Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aargh! What DON'T they get?

(176 Posts)
phoenix Sun 17-May-20 18:19:51

Just listening to the News on Radio 4, Simone who had travelled an hour and a half to get to their favourite beach, complaining that there were too many people, and that they were not complying with social distancing guidelines shockconfusedangry

Gilmul Fri 29-May-20 13:10:20

Another thing ... my friends son told his Parents he was off to take the dog for a nice long walk ... 13 pals all lying about ( several dogs too) . No social distancing at all. A bit of kissing even going on !!! I can see how at 15-17 this must se like the longest longest time . They’re all ok as far as they’re concerned and I’ll bet even the nicest kids are taking chances. As a 56 year old joe it’s easy to judge. We grew up with the Aids adverts and still had “fun” I’m sure they’ve been mindful but are at that invincible time of their lives unfortunately

Gilmul Fri 29-May-20 12:58:18

The lack of loo facilities at local beauty spots including beaches need to be put out there by local councils/notices before people arrive . We live around the corner from the sea. One disabled loo open for one whole beach. No loos at all on bigger beach. No cafes/pubs open to access loos etc. They will NOT let u use their facilities full stop. Please please let your friends /family know this should they think of heading out to ANY destination.

FarNorth Tue 19-May-20 08:44:36

oldgoat had said similar a couple of posts before me, but I hadn't seen that, honest.

So glad to learn I'm one of the cool gang conspiracy theorists. smile

FarNorth Tue 19-May-20 08:36:34

smile. hmm. confused. grin

Chapeau Tue 19-May-20 02:49:23

Far North I love your comment about "herd immunity" way back on p.2.

The next bit is a bit long and rambling so sit down, kick off your shoes and enjoy a wee drink.

One of the things that's been entertaining me during this unprecedented times is the proliferation of conspiracy theories. I don't usually 'do' social media. I am what’s known as a ‘lurker’ on FaceBook - I read but I never post. As for all those Twittering InsterSnapTikToking apps – well, I have absolutely no idea and do not care what they’re for. During the lockdown however, I’ve spent a whopping amount of time on FB. Unprecedented indeed!. This is not because I am bored – my village uses FB to communicate about helpful virus related stuff so it’s important to keep your eye on it.

After I’ve read the village posts I take a wee wander onto the FB home page and, as a result, I’m afraid I’ve become quite addicted to the conspiracy theory posts. Do you have any idea how many of these theories are out there? It’s truly astonishing and I’m only looking at FB. At first there was just a trickle but over time they have become elaborate and highly imaginative. Cover-up, pharmaceutical industry, China, aliens, government control, Capitalism, Bill Gates, vaccines, SARS, laboratories, global economy, Russia, Trump, lies, climate change – all of these words and many more are now being woven together to produce incredibly complex theories that I find fascinating. Not just the theories themselves but also wondering about the kind of person the theorist is.
Anyway, the reason I’ve been banging on about conspiracy theories is because Far North, your post could also be read as a conspiracy theory. Please DO NOT be offended. I like it very much. It’s the most plausible conspiracy theory I’ve read. If it is fact then, although I’m not happy about it, I still like it because it’s simple, straightforward and easy to understand.

Does this mean that I have become a conspiracy theorist? If so, then it is truly unprecedented behavior. confused smile

Thoughts?

phoenix Mon 18-May-20 22:22:04

Thank you Furret!

I really think that the phrase physical distancing sends a more descriptive and accurate message?

Furret Mon 18-May-20 22:11:02

phoenix you are SO right. My DD and GS1 called round to drop off some flour and yeast on our doorstep. I wanted someone to see how lovely my back garden is at the moment with the clematis, laburnum, lots of gloriously coloured rhododendrons and azeleas, various flowering shrubs whose names are lost in the mists of time that is my memory these days, and so on.

So we did just as you did. I really don’t see why my family can’t visit and sit outside and shout to each other.,

phoenix Mon 18-May-20 22:04:08

Went to look at my neighbours new veg patch today, anyone watching us would have thought we were mad!

She went down the path, opened the gate, came back up, stood about 8 ft away from me.

I went down the path, looked at the raised beds while she shouted to me what was planted!

It is possible to have neighbourly interactions while staying safe!

