I wouldn't want to do it again

Ealdemodor Tue 07-Apr-20 11:31:30

As most new mums are in their 30s, knackered before they start, having worked up to the last minute, then under pressure to get back to work ASAP, I can’t see much future for Terry nappies.

LullyDully Tue 07-Apr-20 11:27:05

I am sure children were quicker to train because they must have found those Terry nappies restricted them . The disposable ones look so much more comfortable so why not continue to use them from a child's point of view. Swings and roundabouts.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:16:36

My daughter uses the new shaped terry ones when she's at home. When away, she'll use disposables.

I well remember the permanent lidded bucket of bleach and nappies in the bath when my four were young. Yes, they were all trained by two years old.

Now, we have extra assistants in primary schools to help those in reception still in nappies!

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Apr-20 11:07:42

I don’t think I had disposable liners, just the little cloth ones. I always thought the shaped nappies leaked more than the folded squares. Perhaps my babies were the wrong shape. grin

Calendargirl Tue 07-Apr-20 10:19:40

Yes MawB we did flush nappy liners down the loo, and also tampons, because it said on the packets that was how to dispose of them. No one thought about fatbergs back then.