Gransnet forums

AIBU

Colourful chalk on brick walls

(116 Posts)
Rosieroe Fri 17-Apr-20 21:07:59

I am seeing photos everywhere of people’s houses where they have been busy colouring in the bricks with chalk as a sign of support for the NHS.
Whilst it looks lovely and colourful at the moment am I the only one thinking about how they will have a dreadful time trying to clean it off in the future and will look absolutely awful.

Saggi Sat 18-Apr-20 11:17:24

Here’s a thought .... leave it on the walls and pavements ... maybe it’ll remind us of the real people of this country..... and it isn’t overpaid footballers and big hair, big lipped and big boobed brainless celebrities.

whywhywhy Sat 18-Apr-20 11:05:59

I cannot believe I am reading this!!!!!!!! Some of us, me in particular, battle depression every day and seeing these chalk drawings really cheers me up. We are battling this horrific virus and some are dying and you moan about a bit of chalk that will be gone in the rain. Get over yourself!

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Apr-20 11:03:35

Nannan2 The plastic covering is still there as it was security glass but I did ring because my neighbours downstairs are upset but I only got a recorded message. I also tried to use their email system but it said that only non essential repairs should be reported that way.
I will try again on Monday and I think they probably will come out although I don't like to make them come out. They may only be paid for call outs so they may not be too concerned and it does not mean them having to go into any of our flats.

Harris27 Sat 18-Apr-20 11:01:53

I had a lovely surprise one of the little girls I look after at nursery left one on my doorstep they knocked and went to the bottom of the garden. Made me cry she was missing me. Can’t wait to get back.

Missiseff Sat 18-Apr-20 10:58:35

Unbelievable. That anyone could even think that is beyond me. Bet you're fun at parties.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:55:42

If i could still stand on one leg to hop(very bad osteoarthritis) iď love to see a hopscotch chalked on the shared pathway outside- (or even my own path) I'd definitely have a go if i could manage it,but i cant.sad

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:51:07

Jaycee5,ring the council anyway,as broken or smashed windows Should be considered an emergency repair,as its classed as security- give it a try monday.

Acer Sat 18-Apr-20 10:50:39

Never mind the children am thinking of drawing on the pavement just to hopefully brighten someone’s day, looking forward to reality concert later with Elton John , Stones etc, might bring some needed sunshine in our heats ! ?

polnan Sat 18-Apr-20 10:46:10

go kids go!

Marjgran Sat 18-Apr-20 10:44:38

Yes, totally unreasonable. And do you really think it will “all be over”? It may be years. Plenty of time for the scrubbing brush. Unless it is obscene of course!

Bluegrass Sat 18-Apr-20 10:44:09

RosieRoe maybe you should consider yourself lucky if that is the most significant thing you have to worry about at present?

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:39:41

Yes,and it makes them sound very mean to be complaining over that when we have bigger worries right nowhmm..if i see any it will make me smile.smile and as most of them are rainbows for NHS & the keyworkers it makes these people sound especially mean.sad and also,if its on a public pavement,then yes,not your own property- so stop moaning please.& be glad youre still here to see the kids drawings.They are a little brightness right nowsmile

Acer Sat 18-Apr-20 10:38:51

Can’t believe we’re going down this road .... so much to be grateful for when so very many have lost and are losing their lives and loved ones. The number of abused children, hungry families don’t think wash off chalk drawings come quite in the same category . What happened to think of others before ourselves. If some happiness can be brought about then so be it. Stay safe and thank goodness for the likes of Captain Tom ?

Chewbacca Sat 18-Apr-20 10:31:14

Isn't it interesting how we all see something different! Some of us thankfully very few see a child's chalk drawings as innocent fun and a pleasure to see, whilst others see it as a defacement and something that should be irradiated. Maybe I should feel guilty that I gave my GC a huge tub of chubby chalks last summer and they're still using them now. But I don't! grin

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-20 10:29:41

My garden path is covered in chalk drawings done by the child who lives across the road. Before anyone leaps on me I wasn't outside with her when she did it but she had permission. It makes me smile every time I go outside. She's also decorated the pavement. Her innocent rainbows and "Be Happy" slogans are lovely.
;

Jaycee5 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:25:36

It is difficult for children right now. My estate normally has children playing out on a Saturday and you can hear them laughing and arguing. It is silent right now.
So what if they have done something that might cause a bit of inconvenient. They can't just go out and play. They should only do it on their own property but they are children.
There are worst things to get annoyed about. My neighbour's grandson obviously carried something into the property which has left dark splashes on our hallway and it looks filthy. Made worse by the fact that the window in our security door has shattered and the council is only dealing with emergency repairs (understandably). It makes me very cross and a bit embarrassed because this is a nice block that is beginning to look like a slum. The flat downstairs has the windows boarded up as well.
I wouldn't mention it though because he is working full time and trying to take care of his grandmother and he let me use his internet when mine went down.
Unless you live in an isolated house in the country, you have to be able to shrug things off. It will all get better in a few months and in the meantime the world has had a rest from our activity.

Lucca Sat 18-Apr-20 10:25:20

It appears Victor Meldrew is alive and well......

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:21:53

Its an offence?ive never known anyone 'get done' for little kids chalkings,-only for youths with spray paint maybe?And what bobby would bother to charge anyone for supporting our NHS& keyworkers right now.?i think all who are complaining are going slightly mad with this lockdown..And to all who are moaning,get a good strong old fashioned wooden scrubbing brush,and some bleach..give you less time to moan.grin

Molli Sat 18-Apr-20 10:20:29

We live in a rural area and our road is mainly older people or families where children have grown up. We have a few younger families and the other week they were all outside infront of their houses playing in the road with chalks - drawing pictures and messages and a giant hopscotch.
It was brilliant to see and yes I did the hopscotch with my dog much to their delight. It washes off! Just enjoy the creativity of these children.

annodomini Sat 18-Apr-20 10:18:26

Oh yes, they would, Nannan2!

When we were kids, 70 years ago, we used to pinch the donkey stone, normally used for whitening the doorsteps, to make 'peevers' (Scottish kind of hopscotch) beds on the tarmac road. That washed off when it rained, as it did on the doorsteps as well.

Nannatwiglet Sat 18-Apr-20 10:17:08

Chalk washes off in the rain.....! On a hot day my small DD loved painting “pictures” with a large paint brush and Plain water on the pavement. As the sun shone they dried up...or “magically disappeared”! She pretended to “paint” the fence and the window frames, doors etc with her wet brush too....Hours of imaginative summer fun!

goldengirl Sat 18-Apr-20 10:14:48

My GC have coloured their garden path in a geometric pattern. It's so pretty though probably today's rain will wash it away. Still, they can perhaps do it again. It doesn't hurt anyone. I love a bit of colour - much needed these days!

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:12:52

I agree Petalpop,its maybe they were never 'allowed' to do chalking as kids.hmm

4allweknow Sat 18-Apr-20 10:11:55

Used to chalk on pavements when young, hopscotch etc. Have seen some rainbows in footpaths at the end of driveways. My mum used to always chuck water on my creations and brush off. Only discovered when I had my own kids why she did this, it's an offence! Haven't seen any chalk on brickwork, wouldn't line to gave to clean that off, bricks having a rougher surface than concrete.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:11:08

I bet none of them would be moaning if Banksy had done a bit of drawing though,eh?grin