Gransnet forums

AIBU

Supper on the sofa?

(137 Posts)
Bluegrass Fri 08-May-20 12:03:10

DH and I have firmly got into the habit of eating supper on the sofa in front of the TV. I wonder how many of you do this also?

lilypollen Sat 09-May-20 23:30:50

TV dinners on trays regularly except, roast, bbq,fondue or visitors. I decided on a normal meal at the table 2 days ago - nothing to say - won't be doing it any time soon as the TV is a diversion. Sad!

NanaPlenty Sun 10-May-20 08:48:35

We usually sit at the ‘table’ which is a very large island in the kitchen but occasionally and dependent on what the food is, I put it in large bowls and we eat it in the snug on the sofa.

Fairyfeet Sun 10-May-20 10:41:37

I haven’t eaten at the dining table when I’m alone since my DH died 3 years ago. I can’t bear to see his empty chair. I have a lap tray and eat in the sitting room watching tv......soup is a little difficult though. I can’t see anything wrong with it. When he was alive, and the children were at home, it just would not have happened ever. Proper sit down meals, no tv, no mobiles, and conversation with each other was the norm.

GabriellaG54 Sun 10-May-20 16:42:08

I always eat meals at table and lay it properly, after all...I'm worth it. ??
I might listen to music or read a book propped on the recipe book stand.
Your lap is much lower and less stable than a table, even with a padded lap tray.

Callistemon Sun 10-May-20 16:44:23

I dont feel as if I'm in the right position to eat sitting on a sofa.

That's why Thor created tables and chairs and rattles them around sometimes in the heavens.
We think it's thunder but it's not.

Evoha16 Mon 11-May-20 20:53:26

There’s a fab oak ‘coffee’ table made by L**ra A**ley which has a lift up section which raises up to an ideal level to sit on sofa and eat from - I’m thinking of getting one for winter as we migrate like caribou from conservatory to lounge - esp when ‘Only Connect’ is on

annep1 Mon 11-May-20 23:32:01

I use a large round cappuccino mug for soup on my lap fairyfeet.

dizzygran Fri 05-Jun-20 07:54:59

Trays on laps for us when it is just the two of us watching the news. We use the dining room for family and friends - or when I've cooked something special. My kitchen is too small for table and chairs. Been eating outside during this lovely weather - and have mozzie bites everywhere!!

NfkDumpling Fri 05-Jun-20 08:11:00

Supper (except here we call it dinner), is always on a tray on laps watching the news. All other meals are at the table.

NfkDumpling Fri 05-Jun-20 08:11:48

The six o’clock news is responsible for some very lax habits!

henetha Fri 05-Jun-20 10:36:07

Always on a tray for me. My back hates my dining chairs.
So I'm on my sofa, supported by cushions, for every meal.