Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ricky Gervais, has a point

(61 Posts)
TerriBull Tue 14-Apr-20 10:51:53

Not for the first time, when he lambastes "some" c'lebs Sam Smith for one, great voice but oh so wet for moaning and groaning about self isolation often in a home with every luxury at their disposal, when medical staff are giving their all at at the front line on 14 hour shifts.

I also think some c'lebs have no nous whatsoever in their vulgarity of displaying, their own so called self isolation, often in very spacious second homes, equipped with every luxury known to man, via Instagram, when some families will be cooped up in small living areas, without outside spaces.

GagaJo Tue 14-Apr-20 13:41:38

SparkleFizz & Lovebeigecardigans. Holden DOES MY HEAD IN. So vacuous. So desperate for attention. I can't imagine how her family manage to live with someone so self centred.

Sussexborn Tue 14-Apr-20 13:45:06

Oops! See I should have said that “them” appeared in a fund raiser and “they” need to get a grip.

parkersheen Tue 14-Apr-20 13:53:26

The celebs have all found the best way to keep 'relevant' is to do daily live stream videos of themselves in their fabulous mansions (robbie williams and his obnoxious wife/rod stewart et al). All it is doing is making us a bit sick to see them 'self-isolating' with their big families in houses with dozens of rooms/swimming pool/games rooms etc.
Ricky Gervais has also said there should be a stop to the stupid selling (and eating) of animals and animal products at wet markets (frogs, bats etc still being sold in Asian markets).
And just to round off - Amanda Holden thank you for all your advice and words of encouragement but : ?

vissos Tue 14-Apr-20 13:57:41

Footballers and actors are often role models to younger people/their followers. Whatever we might think of them, they might get the message across to people less likely to listen to the Gov't.
I originally thought subliminal advertising might be a good idea - but the kind of people who are ignoring the advice and/or flouting the rules probably dont watch much mainstream tv anyway.

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 14:03:23

oopsminty thankyou

I have heard of Ed Sheerin but not the other one (or two or three, whatever)..
I used to rather like Amanda Holden many years ago when she was normal(ish) and married to thingummybob.

Les, yes, Les.

Chestnut Tue 14-Apr-20 14:20:54

Having taken his family down to his £4 million home in Cornwall against government guidelines, Gordon Ramsey is now moaning pitifully about having to cook for them every day. He is working his fingers to the bone and describes it as a 'living nightmare'.
I sincerely hope that people don't forget how shallow, self-absorbed and pathetic these people are when lockdown ends. And never support them again.

SueDonim Tue 14-Apr-20 14:23:29

Footballers like Jack Grealish? Great role model - not. www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/30/jack-grealish-apologises-for-stupidly-ignoring-lockdown-to-visit-friend-aston-villa

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 15:06:01

Do they honestly think that anyone really cares?

Unless they say something sensible, unselfish and caring, like Ricky Gervais.

Chestnut, Gordon Ramsay reminds me of my DGS a couple of years ago when asked to do a simple chore. DGS was about 8 at the time. He's grown up a bit since then, does chores without complaining because he knows where his pocket money comes from. Gordon should grow up too.

TerriBull Tue 14-Apr-20 15:21:02

Since the enforced incarceration, I have to admit to visiting the DM's "sidebar of shame" and there they all are, the usual self promoting culprits. My husband is another who frequently rolls his eyes at the omnipresent Amanda Holden, and whilst she is indeed annoying, I have to confess my own bete noire is none other than VB, particularly all the family stuff she posts via her Instagram. During the lock down we were treated to a glimpse of her in her Marigolds, ostensibly doing some housework in the Cotswold 2nd home, yeah right! and naughty David had drawn a willy on one of them how risque of him wink Meanwhile, her four very unremarkable children are constantly paraded by her showcasing some amazing talent or other. I feel particularly sorry for her little daughter, who unlike mother, looks really nice and smiley and every drawing, piece of writing etc. etc. is put up for public scrutiny. Oh for heaven's sake let the poor kid grow up in peace.

Then as Chestnut mentioned, there's shouty Gordon and his tribe who have decamped to their mahoosive 2nd home in Cornwall, generally pissing of the locals parking his Chelsea tractor all over the place.

