Gransnet forums

AIBU

Driving

(73 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 16-Jun-20 11:06:06

This morning a car pulled out from a side road on my right forcing me to break. I instinctively gave a gentle bib of my horn. The car stopped mid turn and the female passenger was verbally abusing and gesticulating at me for sounding my horn.
I know it was my right of way but do you think a quick beep was being unreasonable ?

Shazmo24 Wed 17-Jun-20 12:37:32

My husband (who is a Advanced Motorist) has said using your horn was fine as you wete drawing attention to her lack of care & attention on the road

H1954 Wed 17-Jun-20 12:44:26

You did absolutely the right thing actually. A car horn is to be used to let other road user and pedestrians that you are there. Obviously, the young female, a won't call her a lady, took exception to you reminding her that she pulled out on you, almost caused a collision and was completely in the wrong! Next time anyone give you verbal abuse just smile and wave.....it annoys them no end!

H1954 Wed 17-Jun-20 12:47:15

NotSpaghetti

The highway code says it's only legal to sound a horn to "warn someone of your presence". So for example if you are watching someone reverse into you and you can't move out of the way.
If there is no immediate danger then no, you can't use it, so yes, you were wrong.

This is what the law says. Not what happens in practice.

You are not legally allowed to beep for any other reason - not even a thank you, goodbye, or from annoying behaviour.

But there was a danger, the other driver pulled out on the OP!

Rosina Wed 17-Jun-20 14:21:50

I think it is fine to warn someone of your presence in these circumstances - had you not done so she might have driven a few yards and then decided to reverse, or slam her brakes on. She obviously didn't look to se if anyone was driving past.

Devorgilla Wed 17-Jun-20 14:59:48

I gather judges sometimes ask if a driver involved in an accident had sounded their horn to warn of their presence and it can make a difference as to how the case is viewed.

Kim19 Wed 17-Jun-20 15:19:07

Well done Keeper1. Always remember my driving instructor saying the least used piece of equipment in any car should be the horn. Wise gentleman.

Jillybird Wed 17-Jun-20 15:33:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hattiehelga Wed 17-Jun-20 15:46:18

Years ago a car undertook me and cut me up crossing a dual carriageway and I had to brake. With all the traffic coming up the hill he could have caused a very bad accident and had put me in danger. I was so livid I followed him to his home and drew up behind him on his drive. He got out of his car and looked very puzzled to see me storming up to him and then told him in no uncertain terms - no bad language involved but very scathing. He never said a word. Something I would never dream of doing nowadays !!!

Catterygirl Wed 17-Jun-20 16:58:50

I agree, very brave Charleygirl.

H1954 Wed 17-Jun-20 17:02:45

Just to be cłear, the OP was in the right.

H1954 Wed 17-Jun-20 17:07:45

I have tried to attach a photo from the Highway Code but sadly it's not happening!

H1954 Wed 17-Jun-20 17:08:49

Oops, sorry GNetters, guess I did it correctly after all ! ???

TrendyNannie6 Wed 17-Jun-20 17:56:48

I would have used the horn too. Happysexagearian I did have a little giggle when you said the driver got out of his car and came to your window and asked where you had bought the horn as he’d love to have one

NotSpaghetti Wed 17-Jun-20 19:37:04

Hi954
I assumed, as the other driver had forced the OP to brake there was no need for the horn as the OP was in control.

From this I believed the OP was no longer in danger. If she was, I'm clearly wrong, so apologies.

Purplepoppies Wed 17-Jun-20 22:59:41

My sil had a nasty accident a few weeks ago. A lady pulled across the traffic infront of her to turn. Definitely not her right of way.
When the ladies husband turned up he was very angry, with my sil! Hadn't she seen his wife indicating? Well, obviously she had, made no difference to the fact it wasn't his wife's right of way and she should have waited for a break in the traffic! He even accused sil of speeding (which she wasn't).
She didn't have time to peep her horn at the dafty!!

Hetty58 Wed 17-Jun-20 23:05:32

ninathenana, some people are just nasty, driving or not. Of course you were in the right (warning her of your presence, as you shouldn't have to brake) but it seems that she just didn't like being told - tough!

Pommiegran Thu 18-Jun-20 08:54:58

I'm afraid that I have to assess just how threatening the abuser is ! I am careful not to upset anyone large, male and in a big van. You never know when they might follow you to the car park and then yell or worse.

sarahh1968 Mon 22-Jun-20 15:54:33

No, not at all, you were advising her that you were there

Puzzled Fri 26-Jun-20 17:02:55

More than ever in todays driving conditions, you need to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front (The two second rule, as advocated in the Police Driving manual - Roadcraft) and look WELL ahead, so that you have plenty of time to see a situation developing so that there is no need to brake heavily, or possibly even at all.
Not all those driving on our roads are used to UK conditions, and may not have passed a UK driving test, let alone read thew Highway Code!
Defensive driving has to m,be the motto.

ninathenana Fri 26-Jun-20 17:26:31

Puzzled even when looking well ahead if someone suddenly pulls out of a side road without proper observation a couple of metres in front of you hard breaking is inevitable.

Puzzled Fri 26-Jun-20 18:02:56

The trick is to see the possible hazard and be prepared for it, and even to give warning of one's approach
Which is what started this discussion?

Granarchist Fri 26-Jun-20 18:13:01

Highway Code says horns should be used as a "I'm here' warning. Perfectly reasonable to alert the driver to the fact they were about to wang into you. Doing them a favour even. We will all need dash cams soon to provide evidence if things get nasty. Stay safe. (Oh how I hate that expression at the moment!)