Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think " belly" is a horrid, ugly word!

(136 Posts)
phoenix Sun 31-May-20 20:44:39

Just seen the new advertisement for Pampers nappies, used the word "belly"!

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

What's wrong with (in the context of babies nappies) "tummy" or stomach?

The only time I would use the word "belly" would be when referring to a cut of pork, as tummy of pork is just silly!

Hearing someone say to a grizzling child "have you got a belly ache?" Just makes me cringe!

wonder if it's just me?

starlily106 Tue 30-Jun-20 10:57:06

I dont mind belly, but I hate the word f*rt. I cringe whenever someone says it, couldnt even bring myself to write the full word

Shelmiss Tue 02-Jun-20 13:46:46

It’s an urban myth trisher that the Victorians covered up piano legs.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jun-20 13:44:00

Not so misstree posters have sad they hate it they cringe when they hear it used and that they were never allowed to use it that’s a bit stronger than a simple opinion

Whatever anyone says I think it’s a class thing

trisher Tue 02-Jun-20 12:41:13

Well I think it's your "belly button", but you always get a "tummy ache" so I'm just confused.
My mother never swore and had words she thought ladies didn't use, but she was born in the 1920s and times change. After all the Victorians used to cover up piano legs, now when some girls dress to go out they barely cover anything.

sodapop Tue 02-Jun-20 12:26:47

I agree MissTree no need for people to get their panties in a knot. grin

GrandmasueUK Tue 02-Jun-20 12:07:46

A friend of ours once mentioned something about a belly to my small son. I said he probably wouldn't know what she meant, as we usually said tummy.

A while later she gave him a treat and asked him to put the wrapper in the bin. Horrified, she then turned to me and said, 'Is that what you call it?' I have no idea how posh she thought we were, and yes we did call it a bin! grin

grandtanteJE65 Tue 02-Jun-20 11:56:00

Actually, Oopsminty, she was probably reasurring you that she couldn't feel any tension, which could be caused by a grumbling appendix or a tumour.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 02-Jun-20 11:48:25

We were certainly never allowed to use the word belly when I was a child.

I clearly remember a class-mate cringing when she had to read aloud from Genisis about the serpent going on his belly.

Tummy and bottom were acceptable, but not bum. Women and girls certainly wore panties in the Glasgow area, where most people considered knickers rude.

Most adults used tummy even when talking of their own abdomens.

As far as I am concerned everyone should be able to use or not use any of these words as they please, just as long as they don't want me to talk about my belly, or anyone else's.

Why would gusset liners be unacceptable to you,skunkhair63? Admittedly, lots of garments have gussets, but surely we would get the point regarding where to place them?

annsixty Tue 02-Jun-20 11:33:58

I dislike the word too but I don’t know why.
If it sounds ugly why can we say telly, deli, Kelly, Nellie, jelly or even ballet and it doesn’t sound ugly?

MissTree Tue 02-Jun-20 11:26:26

In my opinion, people were just saying what they dislike which is not the same as hating, refusing to say them or casting aspersions on other people’s preferences.

Furret Tue 02-Jun-20 07:49:11

BB my thoughts exactly.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jun-20 06:11:31

I find this so weird that normal everyday words can initiate such dislike in some people There is only one word I find repulsive and that’s the c word so willy tits bum belly and moist pants to all petty wordsmiths ???

CorneliaStreet Tue 02-Jun-20 05:47:14

I don't mind belly, more than that, I used to be belly dancer, haha!

Alima Tue 02-Jun-20 05:36:15

Belly is ugly.
Tummy is so, so twee, makes me want to vomit if adults use that word.
Bum is fine, earthy and bumbalicious.

HolyHannah Tue 02-Jun-20 05:35:26

ValarieF said, "I think I must live in an uncouth world where lots of other words may cause me to take an intake of breath but can say absolutely definitely 'belly' is not one of them!"

I must live in a messed up world as well. Words like "belly" and "moist" get some peoples panties in a knot?

I swear like a sailor, so the 'F'-word is non-offensive to Me.

I save my hate for words that are hateful.

Sparkling Tue 02-Jun-20 05:06:47

Would never use the word belly only in dancing or pork. The word is tummy. My mother wouldn't use it and it makes me cringe just like people saying fart, there again I was bought up in a house people on tv and radio seem obsessed with that word. I've managed all my life quite well without using either belly or f. Apart from the odd expletive I dislike swearing too. That add that states a little wee won't alter me makes me cringe each time it's on. Definitely won't be getting those.

Hetty58 Mon 01-Jun-20 23:42:02

ValerieF, I think you live in the real world (rather than an uncouth one) and not the hysterically funny, bizarre GN world - where oversensitive pearl clutchers are offended by the use of a perfectly normal word! How on Earth do they manage when a real problem occurs?

May7 Mon 01-Jun-20 23:24:25

Belly is fine with me but my favourite is Tits as in "You get on my tits" but the word I hate most is bitch , and I cringe when anyone uses it. It's such a put down either to describe a woman or in some cases as I've seen on Gransnet recently to describe yourself.
In a book club we read aloud and many participants choke on swear words but will read the word bitch quite happily. Not for me I'm afraid

ValerieF Mon 01-Jun-20 22:43:07

OMG...am so not with most of us Gransnetters lol. Would never ever be upset by the use of Belly in whatever description. I think I must live in an uncouth world where lots of other words may cause me to take an intake of breath but can say absolutely definitely 'belly' is not one of them!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:41:36

grin

I've just remembered a rather fraught situation with my mum.

She ended up shouting "Buttocks, buttocks, buttocks!" at me as I was flouncing off.

gulligranny Mon 01-Jun-20 22:27:49

"Gusset" - now there's a word! Reminds me of my nan's Directoire knickers, which were voluminous and seemed to be gathered just above the knee ...

I don't mind "bum" but I don't like "buttocks". or "crotch". I can take or leave "belly", it doesn't bother me too much.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:18:20

youtu.be/YvqSzbGeWYM

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:10:52

youtu.be/_uFQJ94szS8

Oopsminty Mon 01-Jun-20 22:07:34

I just can't imagine a doctor ever saying the word belly!

MissAdventure Mon 01-Jun-20 22:05:03

My doc says belly, and so did my daughters.
Should we report them, do you think? smile