Actually, I think I would rather we used the phrase "physical distancing" rather than "social distancing"

Linda369 Mon 18-May-20 21:54:38

My daughter lives in a seaside town, she said that Sunday was as busy as the Regatta. On Sunday our neighbours had the Son & DIL plus the 2 year old in the garden and house. They know we saw them as they made a big show of ‘stay away’ to the child, that would not have lasted. I dare say they will be out clapping Thursday. I am sure we will have another spike in 10-14 days thanks to all those flouting the rules. My daughter and I both agree we won’t be meeting for a while and fair to say we despise those doing what they want.

Seakay Mon 18-May-20 21:51:29

Have a look at the "Visiting family during lockdown" thread - huge collection of selfish and entitled people explaining that THEIR breaking of rules was entirely justifiable and so ok. No wonder we have the worst death rate in Europe.

phoenix Mon 18-May-20 20:22:10

Now local stuff, mum next door seems to be away, so daughter and boyfriend have come to stay in the house with the resident son and his girlfriend, who live there. But girlfriend was out walking around the village with 5 members of her family who had come to visit.

No one social distancing sad

Mum and visiting daughter both work in a local care home.

AlisonKF Mon 18-May-20 20:17:28

Maybe telling the section of the British populace of the self absorbed is like herding cats.

FarNorth Mon 18-May-20 20:13:37

Maybe a lot of people get their info from headlines in the press and don't bother to think about things any further than that.

"It's not safe to sit in your garden with family or the government would have said we could do it." said someone on here.
I don't find that a particularly logical statement.

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 19:41:39

Perhaps we should stay away?
And just wave from Barry.

Grandmafrench Mon 18-May-20 19:33:17

Who is "ridiculing" Weston-super-Mare, bluebird (W-s-M)?

I spent a very happy childhood there, thanks. Not sure that you have managed to follow the jokey comment regarding people from Wales..... made to someone from Wales who also was making a jokey comment. Lighten up FGS.

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 19:25:58

The lady in question was on a Dorset beach, bluebird and said she had travelled 1.5 hours to get there.

The Welsh couple were in W-s-M and I wondered how they had escaped from Wales.

It's very suitable for us, please let us come when we are let out of our incarceration.

bluebirdwsm Mon 18-May-20 19:01:10

The lady interviewed in Weston super Mare was actually a resident of the town. There are so very many homes so close to the seafront that it would be perfectly reasonable for resident to walk there as part of their permitted exercise. And the promenade so wide that social distancing would be easy to keep to.

It does not mean she had travelled miles to get there, could have been just 3-4 minutes. So unfair to judge this lady who is merely saying [as are people on here] how worried she is that the virus could go there.

A tip for people who ridicule Weston super Mare and it's mud: yes it is on a river/channel [so not 'sea'side]... find that out before you come. And if it isn't suitable for you, stay away.

GrannyLaine Mon 18-May-20 18:40:04

Nelly66 the government website is very comprehensive on the subject of transport. Like so many others, the tiny part you quote refers to the rare times when people need to car share with those from other households and is in the context of much wider advice.

Hattiehelga Mon 18-May-20 18:00:07

When they or someone close get the virus they will say in bewilderment "how did that happen?". There will be a second spike because these ignoramuses just don't want to get it. At 81 I am wondering if this is how it will be for the rest of my life.

Tallyann1 Mon 18-May-20 17:50:51

Saw that and what came to mind was ..there’s no cure for stupid ?

vegansrock Mon 18-May-20 17:40:00

I’m with those who say it’s more common sense to sit distanced in your garden with someone you know has been isolating than travel to a crowded beach and sit with dozens of people you don’t know what they’ve been doing.

Milest0ne Mon 18-May-20 17:37:04

We live in an area with lots of public footpaths.The OS is producing local maps for walkers. A neighbour has counted over 400 people in a day walking past his door so he has made another path 1m wide to keep people away from his front door. Now the path is 2 m wide as people are walking abreast.
If you have to walk through yards or gardens, please keep in single file and walk quietly. Courtesy doesn't cost anything.

Catterygirl Mon 18-May-20 17:26:27

How do they manage on these long days out for toilet breaks?

Callistemon Mon 18-May-20 17:22:12

The problem arises when every other mindless idiot thinks that they'll be the only ones on the beach.
Like Simone.

Bluecat Mon 18-May-20 17:19:18

My husband's brothers and sisters and their adult kids go in each other's houses and cars. They seem to have no sense of risk. I can tell they think he could visit too, and that I am the evil genius who is stopping him!