Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be angry with my brother over our fathers death?

(203 Posts)
Buttonjugs Thu 21-May-20 13:10:25

My dad died on Tuesday, he had been living with me for the past three years since he was living up north and began to struggle on his own. I came to regret that decision because he lived far longer than anyone thought he would and I had given up half of my house. Some background: he wasn’t a particularly nice man, had been violent towards my mother with drink and when they divorced he threatened her with violence if she didn’t sign a form to renounce her entitlement to half the house and paid her a smaller sum of money. I have two brothers, one of them came over to take him shopping once a week, the other barely saw him despite only being about fifteen miles away. I had a horrible week as he got more poorly and had the paramedics out twice before they would take him into hospital due to Covid 19, but I could see he was dying anyway so it wouldn’t make any difference. I texted my brothers and only the one who took him shopping replied. The day after he died, the brother who had barely seen him posted a status on Facebook describing him as a wonderful father and role model. He got lots of sympathy and I was furious. He also seemed to imply that there was something odd about the death. He has tried to ring me a few times but I didn’t want to speak to him so in the end I sent a text letting him have it with both barrels about why I was so angry. Was this unreasonable?

Daddima Sun 24-May-20 12:26:49

Goodness me, to keep an argument warm until next day takes real dedication ( and is no help to Buttonjugs)!

Chewbacca Sun 24-May-20 12:28:48

Anybody know what toe-jam cheese is? And is it always served with lavender and the scent of incessant urine? confused

Jane10 Sun 24-May-20 12:29:55

I think it's a sort of American manure. There's a lot of that about.

Chewbacca Sun 24-May-20 12:35:39

American manure? Really Jane10? But where do the toes and the cheese come in? confused

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 13:31:01

HolyHannah, think martyr syndrome, then go back and re-read the OP's posts-

All that self-persecution, the seeking of sympathy from family and friends, then turning up here for yet another injection of "poor you" which she received in litres-

It's evident the brother didn't want to contribute- Upon the death of his father, he created a one dimensional dream man, someone healthy and positive to model himself after, and then took what he might have thought was a camouflaged swat at his sister when he said something about the fathers death was odd-

In essence the post wasn't about his sister, which could be what pissed her off- He didn't extol her martyrdom- So she broke him, to make him smaller to fit her mold-

tickingbird Sun 24-May-20 14:08:50

It gets worse. It really is bizarre but entertaining nonetheless.

HolyHannah Sun 24-May-20 14:18:23

rosecarmel -- "In essence the post wasn't about his sister, which could be what pissed her off- He didn't extol her martyrdom." Exactly.

Also, if the roles were reversed and brother had taken care of 'dad', if he had been looking for support/sympathy for what he had done, he would get told, "You are just doing what you were supposed to do. Nobody is going to thank you for that."

OP justified her bad behavior (refusing to answer her brother's multiple calls and going off with "both barrels") by saying it was in RE-action to what he 'did'. She did something crappy and blames her behavior on him. That is the very definition of Scapegoating.

The abusers mantra -- "If I did 'it', 'it' wasn't that bad. And if it was? You deserved 'it'."

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 14:21:18

Yeah, it usually gets worse for some people- Especially when the company that goes door to door canonizing the self-perecuted as saints do a drive-by blessing with holy water and toss an honorable mention medal at them- At which point the self-persecutionist pitches a fit Herman Munster style and winds up in the dungeon, spending the rest of their days self-flagellating ..

HolyHannah Sun 24-May-20 14:28:47

Scapegoats -- The participation medal 'winners' of the family. Instead, goats should get a medal of honor or something. I didn't participate in my family... I survived them.

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 14:32:19

smile

m.youtube.com/watchv=taqzb52sgpu

Jane10 Sun 24-May-20 14:43:59

Turning a thread into one all about themselves? Hmmm ultimate narcissism. hmm!

HolyHannah Sun 24-May-20 14:59:03

Jane10 -- Would that be rosecarmel or Me? Because if you're referring to rosecarmel, "What about MEEE?!?!" and if you are calling us both Narcissists please don't. I don't like to share titles or anything else. No "good" Narcissist has an 'equal'.

Smileless2012 Sun 24-May-20 15:04:48

Is there such a thing as a "good" narcissist?

Hithere Sun 24-May-20 16:32:32

Narcissism is an spectrum.

There are some healthy narcissistic traits.

Smileless2012 Sun 24-May-20 17:33:58

Yes there are but when someone is referred too as being a narcissist it's because they're viewed as having the unhealthy traits and not just the healthy ones.

tickingbird Sun 24-May-20 18:22:16

Off your respective trollies springs to mind.

Buttonjugs I hope this has made you smile as much as it has me.

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 18:22:39

Jane10, if contributing to threads is narcissistic, who isn't guilty?

Jane10 Sun 24-May-20 18:28:10

Contributing is one thing, blindly and persisting in pursuing an irrelevant point is another. Makes one wonder about the poster.
I'm glad that the OP and her brother are reconciled which is the main thing. I'll leave you to your daft rantings.

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 18:28:57

birds of a feather ..

Those with similar interests congregate .. and participate ..

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 18:31:06

I see, irrelevant and daft because you disagree ..

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 18:32:43

She doesn't even like her brother, yet he apologized-

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 18:35:11

I continue to post and I'm daft, but if you continue to, it makes complete sense?

Starblaze Sun 24-May-20 18:45:37

The three of you have been raised by a difficult and abusive man. Grief is a complex thing that will manifest in ways that aren't always in character. It's quite normal for some to want to normalise abusive parents and see the good, especially in death. Your father sounds like the sort of person who would be happy to hear his children had fallen out.

Even if you make the decision that that relationship isn't worth saving, don't let it destroy you and become bitter sending angry hate mail. It won't do you any good in the long run. What we allow is what will continue, from others behaviour but especially our own.

Summerlove Mon 25-May-20 12:27:32

I’m not sure I understand which part of the Facebook post offended you the most buttonjugs, I see many different posters deciding which part is the most offensive, but I haven’t seen if you have clarified.

The reason I am asking, is that my thoughts and advice would change depending on which part it was.

As your brother has apologised, I do hope it was a truthful one and not one just to appease you. I hope you can continue to grow your relationship

EMMF1948 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:36:44

Am I alone in thinking that a 'grieving' person is totally classless if their first response is to eulogise themself on social media?