Gransnet forums

AIBU

Colourful chalk on brick walls

(116 Posts)
Rosieroe Fri 17-Apr-20 21:07:59

I am seeing photos everywhere of people’s houses where they have been busy colouring in the bricks with chalk as a sign of support for the NHS.
Whilst it looks lovely and colourful at the moment am I the only one thinking about how they will have a dreadful time trying to clean it off in the future and will look absolutely awful.

Clawdy Thu 30-Apr-20 14:24:33

I love the chalk pictures and hopscotch everywhere. And the rain to come soon would wash it away anyway.

Houndi Mon 20-Apr-20 15:45:24

Why Espee arexyou moaning i love it its nice for children to be able to do something nice.On the road were i live 2 children who are best friend can't meet so they stand on opposite side of the road drawing chalk painting to each other .Let children be children and stop bloody moaning you are norhing but a drainer draining the little sunshine kids at have the moment

inthewrongroom Mon 20-Apr-20 10:49:08

I am sure you are not "the only one" Rosieroe but I hope you are in the minority!
These children are not defacing (instilled by their parents) they are being made aware and, showing their appreciation of, the wonderful people who are keeping us all safe with much risk to themselves. Not just the NHS, but all the services we take for granted and are now being reminded of just how essential they are.
I think it is a happy way of showing this and puts a smile on MOST peoples faces. Chalk washes off!!!
I have to quote the masterful Charles M Schulz, creator of the inimitable "Charlie 'Chuck' Brown" .... "GOOD GRIEF"!!!

Jzpap Sun 19-Apr-20 18:27:04

It’s not your walls so it’s not your problem is it?
The pictures are lovely, really cheering during these difficult times
Yes YABU

Chewbacca Sun 19-Apr-20 11:08:19

LittleMo0 you've put your private email address on your post by mistake? You might want to ask GNHQ to delete your post or amend it so that your address isn't public?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Apr-20 11:07:58

Our neighbour nurse was out yesterday with her 3 year old colouring her garden wall rainbow colours.

Lovely to see with the 3 year old singing the rainbow song as he busily coloured.

LittlemoO Sun 19-Apr-20 11:02:23

We're removing this as someone has accidentally posted their personal details.

LittlemoO Sun 19-Apr-20 10:59:40

Yes you are being unreasonable

Daisyboots Sat 18-Apr-20 23:50:27

Living in Portugal there hasnt been any chalking around but yesterday on my first trip out for two months apart from trips to the hospital, which just means a trip down the motorway, I was delighted to see a huge painted rainbow hanging from the bedroom window of a house on the main road. It made my day.

Grannynannywanny Sat 18-Apr-20 23:29:35

Teacheranne I think you were misunderstood and the comment directed against you was unfairly harsh. Don’t let it upset you

Teacheranne Sat 18-Apr-20 23:24:08

I think my brief post has been misunderstood, I was not complaining about chalk painting near my house, I was merely expressing my surprise with a poster who commented that the chalk near her was still there after four showers of rain. Instead of jumping down her throat, as someone did to me, I tried to empathise with her annoyance in a more positive way.

I'm actually quite offended that some one thinks I was a bad teacher to criticise children for chalking cheerful messages during these dark times, I was actually a very popular teacher and won an award for my work in Learning Support throughout Greater Manchester schools. I have a colourful rainbow in my window for the few children who walk past to enjoy and would probably join them in a pavement painting - observing social distancing of course!

Maybe I need to be as rude as some other posters, and not try to understand another persons perspective and just criticise them!

GrauntyHelen Sat 18-Apr-20 23:04:43

Is that really all you have to worry about OP? They aren't even your walls YABVU

Skye17 Sat 18-Apr-20 21:29:41

Yes, YABU.

jenpax Sat 18-Apr-20 21:13:52

Two of my DGC (9 and 3)have coloured the wall below the kitchen window with chalks; the tub stated clearly that they were intended for out door use and washable. I am sure most of the chalks the kids are using are of these kind.
To be honest I am with everyone who says that these children (and adult) chalk messages and drawings are lovely to see and brighten up the day.
I also agree that with the lock down being extended for another 3 weeks and possibly longer! We need all the joy we can get, especially the children some of whom are really struggling with anxiety and depression!

GrammaH Sat 18-Apr-20 20:50:32

I'm not quite sure Rosieroe why you're worrying about how someone else is going to clean the walls of their own house up! It's not your problem, let them deal with that when the time comes. I'm sure you, like the rest of us, have more important and pressing matters to concern yourself with and, if you haven't, then you're a very lucky woman indeed.

Neilspurgeon0 Sat 18-Apr-20 20:07:30

Chalk Washes away in the first decent rainfall. For heavens sake let the Children show their interest and support, they are going to need the NHS a lot longer than we are, and, if they now believe in it as much as we do, then it’s future is likely to be MORE secure in the future. After all those children ARE the future.,

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Apr-20 18:55:53

As we don't have any children living within sight of the house, we didn't know that this was happening, and so when we came across a hopscotch and a trail to follow on a pavement this morning on our walk, we were delighted! (And had a go, of course, but it was designed for smaller feet blush.)

A lovely idea, and so is the one about rainbows in the windows.

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Apr-20 18:43:31

Our DGD2 chalked fish and flowers on the pavement, but just outside her own house, and a hopscotch too. Apparently a lot of adults couldn't walk over the hopscotch without hospscotching!

Stella14 Sat 18-Apr-20 17:17:54

Yep, you’re being unreasonable!

Lizbethann55 Sat 18-Apr-20 17:00:58

I am lucky in that my GC li e round the corner. Their daily walk with whichever parent is at home that day invariably comes past our house and we have a secret drop off where we put little treats ( well disinfected and wrapped) for the older one to find (the younger one is still a baby and the walk is usually to get him to sleep in his pushchair). I read this thread and thought " now there's an idea" so I will be straight on to Amazon to try to get some chunky chalk.

Pussycat2012 Sat 18-Apr-20 16:27:14

I agree with CherryCezzy,as I also drew hopscotch grids on the pavement and more besides and all were washed away by the rain to my annoyance!

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:10:43

Thanks for reminding us, Oopsminty

I have seen some wonderful pavement art over the years in various towns and cities, it is amazing.

Callistemon Sat 18-Apr-20 16:08:26

I got a free pattern to crochet a rainbow but it's probably beyond my capabilities as I'd have to follow a pattern!
And I don't have all the colours.

If anyone is interested, it's on the Deramores website.

Oopsminty Sat 18-Apr-20 16:05:31

I think it's lovely. A little girl near us has drawn a beautiful rainbow with stars and unicorns.

Totally harmless and it will all wash away eventually

People have been chalking pavements for years. Here's a few examples

www.boredpanda.com/44-amazing-3d-sidewalk-chalk-artworks-by-julian-beever/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

vampirequeen Sat 18-Apr-20 15:58:15

wtg Laurensnan