Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect DH to have common sense?

(112 Posts)
Quizzer Thu 21-May-20 15:56:25

Lovely warm day and I returned from my walk to find that DH had opened the door from our kitchen to conservatory "to get some air into the kitchen" The k. does have its own windows, which were shut. The temperature in the conservatory was almost 40C (104F) and consequently the temp in the k. was over 30C and rising! In the winter he leaves the same door open and all the warmth of the k. escapes into the unheated conservatory. I have tried locking him out there but he still does constantly. angry

Marydoll Fri 22-May-20 19:39:36

Contrary to what some posters seem to think, Gransnet is inclusive and welcomes male and female members.
Perhaps Nannan2, you haven't familiarised yourself with the ethos of the site.

Gransnet is the busiest social networking site for the over 50s. Launched in May 2011, the site has been described by the Telegraph as "a new dawn in grey power".

At its heart is a buzzing forum where users debate the hot topics of the day, support each other through tough times and share a laugh. Brimming with useful content covering everything from fashion to food, travel to technology, as well as competitions and an incredibly popular book club, there is something on the site for everyone.

I may not always agree with you Grandad1943, but you have as much right to contribute to threads as anyone else.
We have sparred in the past, but have always tried to remain civil to each other.
I don't understand this need for some posters to rant and be unpleasant.
Isn't life hard enough just now?

We actually need more males on here to give a wider range of opinions.

Marthjolly1 Fri 22-May-20 19:39:57

Oh dear Grandad. Yawn ..... what is your particular sense of humour I wonder ..... have you ever really has a good laugh.

Tulabelle Fri 22-May-20 20:46:48

Very true. But we surely love you all dearly. Without you, who would we moan about? ??

welbeck Fri 22-May-20 22:31:41

when i log on, it says that this site is for the over 50s.
no mention of having to be a parent, let alone a grandparent, and certainly no gender preference.
and i know under 50s are also welcome, do contribute, and add to the rich mix.
i find this sex discrimination totally unacceptable.
i would welcome more men on this site.
everyone is equal and their contributions equally valid, unless they infringe the guidelines, which are just common sense and decent behaviour.
bravo Grandad 1943, Grumppa, etc.

Luckylegs Sat 23-May-20 11:14:24

It obviously doesn’t matter one jot how old a poster is, their gender or anything, what bothers me is the continual repetitive complaining downbeat response to any lighthearted enjoyable thread. Just change the record, get a sense of humour and try very hard not to suppress posters who are trying to raise all our spirits in a lighthearted way.

I’m wasting my time here anyway, it’s pointless. We all know that, as soon as we’re all enjoying a thread, along will come the big bad wolf to flatten us all. I am, though, heartened by the members who obviously are totally in agreement with my remarks.

By the way, why does Grandad1943 have such a high opinion of himself to imagine I was referring to him?

Grandad1943 Sat 23-May-20 11:21:10

Oh dear, Luckylegs is upset. I wonder who she was referring too then , if not me in her posts on this thread. ????

Luckylegs Sat 23-May-20 11:25:56

Posted within seconds of my post. Only looks occasionally?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 23-May-20 11:33:36

This is going well..........not!!!

Luckylegs Sat 23-May-20 11:37:02

Yes, isn’t it a shame that a lovely comfortable chat should have been hijacked like this, GrannyGravy13? Never mind, let’s all rise above it. Anyone have any stories?

Rufus2 Sat 23-May-20 12:05:40

. I wonder who she was referring too then
Grandad We don't know! She won't say, but it can't be me! grin I've been rendered (almost) speechless at not finding my name once in 4 pages of this Punch and Judys' show.!
Welbeck Thanks for relegating me and a couple of other Grandads I can think of to the sub-category of "etc" hmm

Parts of this thread remind me of the old saying "Marry in Haste, Repent at Leisure" Still true! grin
Good Health and "Lighten Up!"
OoRoo

Grandad1943 Sat 23-May-20 12:15:23

Luckylegs I had been working since 7am this morning and had just finished that and looked in on this forum when I noticed your post.

