Gransnet forums

AIBU

Supper on the sofa?

(137 Posts)
Bluegrass Fri 08-May-20 12:03:10

DH and I have firmly got into the habit of eating supper on the sofa in front of the TV. I wonder how many of you do this also?

CanadianGran Fri 08-May-20 21:18:12

Breakfast and lunch at the table, and dinner mostly on our laps watching the news at 6.

I don't have a tray, but use a placemat on my lap. I have nice thick cloth ones that wash easily.

EllanVannin Fri 08-May-20 21:28:38

A tray on my lap---unless I have dark chocolate digestives then it's the table. If I'm eating them sitting on the sofa, even with a tray, you can guarantee that a piece of chocolate will find itself in/ down the front of my trousers !
I had on a light grey pair last week and putting them on next day sure enough there was a dark brown mirror image on each leg at the top looking pretty ominous so in the wash they went.

lemongrove Fri 08-May-20 21:33:29

kitty.....you mean to say that you don’t have a fresh napkin each for every meal, am shocked! ?

lemongrove Fri 08-May-20 21:34:11

Ellan ?

lemongrove Fri 08-May-20 21:35:26

If my ( rather clumsy) DH had supper on the sofa.....that’s exactly where the supper would be.

paddyanne Fri 08-May-20 21:38:15

two dining tables and a breakfast bar here and we always have supper ,around now, on the sofa .Well my OH does,its egg and tomato sandwiches tonight and a slice of boiled fruit cake .Ive got black tea as always

Whitewavemark2 Fri 08-May-20 21:42:27

Breakfast on the table because the sun is in the dining room in the morning. Lunch this time of year in the garden if the weather is fine. Supper on our laps. The napkin problem ok as we have different colours. Only use our white ones for posh dinners.

kittylester Fri 08-May-20 21:52:44

Not since we had to get rid of the staff lemon.

Evoha16 Fri 08-May-20 22:06:38

Shouldn’t be typing this but - table always for Shabbat - ?

Callistemon Fri 08-May-20 22:39:23

We've been eating outside in this nice weather.
Otherwise its usually the kitchen table although I did have cheese and biscuits on my lap this evening in front of the telly.

There are puzzles spread out on the dining table.

We don't feel comfortable sitting on the sofa eating a main meal, don't people get indigestion?

Maggiemaybe Fri 08-May-20 22:52:11

We always have our meals at the kitchen table. No TV, just the radio on.

But we’ve hardly any fruit left till the next delivery comes on Monday, so I resorted to eating the prunes today. Out of the tin, in front of the computer. It doesn’t count because nobody saw me. blush

maddyone Fri 08-May-20 22:55:54

phoenix
Have very dare you, no linen napkins shockgrin

maddyone Fri 08-May-20 23:00:59

We tend to eat in the sitting room with trays now, the sort of trays with the beany bags underneath, so they balance on our knees. When the children were at home, we normally ate in the kitchen at the kitchen table, and on high days and holidays we ate in the dining room, consequently all our adult children still eat at the table. Now if the grandchildren are eating with us we revert to eating at the kitchen table, and if we have the whole family, or part of the family we revert to eating in the dining room. Or the garden if it’s a barbecue.

Callistemon Fri 08-May-20 23:04:55

I must go starch and iron the napkins, shine the crystal goblets and polish the silver cutlery ready for tomorrow's repasts.

I gave the butler and housekeeper the day off as it's a Bank Holiday.

grannyactivist Sat 09-May-20 00:03:14

For a great many months months I was eating in my bedroom! smile

When I was recovered enough to be downstairs I would be brought a tray into the sitting room where it was warm and I could sit comfortably in an armchair, but now I'm well we've gone back to eating at the table in the dining room and I have to say I do prefer it. Dining at the table provides a sort of punctuation mark between the busyness of the day and the more relaxed evenings.

Also I spill thing less often when I'm sitting properly. grin

Coolgran65 Sat 09-May-20 00:18:42

Dh and I use a tray on our laps if it's just us.
Any family with us which is every Sunday under normal circumstances is in the dining room with a tablecloth and table protector. Still using Chr*****s paper napkins. Guess I had too many.

Sussexborn Sat 09-May-20 01:08:48

My OH always eats at the dining table and I generally sit and watch tv.

My MIL gave me a napkin ring and passed on OH’s, which I think was a christening gift. I’m not sure where they are now though.

SueH49 Sat 09-May-20 01:56:49

Always at the table for me. I find it much more comfortable and easier to clean up any mess. But that is just me.

Marmight Sat 09-May-20 06:12:03

I would eat at the table but by evening it’s covered in painting stuff, books & heaven knows what so I tend to eat supper/dinner in front of the TV and use a tray with polystyrene bobbles which nestle into the knees. I have found that my ‘table’ manners are becoming somewhat slovenly and to protect the arms of my chair, unfortunately a light duck egg blue, I now cover the whole chair in a fleecy rug which is easy to wash if the odd splat of sauce or flying spaghetti occurs blush. Sitting in this position I tend to miss my mouth encouraging dribbles & splatters down my front. No hope. This isolation business has a lot to answer for ?

timetogo2016 Sat 09-May-20 09:37:14

I only ever ate at the table until i moved in with 2nd dh.
He used to sit at the table but now it`s the sofa for us.
Strangly enough i eat less than i did when i sat at the table.

Moggycuddler Sat 09-May-20 09:41:48

Always have meals on trays on our laps. No room for a table anyway.

Mollygo Sat 09-May-20 09:43:56

Sometimes we do, sometimes not, depending on what we’re eating. It’s our house so our rules. When we have visitors we usually eat at the table, especially if there are children to cater for.
One daughter’s family always eats at the table, but then, they have a TV in the bedroom. I don’t tell her I don’t like that idea and she doesn’t comment on us munching on the sofa. Relax there are worse things to fret about.

Hellis Sat 09-May-20 09:50:41

I only use the table at Christmas or if we have company for dinner, which isn't very often. Prefer to eat in the lounge on the sofa

Janetashbolt Sat 09-May-20 09:55:11

my dining table is only used at Christmas and when my grandson stays (his parents insist he eats "at the table")

Maccyt1955 Sat 09-May-20 09:55:45

I am still working part time from home, and sitting down with a good meal and something we have been looking forward to watching on television is a treat at the end of the day.

If we have family to lunch, then on course we sit at the table.
I light candles, put flowers on the table etc.

I don’t know what the fuss is about.