Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect DH to have common sense?

(112 Posts)
Quizzer Thu 21-May-20 15:56:25

Lovely warm day and I returned from my walk to find that DH had opened the door from our kitchen to conservatory "to get some air into the kitchen" The k. does have its own windows, which were shut. The temperature in the conservatory was almost 40C (104F) and consequently the temp in the k. was over 30C and rising! In the winter he leaves the same door open and all the warmth of the k. escapes into the unheated conservatory. I have tried locking him out there but he still does constantly. angry

Grandad1943 Sat 23-May-20 12:15:23

Luckylegs I had been working since 7am this morning and had just finished that and looked in on this forum when I noticed your post.

However, the tone of your two above posts seems to indicate that you are very disturbed. Therefore can I suggest that you calm down somewhat. After all this is only a discussion forum with nothing at stake but forum members assertions being correct or incorect in the view of others.

Sadly, I feel that your assertions are very incorrect at present. ?

Rufus2 Sat 23-May-20 12:05:40

. I wonder who she was referring too then
Grandad We don't know! She won't say, but it can't be me! grin I've been rendered (almost) speechless at not finding my name once in 4 pages of this Punch and Judys' show.!
Welbeck Thanks for relegating me and a couple of other Grandads I can think of to the sub-category of "etc" hmm

Parts of this thread remind me of the old saying "Marry in Haste, Repent at Leisure" Still true! grin
Good Health and "Lighten Up!"
OoRoo

Luckylegs Sat 23-May-20 11:37:02

Yes, isn’t it a shame that a lovely comfortable chat should have been hijacked like this, GrannyGravy13? Never mind, let’s all rise above it. Anyone have any stories?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-May-20 11:33:36

This is going well..........not!!!

Luckylegs Sat 23-May-20 11:25:56

Posted within seconds of my post. Only looks occasionally?

Grandad1943 Sat 23-May-20 11:21:10

Oh dear, Luckylegs is upset. I wonder who she was referring too then , if not me in her posts on this thread. ????

Luckylegs Sat 23-May-20 11:14:24

It obviously doesn’t matter one jot how old a poster is, their gender or anything, what bothers me is the continual repetitive complaining downbeat response to any lighthearted enjoyable thread. Just change the record, get a sense of humour and try very hard not to suppress posters who are trying to raise all our spirits in a lighthearted way.

I’m wasting my time here anyway, it’s pointless. We all know that, as soon as we’re all enjoying a thread, along will come the big bad wolf to flatten us all. I am, though, heartened by the members who obviously are totally in agreement with my remarks.

By the way, why does Grandad1943 have such a high opinion of himself to imagine I was referring to him?

welbeck Fri 22-May-20 22:31:41

when i log on, it says that this site is for the over 50s.
no mention of having to be a parent, let alone a grandparent, and certainly no gender preference.
and i know under 50s are also welcome, do contribute, and add to the rich mix.
i find this sex discrimination totally unacceptable.
i would welcome more men on this site.
everyone is equal and their contributions equally valid, unless they infringe the guidelines, which are just common sense and decent behaviour.
bravo Grandad 1943, Grumppa, etc.

Tulabelle Fri 22-May-20 20:46:48

Very true. But we surely love you all dearly. Without you, who would we moan about? ??

Marthjolly1 Fri 22-May-20 19:39:57

Oh dear Grandad. Yawn ..... what is your particular sense of humour I wonder ..... have you ever really has a good laugh.

Marydoll Fri 22-May-20 19:39:36

Contrary to what some posters seem to think, Gransnet is inclusive and welcomes male and female members.
Perhaps Nannan2, you haven't familiarised yourself with the ethos of the site.

Gransnet is the busiest social networking site for the over 50s. Launched in May 2011, the site has been described by the Telegraph as "a new dawn in grey power".

At its heart is a buzzing forum where users debate the hot topics of the day, support each other through tough times and share a laugh. Brimming with useful content covering everything from fashion to food, travel to technology, as well as competitions and an incredibly popular book club, there is something on the site for everyone.

I may not always agree with you Grandad1943, but you have as much right to contribute to threads as anyone else.
We have sparred in the past, but have always tried to remain civil to each other.
I don't understand this need for some posters to rant and be unpleasant.
Isn't life hard enough just now?

We actually need more males on here to give a wider range of opinions.

Grandad1943 Fri 22-May-20 18:49:00

Luckylegs, in regard to your post @17:16 today, it may well be that your grandad comments are intended for my direction. I judge that by way of yourself being involved in a thread that I had not even made a post on and yet held very disparaging comments about myself and my wife who has never made a post on this forum.

