Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU. Noise from neighbors music.

(59 Posts)
JOJO60 Thu 25-Jun-20 12:57:08

Now the weather is really hot we have our windows open and all we can hear is the thud, thud, thud of the base from our neighbours outdoor speakers in their garden. It is driving us mad. Sometimes it's the 21 year old son, sometimes the mother (Dad is at work all day). We have asked them, nicely, to turn the music down on 2 occasions and they have been very apologetic and have done so. But next day it's back on again. We retired here 6 years ago because it's a quiet, semi-rural, area and none of our other (mostly retired) neighbours are noisy. Then, 18 months ago this family moved in next door and we have this racket every day. It wouldn't be so bad if we could hear the songs, but it's just this annoying base sound. We can even hear it when the windows are closed and we have to turn the TV up to drown it out. We try our best to ignore it, and now sit in the front garden, not the back which is nearest to them, but it is really starting to annoy us both. I dont want to be a moaning minnie, keep asking them to turn it down, as they are a nice family, but they just seem oblivious to it. I dont know what to do . DH is even thinking about moving house!

Lizbethann55 Fri 26-Jun-20 19:43:18

I really don't think the impact constant loud noise can have mentally and psychologically on unwilling listeners is taken seriously enough. Are there other neighbours who can share in the complaining? If other residents other than yourselves complain it may have mor impact. If not could you come to some arrangement whereby they agree to only play the music at certain times of the day. There is far too much "we can do what we want because we want and you can't stop us" attitude. And people who complain should most definitely not be treated as boring nasty old moaners. People who like the quiet have as much right to do so as those who like to make a noise

SunnySusie Fri 26-Jun-20 20:13:59

I honestly think outdoor speakers in the garden is a bit much. We had horrendous noise issues from our neighbours a few years back and it made me ill. I felt completely helpless and out of control in my own home, so I know how stressful it can be. As you are on good terms with your neighbours I would go down the route of inviting them round to hear the noise from your side of the fence. We fell out with our neighbours over the noise, but it wasnt a good idea. The worst noise stopped, but they now indulge in low level irritation at every available opportunity. Moved their bins under our windows and take pleasure in stamping vigorously on beer cans for the recycling in the early hours. Strimming the other side of the fence next to our patio if they hear us outside. Barbie on the fence line. Balls thrown at the fence for the dog to catch, driving it into a frenzy of barking. Taking all their mobile calls on the patio. I could go on. I only really use my garden now in the early morning because luckily they are not early risers. I wish now we hadnt fallen out with them, but at the time I blew my top after party noise went on until 3am and then they started digging up their front concrete drive with a pneumatic drill at 6am on Easter Sunday. Went round in my dressing gown and complained fairly politely only to receive unbelievable levels of verbal abuse.

NannyC1 Fri 26-Jun-20 20:16:16

paperbackwriter
According to the Urban Dictionary
Music or noises made by black people which offends the sensibilities of decent and civilised white folk.
Can also refer to music or noises made by unsophisticated white people who are aping the traditions, rhythms, or performance style of black people.

I'm still not sure I am very fond of the term. X

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 20:43:02

SunnySusie I’m sure using a pneumatic drill on a path is against some kind of law. That can’t be right surely?

Paperbackwriter Fri 26-Jun-20 22:14:27

Nonogran Well thank you - now I know, thanks to NannyC1's checking with the Urban Dictionary that "Monkey Music" means 'Music or noises made by black people which offends the sensibilities of decent and civilised white folk'. Dear lord, how offensively and disgustingly racist can you be?

Dottynan Mon 29-Jun-20 06:56:41

Years ago we lived in a semi detached house with neighbours who played their tele very loud until 1 am. It made me seriously stressed until I took to putting my clock radio on for 59 mins sleep time as soon as they went to bed. I put it against their bedroom wall and they got the message and turned to the tele down

jkhanna Tue 30-Jun-20 16:59:19

I moved to North Stainmore Cumbria to get away from traffic and interfering gossipy neighbours. David Bellamy described it as the last wilderness in England Problem was a neighbour about a 1/4 mile away thought I might like to enjoy his music. So wherever you go you have inconsiderate people! Fortunately for us he was sent down for something else and isn't likely to come back. Now I just enjoy the gentle bleating of lambs and the owls hooting at night. Bliss. Good luck to you. If you fined a desert island with mod cons let me know.

moggie57 Tue 30-Jun-20 17:04:46

enviromental health will be a good place to start .look on your local council website and go through the anti socials behaviour programme .keep a diary and a recording too.........that would drive me crackers .!!! my neighbours slam doors day and esp early mornings 1-2 am. and talk at the top of their voices .i am in the process of getting liason team to investigate... my sleep is disrupted every evening....