Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can you bear the thought of being touched again by a stranger

(85 Posts)
Totallylost Thu 28-May-20 11:21:58

Ive had a text this morning from my massage therapist saying she’s hoping to be up and running again by July , I’m not sure how i feel about it, any thoughts anyone

Oldbutstilluseful Thu 28-May-20 11:35:58

Like so many of us, I haven’t physically touched another person for over 2 months. I’m fine with it. I live alone so am used to having the occasional hug, but am now looking forward to hugging my family, eventually. However, the thought of a massage is bliss. If the therapist has put all the necessary safeguards in place, I’d be there like a shot!

ginny Thu 28-May-20 11:42:35

Dentists ,hairdressers and the line will be fine. I just hope the hugging and kissing by people who are almost strangers will stop. A handshake and or a smile will do nicely thank you. I’ll save my hugs, kisses and touches for those I love .

Totallylost Thu 28-May-20 12:12:43

Thanks OLDBUTUSEFUL, I wasn’t sure if I was being selfish considering having one

Luckygirl Thu 28-May-20 12:16:00

I will be happy to be hugged by anybody! - just anybody!!!!

Form an orderly queue! grin

TrendyNannie6 Thu 28-May-20 12:22:42

??luckygirl

travelsafar Thu 28-May-20 12:23:53

I would love to have my feet touched by a chiropodist!!! smile Seriously though why can't they re open.
They would be sat at the end of your body, hopefully dressed in appropriate gear, they could even put a small screen up like surgeons do when doing operations on those who are awake, likewise those who do pedicures. Not so sure about manicurists though thats a bit too near people's heads and involves touching hands, even with gloves on. Just a thought.

annodomini Thu 28-May-20 12:56:27

I am hoping for an appointment with my dentist. And I will be making appointments at my hairdresser's and my local salon. None of the above are strangers.

MerylStreep Thu 28-May-20 13:10:15

Not in the least. If my masseuse, nail technician was open tomorrow I'd be there like a shot. But I've never been frightened, worried, anxious about the virus.

DanniRae Thu 28-May-20 13:31:23

I'd be fine about it!

Newatthis Thu 28-May-20 14:00:41

What about those still on the dating scene - I think this is a little bit scary for those. I wouldn't like to start a new relationship at the moment.

Sardinia2020 Thu 28-May-20 14:32:33

I wonder whether people will ever get back to shaking hands? Certainly doesn’t appeal to me anymore.

Chewbacca Thu 28-May-20 14:50:12

Without the risk of being hugged and kissed by complete strangers, I just might consider going out on New Year's Eve again.

May7 Thu 28-May-20 14:54:24

Ha ha chewbacca I feel exactly the same about NYE.

allium Thu 28-May-20 14:57:23

No problem, will go to hairdresser as soon as they open. Would go the beauty therapist too.

harrigran Thu 28-May-20 15:16:12

No way, I am not even hugging DH, and I won't be shaking hands with anyone other than my consultant who is scrupulous with his hand washing.
I am sitting on my terrace watching the neighbours totally disregarding any distancing.

grandMattie Thu 28-May-20 15:25:26

I liked being hugged and “mwah” kissed by those I love. Not sure with people I don’t know (ditto for total strangers calling me by my first name).
Curiously, my chiropodist is coming to me tomorrow, rather than me going to her. First time in ???? months. Toenails a disgrace.
Other than that, no, I don’t mind bumping into people or whatever... As long as my personal space isn’t invaded.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-May-20 15:40:08

I can’t wait to see my podiatrist when that appointment to sort out my ugly black toenail can be reinstated. I was hoping to have feet fit to be seen this Summer. Not that many people are going to have to suffer it.

janeainsworth Thu 28-May-20 15:42:55

Maggie Very dark purple nail varnish?

GrandmaMoira Thu 28-May-20 15:49:47

Podiatrists/chiropodists have been allowed to open for the last couple of weeks. Mine phoned me to ask if I wanted an appointment.

sharon103 Thu 28-May-20 16:01:34

You can make your mind up in July if she opens up. See what the situation is then. You've still got a month yet to decide.
I think I'll been picking and choosing where I go for the rest of this year though.

Kalu Thu 28-May-20 16:13:13

I have been doing some stretch exercises, mainly stretching down touching my toes. I’m just about there in an effort to do my toenails?

shysal Thu 28-May-20 16:22:30

I am not a touch-feely person, so if hugging strangers never happens again it is OK with me. And as for having my feet touched - I can't stand it! I even hate doing my own.

Maggiemaybe Thu 28-May-20 18:03:14

Very dark purple nail varnish?

I’ve actually found some at the bottom of a drawer, janea! Much to my own surprise!

I’ll check if my podiatrist’s open again before I slap it on.

Deedaa Thu 28-May-20 19:22:34

A couple of years ago I had an echocardiogram. it was done by a tiny Malayan technician. I was stripped to the waist and he literally had to crawl all over me to get a complete picture. It struck me that I had never had such sexless contact with a man!

I thoroughly enjoyed the hug I shared with the consultant after DH died!