However, the tone of your two above posts seems to indicate that you are very disturbed. Therefore can I suggest that you calm down somewhat. After all this is only a discussion forum with nothing at stake but forum members assertions being correct or incorect in the view of others.

Sadly, I feel that your assertions are very incorrect at present. ?

Grandad1943 Sat 23-May-20 12:23:30

Rufus2, luckylegs seems to indicate that it was not me she was referring to in her post @11:14 today. So, if it was not you (as I believed) who ever could it be.

Grumpa is the only other grandad mentioned in this thread, could it be him?

If so what did he say to cause so much "kerfuffle".

Rufus2 Sat 23-May-20 13:23:40

If so what did he say to cause so much "kerfuffle".
Grandad You should know by now that you don't have to say anything. grin
Cheers

May7 Sat 23-May-20 14:18:40

Anyway.......
Getting back to the original humourous tongue in cheek post
No you are not being unreasonable but sometimes common sense just flies out of the window for both sexes doesnt it.
This thread has made me chuckle though

BelindaB Mon 25-May-20 11:51:51

Oh dear God. When I read stuff like this I am just so glad I'm a widow.....

DanniRae Mon 25-May-20 14:46:29

Steady on Belinda...........!!

Puzzled Fri 26-Jun-20 17:35:46

Just take it as read that most of the time, no husband has any common sense.
And vice versa.
On that basis we all make allowances and can get along together.

Lucca Fri 26-Jun-20 17:50:23

Nannan2

I suggest NONE of us fall for his ploy and even bother answering this belligerent old man- i for one will ignore his rantings.. He's wrong also that in 'law' he does not have right to be here as equality act does allow for the commonsense of such groups being intended for the purpose of such usage by each 'sex' in first place.wink Equality act is intended for jobs& employment which can of course be done by either sex,BUT a man is still a GranDAD & a grandma or grandmother Is still a grandMA, grandMOTHER,or grandMUM OR GRAN- i.e NOT A MAN OR MALE OR grandPA! I hope your clear now.grin

Honestly, I don’t understand a word of this.

Lucca Fri 26-Jun-20 17:53:28

Grandad I think you have been unfairly “attacked “ on here .
Whilst I do feel you should resist the urge to rise to the bait when you see the threads about “my silly OH”, you have as much right as anyone, male female or neither, to express your opinions.
(And i say this as someone who disagrees violently with your views on return to school !!)

Grandad1943 Fri 26-Jun-20 18:37:19

Many thanks for your Lucca for your post @17:53 today and I have not gone back over this month old thread. In that, I really cannot make sense of the Nannan2 above "incoherent rant" so I will just let it go.

Anyway, Lucca it is nice to know that the likes of us can disagree on this forum with respect.

Again many thanks.

Lucca Fri 26-Jun-20 18:41:18

Actually I hadn’t realised it was an old thread !!

Grandad1943 Fri 26-Jun-20 18:51:02

Lucca never mind, I will start a thread with a highly provocative title about teachers just so we can have a real head to head. ????

Callistemon Fri 26-Jun-20 19:41:14

Yes, but only female teachers Grandad

For the record, we've had doors and windows open today and curtains closed upstairs. There was quite a breeze and doors did keep banging until we found the doorstops.

Grandad1943 Fri 26-Jun-20 20:07:30

Callistemon

Yes, but only female teachers Grandad

For the record, we've had doors and windows open today and curtains closed upstairs. There was quite a breeze and doors did keep banging until we found the doorstops.

Callistemon, the thread I shall start in regard to teachers will be equally abusive to both genders of that profession. Equality will be given absolute priority in any thread I open. ??

It has been really nice here in North Somerset today with a comfortable warmth which was great as I have been on a day off prior to working over the weekend.

Just lovely.

lemongrove Fri 26-Jun-20 22:16:40

Phew! What a scorcher.?
Don’t any of you grandads refer to your better halves as ‘She who must be obeyed’ then? ?
Doodledog I liked your little ditty and am singing it right now.