Meanwhile over the other side of the pond, Goopy Paltrow was bemoaning the fact that lock down had impacted on her sex life and she was in therapy. Oh for god's sake this load of bollocks comes from the woman who has given the world a candle that allegedly smells like her own vagina shock

Then there's that staggering tower of talent Gemma Collins who is apparently filming one of her tv specials, yeah me neither! and putting the crew in danger by doing so shock because what the world needs now is more of Gemma Collins!

My own personal favourite was from some footballer or other, can't remember the name unfortunately footballers don't interest me enough. However, this clown addressing his fans telling them to stay indoors and not mix, whilst he, all the while was simultaneously indulging in orgies with call girls. You couldn't make it up!

However, one small mercy, as you have already said up thread Callistemon, a lack of edicts, from the planet sized brain that is Lily Allen, she's probably saving it up though!

It's entirely my own fault for reading all this garbage, locked up and going stir crazy, that's my excuse!

Washerwoman Tue 14-Apr-20 15:33:50

Sussexborn.Same here.I never warmed to RG and nearly didn't watch Afterlife but it got such good reviews I did.He went up massively in my estimation and hearing his comments on celebrities today has done so again.Apparently he has been with his partner the author Jane Fallon for years and well before he became so successful.And they like to lead a very simple life at home.

GillT57 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:37:15

|Amanda Holden is a person I dislike intensely, little or no talent other than of self promotion. I have never rated her, but she plummeted down in my low estimation when she publicly paraded her affair with Neil Morrisey while her then husband Les Dennis was blissfully unaware in the Big Brother house. She humiliated the man, truly vile person that she is. If anyone was going to torture me to give them details of my vast wealth ( hollow laugh) all they would have to do is put me in front of the tv when Britain's Got Talent is on; Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden and the irredeemably creepy David Walliams.......vomit.They should just keep their unwanted opinions to themselves.

Oopsminty Tue 14-Apr-20 15:40:28

I love David Walliams!

oscaro11 Tue 14-Apr-20 15:52:26

It’s amazing he has so much time to write so many books?

Calendargirl Tue 14-Apr-20 16:33:48

I find David Walliams very strange.....

songstress60 Tue 14-Apr-20 16:46:49

On the first novel competition which was held by Harper Collins last year can we only have entries by UNPUBLISHED writers! The winner 0f 2019 first novel, Jane Bettany, is an established writer, and has had many short stories, and articles published. Hardly a first writer and NOT level playing field to compete in. This year's first novel should only have entrants who have NEVER had anything published. Let's have fairness.

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 16:51:56

Terribull ◇frin] [fej ]

Keep it coming!!

Who is Gemma Collins btw? Another nonentity I've never heard of

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 16:52:40

What happened there shock

grin grin

TerriBull Tue 14-Apr-20 17:45:07

Callistemon "Who is Gemma Collins btw" If you don't know who she is, that is a good thing, better it stays that way grin but here's are two little clues, ex TOWIE, no discernible talent hmm

The "side bar of shame" it's an education, but not in a good wayshock

Sparklefizz Tue 14-Apr-20 18:36:01

I find David Walliams weird too, and I don't like the way he hits on young men, and also on Simon Cowell. It's not funny, and if it was a man hitting on women like that, there would be an outcry, and rightly so. He's an embarrassment in my opinion.

Oldwoman70 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:07:19

I agree with Terribull regarding VB - anyone see the photo of the family clapping for the NHS (of course they had to post a photo) and she looked totally bored and miserable (more so than usual)

May7 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:40:42

Who's VB?

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Apr-20 19:56:38

Victoria Beckham, I think.

More to the point, who’s Jane Bettany? Off to do a bit of googling....

Is there going to be another GN novel writing competition then? Now would be the best time to dust off the one that failed so miserably last year if so, and improve on it, naturally!

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 19:59:52

EISNTOW

BradfordLass73 Wed 15-Apr-20 01:30:25

In view of the fact that no celebrities can do anything without their agents (often is a contractual thing) I suspect this is all coming from the agents whose fat cheques will be drying up so want to keep their pets in the limelight. 'No such thing as bad publicity' !

I've heard Benedict Cumberbach talking about how agents can force actors and others to do things they don't particularly want or approve of, especially if they are big names.

$$$$$ rules

Callistemon Wed 15-Apr-20 09:49:13

Is Benedict Cucumberpatch pulling our legs, BradfordLass?

I would have thought an extremely high earning celeb could pick and choose their agent without having to jump through hoops?