Therefore to state that all comments on husbands, partners and men in general on this forum are "all light hearted" is very far from the truth as those that take part in making such remarks very well realise. They are in fact comments made behind people's backs which illustrates large inadequacies in the persons who carry out such actions as being involved in the above mentioned thread that spoke on me and my wife so well demonstrated.

What I did find amusing however, was that one or two who took part in the above thread action then were prominent on the "An awful lot of nastiness these days, don’t you think" thread in which they joined in decrying such posts as that which they had made against me and my wife,

In regard to your statement that "it seems as if he is just waiting to jump on any post which doesn’t meet his approval", if you look at my post-activity you will see that in general I often post first thing in the morning and then again when I finish work late afternoon. I may occasionally make a post during a coffee break while working but that does not happen on a regular basis.

In regard to the comment on being reprimanded by GNHQ for being personal in your posts, then the remedy for that is quite simple and straightforward forward. That remedy would be, do not get personal with people.

With all the above in mind be assured I will be remaining and making posts on this forum, so there is no need for you to blow a gasket on viewing my posts and resorting to personal remarks, as there will be many more such posts to follow.

DanniRae Fri 22-May-20 17:40:16

Well said Luckylegs I couldn't agree more!

Luckylegs Fri 22-May-20 17:16:51

There have been many posts in the past spoilt by one particular grandad in my opinion and I have nearly blown a gasket at him for his continuous jumping on a perfectly pleasant lighthearted post which we are all enjoying on GRANSnet and starting the same old, same old “well, if you’re all so perfect rant etc etc”.

I had hoped he would quietly leave the site and leave us all to our so annoying (to him) posts about our husbands. So much so, I got reprimanded from HQ for being personal. I just sigh very heavily now when I see the usual posts from him. If he’s so busy and essential to his firm’s success, I wonder at him having the time to look on this frivolous site at all. Especially when it seems as if he’s just waiting to jump on any post which doesn’t meet his approval.

I know what’s going to happen now but I am really really fed up of his continual refrain. If we want to moan about our husbands, so what? As someone else has said, they have a jolly good moan about us when they get together! That’s life!

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 17:07:20

It's ok Saggi I know how to get my own back.
Leave the lights on, go on GN, there must be more.

Saggi Fri 22-May-20 17:05:50

None of you seem to ‘get ‘men at all....they do these stupid things for one reason only ....to annoy us and to get us to rant and rave at them. They enjoy watching us fume! Answer surely is: dont get annoyed!!

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 16:17:37

Mine does put the hosepipe away grin

But for some reason he can't shut a drawer.
However, he does turn out lights, it's me who doesn't do that.

Marthjolly1 Fri 22-May-20 15:53:22

Goodness me. What was clearly meant as a very simple, lighthearted take on everyday life, as it surely must be in most households, has turned into a rumbling, grumbling, moaning from people who I think have lost their sense of humour. Anyway, my darling OH can never close a door or turn out a light. I just quietly do it. And I drive him nuts always tidying as I'm a place for everything and everything in its place kinda girl. He doesnt complain. Neither is the loo seat an issue, I always leave it down, he always leaves it up so we both have to put it right when we need to use it. I've never understood why it should be an issue.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 15:40:42

Re the Naval estates, I don't understand the difference that occurred when father was home on leave. Did the children stay off school then because they had missed their fathers for months? Possibly understandable.

Am I missing something?

Jillybird Fri 22-May-20 14:42:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chardy Fri 22-May-20 13:52:52

I referred to an ordinary estate where the Navy owned a lot of houses, and so local schools had quite a few pupils who only stayed in the area for a cooperatively short while (maybe 2 or 3 years) before living in a similar place somewhere else. And another Navy family moved into their house.

Jane10 Fri 22-May-20 13:51:03

I've often enjoyed the contributions from Grandads on here. However, I don't appreciate being told what we can and can't say about our DHs on an anonymous public forum by one of them.

Chardy Fri 22-May-20 13:40:39

Rosina, men and women do prefer different temperatures (research by Caroline Criado Perez 'Invisible Women')

annodomini Fri 22-May-20 13:25:08

grumppa, I have always appreciated your contributions to our forums. I can assure you that most of us are not 'man-haters'. Gransnet is - and has always been - intended to be, gender-neutral and the name does not, as might be inferred from Nannan2's post, signify grandmother /grandfather, but grandparent.

Sussexborn Fri 22-May-20 13:11:10

PS. My OH hates Frozen with a vengeance!