Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’ve done it again ! I need help !

(58 Posts)
Gemini17892 Tue 28-Apr-20 10:03:18

I have a confession to make. I’ve done it again. Hermes just delivered another parcel. OMG I thought.
When I can’t sleep or when I’m feeling not so good ( you know what I mean ) I buy yarn or wool as I used to call it. It’s getting a bit crowded in our spare room and I’ve no idea what I am going to make with it. I just love looking at it . Handling it. Knitting or crocheting it. The colours make me happy.
Tell me like it is. It’s stupid isn’t it ? Unreasonable even. No one else does this crazy thing . Or do they ?

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 23:11:17

Yes, my crochet skills are limited but I'm hoping the results will be appreciated.

JuliaM Wed 29-Apr-20 23:08:32

I own up to having a wool stash too! For meit was always increased after visiting Bridlington several times a year, and raiding the local Yorkshire mill wool shops, many of which were 'pound shops' with a good choice of yarns in all colours and thicknesses! The market stalls lso often resulted in a Black bin bag full, securely lashed down onto my Mobility scooter seat using Bungee cords kept for the purpose!
I used to knit a lot of baby clothes, but due to Arthritis in my hands, l now prefare to Crochet using a fairly large guage hook that I can grip easier, but my skills are purely self taught and fairly basic, so Granny squares, hats, and Scarves are about my limit, using as many pretty colours and textures as possible, and even some themed shaded ones to match a rooms decor!

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 22:38:59

It may have to be silver, frankincense and myrrh.
I have silver thread.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 22:36:47

I I daren't buy any more.
DH would move out.

Gemini17892 Wed 29-Apr-20 22:31:25

Well. It’s a start ?

Calli don’t you dare go on line and order gold thread. You know it won’t stop there don’t you ?

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 22:18:56

I look at them all occasionally.
I haven't knitted the presents yet, not having any gold thread.
That is a poor excuse, isn't it.

Witzend Wed 29-Apr-20 18:37:05

I once counted all the pieces just for each of the Three Kings - basic figure, robe, sleeves, hands, beard, a 2 piece headdress and the gift - 10 each!

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 17:31:01

Mine is next to me ( well slightly behind so not in direct eyesight).
I should have sewn it up as I went along.

I could use all the leftovers for another crochet blanket!

Witzend Wed 29-Apr-20 17:07:12

@Callistemon, I doubt either of my Nativity sets would ever have been finished if I hadn’t sewn up and stuffed each figure as I went along. The vast number of bits - so many of them so titchy - all waiting to be assembled would just have been too daunting.
I know I’m probably off my head, but I’m even contemplating a third, to use up some of my Nativity stash - I had to buy so many different colours - only very cheap acrylic, but 100g balls!
Gdd1’s year one class in September (??they’ll be back by then!) will be on a different site from pre-school and reception, so since the one I offered last year went down very well (C of E school), I thought the primary school might like one.
However, I’ve got a few things to get on with and finish before embarking on that!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 29-Apr-20 16:16:17

The one I have used is McAree Brothers in Edinburgh, but in March they said they were packing up. However, I just looked online and now they are saying that they will take online orders from Saturday, so does that mean that they are closing or not? confused

I hope not, as they have a great range and are very efficient.

Thank you all for the other suggestions. Don't think that my friend is going to run out of wool, and neither am I even when fat chance I finish the stash!

GrannyLaine Wed 29-Apr-20 15:33:53

I'll second Wool Warehouse and Love Crafts (formerly Love Knitting) I love that they send me my guilty pleasure the yarn in organza bags. And an amazing selection of yarn & accessories. And lots of special offers which are my downfall.....

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 14:32:33

I'll just have a look at those two websites first .....

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 14:31:57

No, no, no, turn off tablet and get on with some crocheting, Callistemon.
Or at least go and admire this morning's delivery in its isolation.
Now!
?

Hithere Wed 29-Apr-20 14:11:23

Hobbii is a very dangerous website.

Dont tell me I didn't warn you ?

Opal Wed 29-Apr-20 14:07:27

Wool warehouse is a good one smile

Wheniwasyourage Wed 29-Apr-20 13:59:42

Oh, and the other one - thanks again!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 29-Apr-20 13:59:06

Thanks, Callistemon. They certainly have a good range, and my mouth is watering and I will pass that name on to my friend.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 13:58:13

www.englishyarns.co.uk/acatalog/Products_Rowan_Pure_Wools_10.html
There are several, lots of other firms available and even the larger ones sell many diferent brands including 100% pure wool.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 13:56:15

I've just completed a cardigan and hat in pure wool but I'm not sure if DGD will wear it. I'll wash it gently and block it and see if it feels less 'woolly'.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 13:55:04

Wheniwasyourage

www.lovecrafts.com/en-gb/l/yarns/yarns-by-fibre/100-wool

I haven't used them but they sound good and are a Devon firm.

Tangerine Wed 29-Apr-20 13:16:17

I don't think you've done anything wrong. After all, there must be a charity somewhere which would welcome knitted clothes. Baby clothes perhaps or jumpers for the homeless?

My mother used to knit squares for the Hospice and someone stitched them together to make blankets for the patients. Mum did it for years.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 29-Apr-20 13:08:59

Ok, I give in. Asking for a friend (really, believe it or not). Can anyone recommend a good, reliable mail-order wool business? Preferably with a wide range, including real wool as well as plastic!

Thanks in advance.

Callistemon Wed 29-Apr-20 09:40:32

Witzend you're really good - my one Nativity set is still awaiting stitching up!

Yarn arrived this morning at about 7 am, it was the other half of the order. I had been worrying where the second lot was and wondering if I'd have to adjust my thinking.

I opened the packet to check, washed my hands (twice) and now I shall sit and admire it as it self-isolating.

Bathsheba Wed 29-Apr-20 09:33:08

I'm exactly the same, but with fabric. My fabric stash is really quite ridiculous, and every time I make something I sort the offcuts into various bags:

a) pieces big enough to use as part of a new project,
b) smaller pieces to be kept for patchworking,
c) much smaller pieces to be given to the local primary school for their craftwork,
d) shreds which I use for stuffing.

Consequently the stash not only never seems to get smaller, but also constantly creates potential new projects, which I will never live long enough to complete grin

Alexa Wed 29-Apr-20 09:07:05

Coloured wools are lovely so I can understand. I sat beside an old lady in a home who was knitting something, of salmon pink mixture yarn and I handled her work and it was so soft and springy it was a pleasure to touch.