Gransnet forums

AIBU

Colourful chalk on brick walls

(116 Posts)
Rosieroe Fri 17-Apr-20 21:07:59

I am seeing photos everywhere of people’s houses where they have been busy colouring in the bricks with chalk as a sign of support for the NHS.
Whilst it looks lovely and colourful at the moment am I the only one thinking about how they will have a dreadful time trying to clean it off in the future and will look absolutely awful.

Petalpop Sat 18-Apr-20 10:08:47

Oops. WERE

Petalpop Sat 18-Apr-20 10:08:09

I think it is wonderful to see. Get a life. Where you never a child.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:07:35

Oh for goodness sake! It DOES NOT take a lot of scrubbing to get CHALK off- as a few of us have said,yes it probably takes more 'washings off' by rain or a hose,if that wall is 'sheltered' from rain,but if it is only chalk,it does come off in end...a good hosing down will help it fade quicker,but it will fade eventually.(unless sharpies or permanent markers are used,then will need a scrub.bleach should do it!) Anyway if its just kids rainbow pics why are some of you being so precious about it? Id have thought anything like that would cheer us up now not make you mean towards the kiddies! Even the 'new type of chalk' (which sounds made up cause ive got grandkids& never heard of it) will eventually fade off in all weathers,may take a bit longer..so why are being,yes,Killjoys!

Susiewakie Sat 18-Apr-20 10:04:40

Yes you are being unreasonable chalk washes off in the rain or wash it away .I've seen pictures of my grandchildrens art work in chalk . Just wish I was there with them but it cheers me up when I see local drawings out on daily walk

Bugbabe2019 Sat 18-Apr-20 10:00:14

It just washes off easily ?
Are you bored OP? ?

Aepgirl Sat 18-Apr-20 09:59:33

I’ve been walking this morning and yesterday’s rain has washed all the chalk away - ready for fresh art.

Longdistancegrnny Sat 18-Apr-20 09:58:30

We had loads in our street, they have all washed away now its raining, sadly. Hopefully when the sun comes out again the kids will do some more and I shall join them - I did some lovely flowers on the pavement outside my house, I didn't want to feel left out just because there are no kids living at mine! We have a Street Group on Whats App and some kind person ordered lots of chalk to lend to those who didn't have any. Stop whingeing and join in the fun, you never know it might make your day a bit easier!

Colverson Sat 18-Apr-20 09:57:15

I think its lovely ,next road from us family have made side of house beautiful with flowers,birds ect .Hope more pdo this but only with chalk Not paint

NannyG123 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:57:13

It will wash off. It's good that people are doing this. If I was to see hooscotch in the street at the moment . Would I have a go.. sure would.

Phloembundle Sat 18-Apr-20 09:55:42

I love seeing them all. The children are learning that we must all care about one another.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:55:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

inishowen Sat 18-Apr-20 09:54:46

My granddaughter chalked the lower part of her house LAST year. It doesn't come off! Rain falls downwards not directly on to the house. It will take a hosepipe and a lot of scrubbing to remove it.

Gwiz5 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:54:12

I think it’s fabulous for the kids to express themselves , I’d much rather they draw on the path , walls and garden than inside my or my dil’s house ! With everything that’s scary going on giving the littler ones something positive to do. I know that at the moment we are all feeling a little more sensitive about things that never used to even factor in our thought process. Take a breath. And in the words of Elsa ‘ Let it go ‘

Minerva Sat 18-Apr-20 09:54:08

There is a new kind of child’s chalk which lasts a lot longer than the first downpour. I have a reminder of my grandchildren’s visit in January 2019 on the back walk of my house. No they didn’t ask.?. We have had exceptional rainfall since then and it has at last washed off the bricks but is still to be seen on the mortar. Definitely a kind of chalk but made to last.

Of all things I am not going to be bothered about though is any tribute to our carers.

BusterTank Sat 18-Apr-20 09:53:59

It will wash of with the rain .

Xrgran Sat 18-Apr-20 09:51:03

Honestly ?in all of this we are going through there are still people getting upset over some chalk drawings on the road ????

Juicylucy Sat 18-Apr-20 09:49:37

It’s chalk that’s made to be used outside.Slightest sign of rain or water it will disappear it’s made to dissolve. My granddaughters have done it outside there house on the path the postman plays hopscotch and everyone loves it. Rainbows etc messages to NHS. Please lighten up as it’s bringing lots of lovely smiles and messages to folk across the country.

Nannan2 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:47:45

Rosieroe,mustn't have been just chalk you used then.was it crayons?we always chalked a hopscotch when we were kids,as did mine when they were little.it ALWAYS washes off with rain..i thought everyone knew that.might take 2 or 3 rains on a wall,but will wash off in end..& anyway,if it looks nice now,why would it look 'awful' later?and yes esspee,wax crayons must have been used near yours.but even that will rub off in the end.with rain,or sun will melt wax,and when more folk start to walk over it( eventually) it will rub it off.And why call kids drawings 'defacing' it? You sound very mean- minded.

BlackSheep46 Sat 18-Apr-20 09:42:15

Don't be such kill
Joys. There's little enough
Joy around us right now so if kids brighten everyone's life by jollying up pavements hooray !! Stop grizzling and start smiling. Works wonders for you and for everyone around you. Give it a try. Why not make today the day you only make positive remarks .

Mollygo Sat 18-Apr-20 09:41:40

There are rainbows in the windows, on the drives and the pavements where we take our walks. It looks really cheerful and keeps the children busy. Wax crayons or felt tips would probably stay on longer, but as long as they’re on the pavement and not on my property I don’t mind.
If it lasts, perhaps we could persuade the council to use coloured materials to repair the pavements so they last longer!

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Apr-20 09:40:50

Even if it takes a few rain showers, so long as it's actual chalk, it will wash off.
I've never had to scrub at my children's chalk drawings though walls do take much longer than pavements I found. In my experience it doesn't all go at once. Some colours stay longer than others.
If it's a dry spell it will hose off.
I've never had to scrub it

mbody Sat 18-Apr-20 09:40:12

Yes you are being unreasonable

Craicon Sat 18-Apr-20 09:36:51

@Esspee Get over yourself. If it’s on the public pavement in front of your home, then it’s not YOUR property.

Teacheranne Sat 18-Apr-20 07:50:17

What did they use Esspee? I'm surprised basic chalk lasted after 4 showers so I assume it was something more like wax crayons. That would annoy me too - I don't have a jet washer!

Esspee Sat 18-Apr-20 07:46:59

Well, three weeks ago during lockdown the pavement in front of my home was defaced. Despite four showers of rain it is still visible. Please insist your grandchildren only deface property belonging to their own family.
Why should I have to pressure wash my property because of their vandalism.