Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think " belly" is a horrid, ugly word!

(136 Posts)
phoenix Sun 31-May-20 20:44:39

Just seen the new advertisement for Pampers nappies, used the word "belly"!

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

What's wrong with (in the context of babies nappies) "tummy" or stomach?

The only time I would use the word "belly" would be when referring to a cut of pork, as tummy of pork is just silly!

Hearing someone say to a grizzling child "have you got a belly ache?" Just makes me cringe!

wonder if it's just me?

MissTree Mon 01-Jun-20 17:52:27

I have no idea why I dislike the word belly in some contexts but not in all. I mean bellyaching accurately describes some moaners to me and I don’t mind it then . At primary school we had a rude rhyme, ‘ Richard Kelly has a rhubarb belly ‘.
( Don’t ask. No idea . )
As someone said, it must be the feelings that are invoked that make you shudder as if you’ve said a rude word. Is that it ?
As a teenager I would wonder about why you could say duck but not the f word that rhymes with it. Swearing is such an interesting topic of its own.
I use ‘tummy ache’ even now if I get one. And the incorrect use of vagina bugs me . I don’t like ‘panties’ but not massively keen on ‘knickers’ . My daughter hated ‘moist’ but that isn’t one of mine. But gusset is an ugly word in my opinion as is the c word.
Really thought provoking thread, Phoenix .

GrannyLaine Mon 01-Jun-20 19:11:18

I have always disliked the word 'casual'.

But I really like the term 'bellyaching' to describe someone who is grumbling excessively. grin

BlueBelle Mon 01-Jun-20 19:25:38

I suppose the people who have ‘tummy buttons’ also do wee wees and poo poos ...isn’t it baby talk
I can’t imagine what’s wrong with ‘moist‘ you have a nice moist cake Surely you don’t all imagine knickers if you hear the word moist You ve all got amazing minds

Oopsminty Mon 01-Jun-20 19:26:23

Tummy is not baby talk

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 19:31:31

grin

Bluebelle

MadCatWoman1 Mon 01-Jun-20 20:22:43

I dislike the word BELLY too. I also dislike:

tummy, gusset, boobs (silly), willy, bonking (for sex), titties and fart.

kittylester Mon 01-Jun-20 21:00:21

On our way into town we have to go over a tummy bridge!

phoenix Mon 01-Jun-20 21:12:59

Just watching a hospital programme on Channel 5, consultant said to the patient "We're just going to examine your tummy".

Good enough for an NHS consultant.......

BAGGYGRANNY Mon 01-Jun-20 21:18:47

I'm with you gillybob!
Bum
Willy etc

Oopsminty Mon 01-Jun-20 21:27:11

Yep, phoenix

Tummy is used by consultants, doctors etcetc

I wouldn't be calling them babyish

I can't imagine a doctor asking to feel my belly!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:05:03

My doc says belly, and so did my daughters.
Should we report them, do you think? smile

Oopsminty Mon 01-Jun-20 22:07:34

I just can't imagine a doctor ever saying the word belly!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:10:52

youtu.be/_uFQJ94szS8

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:18:20

youtu.be/YvqSzbGeWYM

gulligranny Mon 01-Jun-20 22:27:49

"Gusset" - now there's a word! Reminds me of my nan's Directoire knickers, which were voluminous and seemed to be gathered just above the knee ...

I don't mind "bum" but I don't like "buttocks". or "crotch". I can take or leave "belly", it doesn't bother me too much.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:41:36

grin

I've just remembered a rather fraught situation with my mum.

She ended up shouting "Buttocks, buttocks, buttocks!" at me as I was flouncing off.

ValerieF Mon 01-Jun-20 22:43:07

OMG...am so not with most of us Gransnetters lol. Would never ever be upset by the use of Belly in whatever description. I think I must live in an uncouth world where lots of other words may cause me to take an intake of breath but can say absolutely definitely 'belly' is not one of them!

May7 Mon 01-Jun-20 23:24:25

Belly is fine with me but my favourite is Tits as in "You get on my tits" but the word I hate most is bitch , and I cringe when anyone uses it. It's such a put down either to describe a woman or in some cases as I've seen on Gransnet recently to describe yourself.
In a book club we read aloud and many participants choke on swear words but will read the word bitch quite happily. Not for me I'm afraid

Hetty58 Mon 01-Jun-20 23:42:02

ValerieF, I think you live in the real world (rather than an uncouth one) and not the hysterically funny, bizarre GN world - where oversensitive pearl clutchers are offended by the use of a perfectly normal word! How on Earth do they manage when a real problem occurs?

Sparkling Tue 02-Jun-20 05:06:47

Would never use the word belly only in dancing or pork. The word is tummy. My mother wouldn't use it and it makes me cringe just like people saying fart, there again I was bought up in a house people on tv and radio seem obsessed with that word. I've managed all my life quite well without using either belly or f. Apart from the odd expletive I dislike swearing too. That add that states a little wee won't alter me makes me cringe each time it's on. Definitely won't be getting those.

HolyHannah Tue 02-Jun-20 05:35:26

ValarieF said, "I think I must live in an uncouth world where lots of other words may cause me to take an intake of breath but can say absolutely definitely 'belly' is not one of them!"

I must live in a messed up world as well. Words like "belly" and "moist" get some peoples panties in a knot?

I swear like a sailor, so the 'F'-word is non-offensive to Me.

I save my hate for words that are hateful.

Alima Tue 02-Jun-20 05:36:15

Belly is ugly.
Tummy is so, so twee, makes me want to vomit if adults use that word.
Bum is fine, earthy and bumbalicious.

CorneliaStreet Tue 02-Jun-20 05:47:14

I don't mind belly, more than that, I used to be belly dancer, haha!

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jun-20 06:11:31

I find this so weird that normal everyday words can initiate such dislike in some people There is only one word I find repulsive and that’s the c word so willy tits bum belly and moist pants to all petty wordsmiths ???

Furret Tue 02-Jun-20 07:49:11

BB my thoughts exactly.