Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU. Noise from neighbors music.

(59 Posts)
JOJO60 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:57:08

Now the weather is really hot we have our windows open and all we can hear is the thud, thud, thud of the base from our neighbours outdoor speakers in their garden. It is driving us mad. Sometimes it's the 21 year old son, sometimes the mother (Dad is at work all day). We have asked them, nicely, to turn the music down on 2 occasions and they have been very apologetic and have done so. But next day it's back on again. We retired here 6 years ago because it's a quiet, semi-rural, area and none of our other (mostly retired) neighbours are noisy. Then, 18 months ago this family moved in next door and we have this racket every day. It wouldn't be so bad if we could hear the songs, but it's just this annoying base sound. We can even hear it when the windows are closed and we have to turn the TV up to drown it out. We try our best to ignore it, and now sit in the front garden, not the back which is nearest to them, but it is really starting to annoy us both. I dont want to be a moaning minnie, keep asking them to turn it down, as they are a nice family, but they just seem oblivious to it. I dont know what to do . DH is even thinking about moving house!

Guineagirl Fri 26-Jun-20 09:59:10

Mmm moving house you would have you would have to declare this. You never know when you may want to move so PLEASE think and don’t fall out.

sandelf Fri 26-Jun-20 10:08:57

If you decide to go for ear defenders - these are good, help me to garden in perfect peace in my front garden on a VERY busy road. www.amazon.co.uk/Mpow-Defenders-Protection-Construction-included-Black/dp/B01KBZDB4K/ref=asc_df_B01KBZDB4K/?hvlocphy=9045117&linkCode=df0&hvptwo&psc=1&hvnetw=g&hvadid=309932293363&hvpone&hvlocint&hvpos&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl&hvqmt&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=pla-562738500920&hvrand=5025482624055994945

pce612 Fri 26-Jun-20 10:31:11

Can you suggest that they buy their son a good pair of wireless headphones ?

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 10:39:00

I really think this sort of thing needs to be taken far more seriously. It can drive people mad. Everyone has a right to enjoy their home and garden without being subjected to excessive noise from neighbours. A few nights ago I was in bed trying to get to sleep with bedroom windows open due to the heat and someone was hammering in their garden at 11pm!! I find it totally unacceptable.

There is no need for people to play their music so loudly that it disturbs their neighbours. I used to calm my children down when they were getting too loud in the garden and just generally have consideration for other people. It’s one of my pet hates as I’ve been in a situation where a buy to letter bought the house next door to where I was living and some of the tenants were a nightmare. I even had to go out or sleep at a friend’s house on several occasions. It’s no joke and the authorities should take it far more seriously.

Guineagirl Fri 26-Jun-20 10:45:42

My elderly late Mam was guilty of loud radio, I used to visit and immediately tour it down, she was blissfully unaware she would have it on very loud and go and garden. The neighbour then started putting music on loud, she moved in the end, Mam never understood why but I do. It’s not just the young who have loud music

Guineagirl Fri 26-Jun-20 10:46:19

Neighour moved

jaylucy Fri 26-Jun-20 10:46:54

i personally would have gone with the play loud music back at them, but the idea of asking them into your garden to hear it from your side might just work.
Thing is, with it being so quiet, you can almost hear a pin drop at times! I was even able to hear the racket from people partying 7 miles away last night!
My relatively new neighbours have a huge garden (ok, so a large bit is on a slope) but they seem intent on moving into mine - their washing line is only about 2 metres from the adjoining fence, They have put lights in the garden, so it looks like a runway, and their security light is on and off all night, not to mention that all 4 of them smoke and seem to delight on sitting just the other side of our joint wall, so the smoke comes into my bedroom - this can be at any time of the day or night!

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-Jun-20 10:59:43

I think as others have suggested - ask her round, have a drink in the garden, hopefully her son will be at home with his music!! In our last house, it was on a road en route to the local college, and traffic lights were installed. We had cars with the thump, thump thump all the time, more so when they were stuck at the traffic lights! I was tempted to contact the college to ask if they could play 'nice' music!

MRGUDER Fri 26-Jun-20 11:05:02

Hi JOJO60, I used to have neighbours with teenage kids who played their music loud. I invited the Mum round for coffee and left all the internal doors open so she could hear the sound. She was astounded but it worked. In all other respects she was a wonderful neighbour.

Patsy429 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:09:28

I had this problem when new neighbours had builders in to decorate before moving in. The blast of the continual bass could be heard and felt when we were sat in the other side of the house with two brick walls. I did retaliate and blasted them with Michael Buble when it was quiet, presumably their breaks and lunch time!

