Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can you bear the thought of being touched again by a stranger

(86 Posts)
Totallylost Thu 28-May-20 11:21:58

Ive had a text this morning from my massage therapist saying she’s hoping to be up and running again by July , I’m not sure how i feel about it, any thoughts anyone

Totallylost Thu 28-May-20 19:25:40

Thanks everyone

grannysyb Thu 28-May-20 19:34:28

Did my toenails very badly the other day. Hope I can get them done properly in a couple of months. I was given a facial and massage voucher by DH at Christmas, luckily they don't expire until December,will definitely use them by then.

MadCatWoman1 Thu 28-May-20 20:06:25

I'm not at all worried. For all this time, I haven't personally felt worried that I might get Covid-19.

SueH49 Fri 29-May-20 06:21:34

I've been regularly going to my podiatrist and physiotherapist all through this as they have been operating as usual here. I have no issue with seeing either, both take, I believe, good precautions and IMO the benefit outweighs the risk.

BlueBelle Fri 29-May-20 06:48:56

How quickly some of you have been conditioned
I cant wait to see friends and have a hug I can live without but I felt strange yesterday going for a walk with a friend and not having a hello or goodbye hug, some friends I don’t hug indeed one of my best friend is not a hugger and you soon realise who is and who isn’t
Ita not just about hugs though I m so looking forward to putting a hand out to touch an arm or give a hand to someone struggling or touch a child’s hand Touch is incredible important and I fear for little children learning not to touch, it could be damaging for life
sueH out of curiosity which country do you live in ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 29-May-20 07:39:09

I'm looking forward to seeing the dentist and getting my teeth sorted, hopefully once and for all but not the procedure itself IYSWIM. I've had a gum full of ironmongery for months and need the implants fitting. Thankfully not in pain and there are plenty in my position or worse off.
The hairdresser - in time. My hair which was in a pixie style grew out and really lost its shape so it was out with the dressmaking scissors and if I say so myself it doesn't look too bad but needs a professional to shape it properly.
Touching and feeling cared for is perhaps more important than we realised and we didn't know we'd miss it until it wasn't allowed - but can we ever go back to what it was?

Witzend Fri 29-May-20 08:34:23

Although I’m quite touchy-feely with family, I’ve never been a fan of huggy-kissy stuff with friends, unless very close, let alone relative strangers.

Being mauled about by strangers has never appealed, so I’ve never wanted massages - dds know very well never to give me spa day vouchers as gifts. And I hate anyone touching my feet, so I always do my own pedicures anyway - which reminds me, it’s time for another! Exposed, unkempt-looking feet are one thing I do try to avoid.

Floradora9 Fri 29-May-20 09:01:19

Not a huggy person in the first place but GC are the exception they can hug me anytime . Not much chance of this in the near future as we live in different parts of the UK.

annifrance Fri 29-May-20 09:02:32

Not worried at all being touched by one and all within reason, especially professionals. However I will desist from the traditional French Bises for sometime yet. That will also save time!

Gingergirl Fri 29-May-20 09:05:21

It’s a personal thing. I understand exactly why some therapists are eager to get back to work, but if it doesn’t feel right for you, I wouldn’t go. I have some dental work that needs doing really soon but I’m still not keeping my June appointment. I also have regular body work therapy and won’t be resuming that for a few months either. I just wouldn’t relax in either situation so don’t see the point.

Hawera1 Fri 29-May-20 09:22:15

Personally I like my hugs. I think you can make friends by hugging people. I wasn't a hugger growing up but try and stop me now. I'm making up for lost time. My two year old grandson gives beautiful hugs unlike his father at the same age.

Elijah Fri 29-May-20 09:41:41

I have never liked being touch by anyone so the thought of people being allowed to hug again is a nightmare fore me!

Jill0753 Fri 29-May-20 09:53:18

I’m missing the hugs too although like many I wasn’t brought up as a hugger. I went for my first socially distanced walk on Monday and found it hard that I couldn’t give my friend a hug. I’ve come to the conclusion that touch is more important to me than I had realised - the touch on someone’s arm to let them know that you understand, the joyous hug from a grandchild or child. My son lives in Australia and after he went it became quite apparent that l missed being able to reach out and touch him. I can see him on FaceTime but it’s a two dimensional experience. Haven’t missed some of those awkward social hugs though.

polnan Fri 29-May-20 09:53:57

Bluebelle , thanks for that, yes, I have been conditioned,, finding the thought of going out,, ARGH!
would love a haircut, lady used to come to me,, but,,, don`t think so, letting my hair grow long!!

would love to find a chiropodist who can come to me, but ARGH

need work doing in the house and outside,, but ARGH!!

I am thoroughly conditioned,, I was thinking I was brain washed..

leeds22 Fri 29-May-20 09:57:11

I'm hoping all this hugging and kissing amongst friends dies out too. My two best friends and I never hug and kiss and we get along just fine.
Nervously looking forward to visiting dentist, hairdresser and podiatrist but will be wearing a mask.

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 29-May-20 10:05:09

I will avoid shaking hands ever again.
I never liked it in the first place, so now is the ideal reason to say NO, when a hand is offered, without causing offence.

I would love for my dentist to open again, as l have a long overdue checkup. I really really don't want dental problems starting just now.......!! So they can touch me all they want. ?

henetha Fri 29-May-20 10:13:46

I used to like hugs but definitely won't for a very long time now.

Aepgirl Fri 29-May-20 10:24:42

I’m really hoping that when things return to ‘normal’ it will have stopped all this hugging and kissing in church during ‘The Peace’, and also stop footballers leaping on top of each other.

Lynnabelle Fri 29-May-20 10:25:28

Deeda
Brings in mind an incident many years ago. I perform echocardiograms and had performed one on an inpatient one morning. My colleagues went along to the same patient in the afternoon to perform an ecg. The patients wife was visiting him and he said “ not as good as test this morning. A young lady but jelly all over my chest then rubbed her breast over me.” His wife nearly died of shock. ( I hasten to add I did not rub my breast over him just the probe , however I will admit to being in very close contact during the procedures) why I’m not working at present, impossible to social distance. smile

Craftycat Fri 29-May-20 10:30:37

My hairdresser can hug me all she wants if she can do something with my unruly hair when we finally get to meet again
To be fair she is a friend & always hugs me.

Davida1968 Fri 29-May-20 10:34:51

I shall be so glad when I can see my lovely massage lass again. (A properly qualified therapeutic masseur.) She was helping me with a lot of aches and pains, and I really miss this support.

NannyG123 Fri 29-May-20 10:35:55

I saw someone i know yesterday when out walking, who had lost her mum about 6 weeks ago. We spoke from a distance, I expressed my condolences as I knew her mum. Obviously she got tearful, I would have desperately liked to have given her a cuddle, as she said she couldn't see her dad, who lives a little distance away and give him a hug.

NemosMum Fri 29-May-20 10:42:12

I'd love a hug from my family, but I'm with those who say I'd be glad to drop the MWAH MWAH continental kissing. Not so much from fear of the virus, but just because I'm sick of people I've only just been introduced to leaning in for a hug. I mean - really? I don't know you!

Speldnan Fri 29-May-20 10:42:13

Never did like being touched by strangers anyway so it suits me fine- can just about tolerate my hairdresser.

sue01 Fri 29-May-20 11:39:13

Deedaa - same happened to me - could even have been the same chap from your description !! When he clambered off, I said to him... I take it we're now engaged !!