Gransnet forums

AIBU

I’ve done it again ! I need help !

(57 Posts)
Gemini17892 Tue 28-Apr-20 10:03:18

I have a confession to make. I’ve done it again. Hermes just delivered another parcel. OMG I thought.
When I can’t sleep or when I’m feeling not so good ( you know what I mean ) I buy yarn or wool as I used to call it. It’s getting a bit crowded in our spare room and I’ve no idea what I am going to make with it. I just love looking at it . Handling it. Knitting or crocheting it. The colours make me happy.
Tell me like it is. It’s stupid isn’t it ? Unreasonable even. No one else does this crazy thing . Or do they ?

LadyGracie Tue 28-Apr-20 10:19:51

I have to admit that I do! I’m a Gemini too.

I am obsessed by wool, I pick up my knitting as soon as I sit down and have always taken it with me when I go out.

Our fitted out loft is rather well insulated with it. I worked in a wool shop in my 20’s so the collecting started.

I subscribe to half a dozen or more knitting websites and I’m very easily tempted by gorgeous patterns then the yarns. I love it.

It may be stupid or unreasonable to some, to me it’s my ‘thing’ call me crazy if you daregrin

Teetime Tue 28-Apr-20 10:22:39

Nurses in the hospitals here are asking for headbands so they can secure their masks without getting elastic rubs. Fun knitted coloured ones would be good made in cotton so they can be washed.

25Avalon Tue 28-Apr-20 10:26:33

Bought some wool on offer a month ago, went to put it in the spare room and realised I already had loads in there already! Such gorgeous colours especially the random ones and lovely textures. I have told myself I must get knitting what I have before I buy any more tempting as it all is with some great offers around.
Spare room is also full of craft and card making stuff I haven’t touched in years.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Apr-20 10:27:02

Gemini17892, it seems a harmless little indulgence to me.

Other people are hitting the bottle, smoking their heads off, gambling and shopping online to excess.

I'm overeating atm with a doubling of my normal (generous) intake. I'm putting on weight.

We're stuck in an emergency lockdown, though - so why worry about it?

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 10:34:34

Oh dear, Gemini17892 blush

There are some good offers on at the moment, aren't there.
We have to have something to keep us occupied and it is a productive hobby. Today it's raining so I'm not even going outside, we need something to stop us getting cabin fever.

However, I have only received half my order so can only make half the pattern!!

I am mindful of the fact that people are going in to work but also of the fact that the firms I deal with assure me that they are operating safe working conditions, some staff have been furloughed and other people have come forward to work and it does keep smaller firms going.

(Before we get told off for putting people's lives at risk by online shopping).

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 10:37:17

Do you get adverts pop up on the side of GN for free knitting or crochet patterns?
There are lots of free downloads at the moment which may help you to decide what to do with your stash.

vampirequeen Tue 28-Apr-20 11:32:11

Nothing wrong with knitting or crocheting. Does you local maternity hospital need hats for new borns? What about granny blankets? I love a nice colourful granny blanket. They're so comforting.

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 12:01:42

I shall have one made for each member of the family by the end of this, vampirequeen grin

Round and round in ever-increasing circles squares!

Mogsmaw Tue 28-Apr-20 12:02:17

Don’t worry @Gemini17892 just buying “wool” is known as “stash” and is perfectly normal. I had to convert the spare room into a craft room to accommodate mine. I’ve been evicted for the duration as it’s now the office.
Join Ravelry where you can revel vicariously in other people’s stash or “flash your stash” it’s honestly a thing.
I’m what is known as SABLE, (stash exceeds believable life expectancy)
Do whatever you need to see you through, if you can afford it a little retail therapy is good for the soul. If you get into hand-dyed lovelies your supporting a small business.
Even big warehouses need our love at this time.

Gemini17892 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:12:06

Oh phew ! You lovely people have made me feel so much better. I’m not alone and at least Hetty as you say it’s not fattening. My new phrase is going to be HLI a harmless little indulgence. Love it !
Good idea Teetime for the headbands and for the baby hats VQ .
LadieG as you’re a Gemini too do you get fed up half way through a project ? I’ve made a witch and am halfway through the wizard but bored now. ( we have twin grandchildren ) .
Who has several projects on the go at the same time ?

Gemini17892 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:15:02

Hand dyed lovelies , Mogsmaw , don’t tempt me.

Hithere Tue 28-Apr-20 13:11:18

I am on the same boat.
And if there is a clearance.....

ginny Tue 28-Apr-20 13:17:59

You are in good company. I have a pretty good stash of wool and fabric . It gets used up eventually but I can spent hours just looking at it , stroking it and thinking what I might make.
There is a rather nice pattern and wool offer in a magazine that I probably NEED to buy.

NanaDH Tue 28-Apr-20 13:20:01

I am so glad I am not the only one who flits from one project to the next. I put a note on the craft table “one at a time”. I have now covered it up with another “thing to do”. No hope for me?

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 13:49:57

I get bored partway through too! Hence a lot of UFOs.
Although, with other things I have endless patience and have to finish.

I am on the cusp, though, so really mixed up grin

Opal Tue 28-Apr-20 13:56:06

I'm exactly the same, I keep getting emails from the various online wool suppliers and can't resist taking a peek at their latest offers, which inevitably ends in me ordering something smile. I'm the same with fabric, I've lost count of the number of fabrics in my stash. I just love anticipating a delivery of wool or fabric grin.

threexnanny Tue 28-Apr-20 14:01:50

I 've found a stash of baby wool I'd forgotten about. Now going to knit baby stuff for the charity shop to sell later in the year so they've got stock for the expected baby boom !!!

Liz46 Tue 28-Apr-20 14:10:26

I am not allowed out so had no excuse about tidying up. I am shocked by the size of my wool stash. I knit for a dementia charity and people had donated wool and I pick up packs in Aldi etc. At least I have time to use some of it up now and I really don't need to buy any online.
I've just dug out a cross stitch that I started about fifteen years ago so will finish that at last!

MissAdventure Tue 28-Apr-20 15:21:27

I love the sound of that "flash your stash" thing. smile

Callistemon Tue 28-Apr-20 16:03:46

I felt embarrassed when I read my post.

So I have finished sewing up something I knitted about 18 months ago before I start something new smile. It may have to be posted off for charity as it won't fit DGD by the time I see her again.

[halo] well, nearly, I have to find some buttons for it now out of another stash.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 28-Apr-20 16:21:00

So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm just about to finish a present for a new baby and the wool for a jumper for me is sitting looking at me, so the large pile upstairs is going to have to wait again. Not to mention the patchwork I started in 1975...

The mail-order business from where I got some lovely wool shut down just before the lockdown sad so that has removed some temptation, but it seems from some posts that there are other good mail-order businesses. No, I am not going to ask!!

Grandmafrench Tue 28-Apr-20 16:30:17

You don't need help, Gemini you need encouragement. And everyone here is either the same as you, or worse, or lost in admiration at your talent. You Go Girl !!

ginny Tue 28-Apr-20 16:37:15

Another thing is that it has been proved that craftwork, including patchwork, knitting and crochet are extremely good for your mental health.
It fill up many hours of these long days.

BlueSky Tue 28-Apr-20 17:24:52

I've never ever hoarded groceries, even when we have some snow, no need to in this part of the UK. But this time I have a nice little emergency supply of everything and I intend to keep it that way to the horror of my DH. This stems from the beginning of this pandemic when toilet paper was like gold dust!