Nannapat1 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:22:21

Totally empathise as neighbours, or workmen who think it's fine to inflict their choice of music on you is one of my pet hates and I mean hate! Whether you can hear the actually music or just the bases it's equally annoying as is a radio played at volume where there is unintelligible speaking between music tracks! As you can tell this is something that irritates me hugely, although for some reason a bit of 'live' music doesn't inflame me the same way: ie someone nearby played the Last Post briefly on the VE 75th anniversary day.
One would hope that a quiet word would do the trick but if they are that inconsiderate in the first place. Not sure how much councils are willing to intervene. I rather think that you have to provide a record of the noise to show that it is a persistent nuisance.

kwest Fri 26-Jun-20 11:23:52

We too have newish neighbours. The same thing, disregarding limiting numbers of people visiting during lockdown, loud laughter and music from their back garden. Drives us crazy but we are hoping someone younger will complain as we feel too old to get involved in neighbour conflicts. As it was so hot yesterday and we had our doors and windows open we blanked out their noise by playing Hauser . It did blank out their noise but they carried on playing their music. This is not a situation we want to have to be involved in. We are very quiet gardening loving types.

Paperbackwriter Fri 26-Jun-20 11:29:44

Nonogran - what is "monkey music"? Is it a genre I haven't yet heard of but should know about if I want to Keep Up?

cass123 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:37:41

You want to have my neighbours. They are well away from our home a farm. But recently (last few years) they have started renting out barns, fields ect. You name it they will rent it out. We now have great big tractors (I don't mean the little ones) thundering past our home at all hours of the day and night sometimes all night long. Boy racers (farm workers with clapped out vehicles that need new exhaust pipes thinking the quiet country lane is a race track to the farm and they are really racing drivers. Heavy plant moving equipment.
One side of our garden is very close to their lane and this noise is a couple of feet from our bedroom. Now that is noise.
We bought a house 10 years ago down a nice country lane for our retirement.

glammanana Fri 26-Jun-20 11:42:53

Paperbackwriter I am afraid it is a term which shouldn't really be used to describe music it could in some ways be thought of as racist which I'm sure was not intended.

NanaPlenty Fri 26-Jun-20 11:44:29

How awful - I’m really not good with other people’s noise, especially that music with heavy base constantly. We had awful neighbours with a dog that barked all day. We did complain as did others. Eventually they moved but they were horrid people who you couldn’t speak to. More recently a dog in the road behind us has barked incessantly - goodness knows what it was like next door - we have two garden lengths between us and that was bad. Full in a form and contact your council. People should be more considerate - we all make noise occasionally, the one off party, build work etc but not every day - that’s unacceptable.

Purplepixie Fri 26-Jun-20 11:45:52

We had that last Saturday night as one of our near neighbours decided that it was party time and they had over 100 people crammed into their small garden. Needless to say the police arrived (not called by me) and the crowd was dispersed but it was 1am!!!!! I was so tired the next day as they seemed to sleep until Monday! I hate selfish people.

NannyC1 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:04:25

Nonnogran
Sorry what do you mean by 'Monkey music'

tigger Fri 26-Jun-20 12:04:48

Sorry, but when all else fails it's time to call Environmental Health. Speakers in the garden is unacceptable.

Newatthis Fri 26-Jun-20 12:14:55

Poor you - this can drive you nuts - it would me. My daughter has had to recently sell her flat for the same reason. Very tricky - we have a barking dog next door who seems to be noise activated so anything sets him off. Good luck, I feel for you!

glammanana Fri 26-Jun-20 12:20:38

Nannogran see my post further up not a very nice remark imo.

NannyG123 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:26:56

We have someone in one of the houses that back on to our house.( can't see which house it is coming from as most of the houses have either high fences, or bushes) who during the hot weather is in the garden playing a saxophone. Well they only know one or two notes. Drivers me mad, as sometimes it goes on for hours.. I end up going indoors.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:53:50

Ask the parens to come in when their son is playing music.

Unless they hear it for themselves, most people just don't understand what we mean when we say it is tiring to listen to.

I hope you manage to get this sorted out without it becoming the kind of thing that causes trouble with neighbours.

Check with the police whether you are entitled to insist that the neighbours keep their windows shut when playing music.

ann678tifney Fri 26-Jun-20 15:49:45

I sympathise JOJO60, we have had noise problems with our neighbours for over 6 months now, since they moved in. They blast nearly every day and even worse in the evening and during the night!!! We are often woken up during the night or very early in the morning and unfortunately we have had to go down the environmental health route. It causes great distress to my disabled husband. Her music is all thump, thump thump, which makes it worse. She plays it in her Kitchen, which backs on to our Bedroom.

H1954 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:34:28

I think I would be inclined to ask them around to yours so that they can listen to exactly what you and OH are hearing. They genuinely may have no notion just how the base on their music centre is troubling you.

Say it all very nicely, explain that you have asked them to turn it down and they have complied and you're grateful for that but I actually think they don't realise how bad this is for you.

Naturally, moving would be costly and disruptive and you sound like you're otherwise happy and settled where you are. The son and his mum might horrified if they hear the base from your property and it might all turn out well.

Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.