Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aargh! What DON'T they get?

(176 Posts)
phoenix Sun 17-May-20 18:19:51

Just listening to the News on Radio 4, Simone who had travelled an hour and a half to get to their favourite beach, complaining that there were too many people, and that they were not complying with social distancing guidelines shockconfusedangry

Nanna58 Mon 18-May-20 13:53:48

Sparkle fizz, I admit to a little satisfaction that men in the Middle East are now having to cover their faces after centuries of insisting their women do !!

Doodledog Mon 18-May-20 14:02:13

Thank you, Lemongrove grin.

Paperbackwriter Mon 18-May-20 14:14:45

Doodledog Thank you for the most completely reasonable statement on here. I got into a big spat on facebook for agreeing with someone who had also pointed out that just because a person is lucky enough to live in a beautiful and sparsely populated area, it doesn't mean they own it. I had comments along the lines that those who went to those places were 'selfish, mindless morons' (and worse!)
We are told by the government that we allowed to travel any distance now (so long as we don't stay the night). Imagine living in an inner city area, (and yes there are those in the far SW too), only a dozen miles from a long, open beach. Who wouldn't want to take their children there? Spirits need to be lifted for everyone, not just the privileged few with space and gardens.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 18-May-20 14:21:50

Our beaches are public as are our national parks, recreational parks and public woodlands aren’t we fortunate to have these wonderful outside spaces free to use?

lynneg Mon 18-May-20 14:34:02

My great niece in Scotland has her fiancé visiting from Wales for a few days. They visited her grandmother, my sister, along with other members of the family. My sister is 83 and not well. My son and his wife both have the virus and isolating. I would love to see them and the kids but even after they get better, I will keep my distance although it’s hard. I thought Wales like Scotland were still in lockdown, but obviously that doesn’t matter to some. I despair!

Sparklefizz Mon 18-May-20 14:39:39

Nanna58 Sparkle fizz, I admit to a little satisfaction that men in the Middle East are now having to cover their faces after centuries of insisting their women do !!

Quite!

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 14:39:56

Im off as its just going to put up my blood pressure
Do be careful, Nannan2 people with high blood pressure seem to suffer more if they do catch COVID19.

No, we cannot stay 'locked down' for ever. At some point, to be judged by scientists, virologists, epidemiologists, doctors advising the Government, we need to get back to normal, always been aware that if there are indications of another peak, we must be prepared to take more precautions again.

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 14:40:22

always being aware

Mollygo Mon 18-May-20 15:19:46

There’s been a lot of, “keep out of our beaches and beauty spots” on here and other social media sites. It doesn’t make us look good.
I’m still puzzled how I can safely to go to a beach or park full of strangers and sit there and if my daughter and children arrive they can sit 2-3 metres away, without breaking the rule because we haven’t arranged to meet up, but I can’t go to my daughter’s, where a big garden would allow her to stay by the patio doors and me to sit distanced on my folding chair while the children bounce on the trampoline further down the garden.
I suppose there would be more temptation to hug, which we’d resist and more opportunity for neighbours to report.

Soniah Mon 18-May-20 15:23:44

we're shielding but still walking from home, very busy here as you can see, do feel sorry for people who can't get out somewhere nice or live in England where the rules aren't clear enough for some people to understand, we understand in Wales, stay home or walk/cycle from home

sarahellenwhitney Mon 18-May-20 15:25:20

paddyanne
Calm down .I live in a popular SW seaside holiday location where coast guards were out over the high temps weekend warning people NO lifeguards and to respect our emergency services by keeping out of the sea. Did they ?
and you are complaining about a few folk at a one off funeral?

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 15:28:33

Mollygo I can't understand that either.

Is it worse for my family to come here, sit in the garden - at a distance of several metres, come in and use our downstairs loo, which I can clean thoroughly after they have gone home than for them to go out somewhere and the children to use a public toilet?

Sussexborn Mon 18-May-20 15:29:18

Am I the only one concerned about Varian? She posted the same thing rhetoric four times almost in a row and now seems to have vanished into her own pity party.

Perhaps she is checking out flights to Quatar or somewhere with similar laws. Hopefully she will then be away from all of the stupid people here on GN and all of her stupid fellow countrymen! It must be hard being the only intelligent person in the whole country!

Perhaps she needs to widen her group of friends and acquaintances as they are all, in her not so humble opinion, obviously stupid as well.

It has occurred to me that she may have been planted by the Tories to ensure that Labour never regains its former status as leaders of the opposition. It’s opinionated people like her trying to impose their views on others that cost them the election, not the stupidity of others.

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 15:35:11

I think varian is a Lib Dem, Sussexborn not absolutely sure, so I will only whisper that quietly.

I did notice the B word though
Perhaps it makes a change from the C word

PamelaJ1 Mon 18-May-20 15:41:20

Sussex, Qatar won’t let her in. Closed to outsiders.
I have to be grateful they let us transit there on the way home a couple of months ago.

Flakesdayout Mon 18-May-20 15:41:48

I think many people seem to have forgotten there is a virus out there that is killing people. Our government do not give clear messages and the latest guidelines are ridiculous. The complacent attitude of the stupid people will be very clear in a couple of weeks.

Doodledog Mon 18-May-20 15:59:04

Which stupid people are these, Flakesdayout?

The ones who are following the government advice and going out to get fresh air? Or the ones who haven't kept up to date with the changes in advice and are telling others to heed the previous instructions not to travel to take exercise? The ones who share your opinion, which you haven't shared with us? Or some other unspecified group of stupid people?

There is a lot of name calling going on on this thread, and not a lot of explanation of what is meant by them.

Rosina Mon 18-May-20 16:03:14

Reports of this kind of mindless behaviour are so frustrating - you don't have to be able to read to listen to the news; you don't have to be in MENSA to grasp that 'Do not' in front of a sentance means 'do not do this.'
I am trying to tell myself that the mindless idiots who seem to not have noticed - or care - that over 32,000 people have died are in the minority, and the sane behaviour of the rest of us will hopefully manage to steer the ship the right way.

Doodledog Mon 18-May-20 16:07:41

Which mindless idiots are those, Rosina?

The ones following the government advice and going out to get fresh air? Or the ones who haven't kept up to date with the changes in advice and are telling others to heed the previous instructions not to travel to take exercise? The ones who share your opinion, which you haven't shared with us? Or some other unspecified group of mindless idiots? grin

Oh, and 'Do not do' what, exactly? The OP was about people going to the beach, but as has been established more than once on the thread, it is perfectly within the government guidelines to travel an unlimited distance to take exercise.

lemongrove Mon 18-May-20 16:15:19

I think that you, I, and anyone else saying this Doodledog may as well go and bang our heads against a brick wall.

Or just accept we are ‘stupid’.?

montymops Mon 18-May-20 16:34:54

Maybe some of the people you see out and about have had Covid 19 - have fully recovered and now feel they have a degree of immunity?

Firecracker123 Mon 18-May-20 16:35:29

13:16Nannan2

If the virus is not stopped or a vaccine found the world WILL close down indefinitely- as everyone would die off!!

Well I've had coronavirus and I'm still alive as are millions of other people. It's not a certain death sentence if you get it.

Firecracker123 Mon 18-May-20 16:40:35

The buses in Salford, Manchester and Cheshire I've seen are all empty. Perhaps in London on the Tube it's busy but not elsewhere.

Nelly1966 Mon 18-May-20 17:02:14

Is it any wonder that people aren't taking government guidance seriously though when they give advice like car sharing is fine, so long as you have all the windows down and don't look at each other!!! I kid you not, that's what it says on the government website.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 18-May-20 17:17:45

Lemongrove grin