Gransnet forums

AIBU

Stepdaughters wedding

(158 Posts)
Kamj Thu 14-May-20 13:06:14

They are her step brothers, my sons from a previous marriage i have been married to my husband 5yrs they are 9 and 15, we get on well, very well, i think i contact her more than hrr dad does, its a female thing, i just wonder what will happen if husband does ask and they're not invited? I get its their choice who to invite and they got a buget and numbers to work with but i jist didnt think they wouldnt be invited, the wedding has been planning for 2 yrs, she has kept it very close to her chest, but i didnt mind i thought be a lovely surprise on day, i jist feel disheartened by it, either way i feel itll cause upset x

felice Thu 14-May-20 12:56:00

We had a similar situation years ago when Sister-in-law married, DS1(mine) was away at college, when the invitations went out just DS2(mine) and DD were invited.
I was very hurt as we were paying for most of the wedding even her dress.
I said nothing as they are a very touchy family, but lo and behold, at the wedding I was constantly being asked where he was.
Said' you did not invite him' to be told sorry we must have forgotten to put his name on the invite.
Perhaps you could find a way to bring up the subject quietly ????

Hithere Thu 14-May-20 12:42:22

Do your sons want to fo to this wedding?
How old are the sons?
How is the relationship between your stepdaughter and her (half) brothers?
How long have you and her dad being married?
How is your relationship with her?

bongobil Thu 14-May-20 12:34:05

Yes I agree let her Dad deal with this. Very difficult situation to be in I dont envy you. Hope it gets sorted so your sons can attend with you.

Kestrel Thu 14-May-20 12:26:37

yes I agree - good advice from Tanith

sodapop Thu 14-May-20 12:23:59

Good advice from tanith

tanith Thu 14-May-20 12:11:50

I think your husband should clarify with his daughter if her step brothers are invited or not. I think you should stay right out of it to save a rift developing. Let your husband deal with it.

Kamj Thu 14-May-20 11:38:14

My step daughter is getting married at christmas, quite a large affair in a country house, which i cant wait for, bit apprehensive as husband will be sat at top table with ex and as i thought my young sons would be attending i thought ok i can do this sitting at a table with them as such, though the invites have been sent and my sons have not been invited, my husband is shocked, im hurt, i havent mentioned to sons as i think they think theyre invited, we have a close family with meet ups with step/bio children alot for family events, i treat all the same at birthdays etc i treat as mine, i appreciate my adult children wouldnt have necessarily been invited(though thought again maybe they may have) but i did think my younger two would have as there are children going to the wedding etc so i thought it was just a given
Where as i know its her wedding her choice i feel hurt by it, i truely thought she would have invited, i dont know if to say anything, if hubby should, if i should decline invite or if i should just attend ceremony or evening, if i should rsvp with the cbildrens acceptance and make out i assumed they where invited? As they may well be but just not on invite as such,
Please help and offer advice in what to suggest /do x